December 12, 2020 – Live Lesson: How to Become a More Confident Ukulele Player

Home Page Forums Monthly Live Lessons December 12, 2020 – Live Lesson: How to Become a More Confident Ukulele Player

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Live Stream: Saturday, December 12th at 12:00pm EST (check your local time zone)

Hey guys, we are back with Live Lesson EP025! This month’s topic is: How to Become a More Confident Ukulele Player.

This month’s topic should stir up some great questions! So please post all you have below and I hope you guys join us for the live stream. 🙂

LIVE LESSONS FAQ:

Q: What happens in a live lesson, how long is it, and when does it occur?

A: Live lessons are usually 30-45 minutes in length, but can extend until all questions are answered. The first 20 minutes will comprise of the lesson, while the next 10-25 minutes will be a Q&A session for premium members.

Live lessons take place every second Saturday of the month at 12:00pm EST (check your local time zone).

Q: Can I submit questions beforehand?

A: Absolutely! Basic and premium members are welcome to post questions that are related to the topic in THIS thread.

Q: Who can watch the live stream, how do I watch it, and how do I chat with Matt and other members?

A: Premium members will be able to tune in and watch the livestream. Premium members will also be able to chat live with Matt during the broadcast.

To watch the live stream, simply navigate to the Live Lessons Page. You will see a YouTube video embedded on the page (if you don’t see it, double check that you are logged in).

If you do not wish to participate in the live chat, you can stay on the page and watch the embedded video. If you do wish to participate in the live chat, you will need to sign up for a YouTube account (100% FREE).

To participate in the live chat, click on the embedded YouTube video’s title. This will open up a new tab and take you directly to the video on YouTube’s website. The live chat box can be found to the right of the video (on desktop). For mobile and tablet, the live chat is embedded inside the video and can be turned on or off.

For further clarification, here is a video showing how to do the above (for desktop).

Q: I can’t make the broadcast. When will live streams be released publicly?

A: The live lesson will be released for everyone to view on Monday following the broadcast (third Monday of the month). If you cannot make the broadcast, no worries; you’ll still be able to watch the lesson. Don’t forget that you can submit questions for Matt to answer beforehand (see the above FAQ).

andyrose
    Participant

Hey Matt – Because of time zones and schedule I can almost never catch the live lessons in real time, but I always enjoy watching them afterwards. I don’t have a specific question but I’m very interested to hear what you’ll say about building confidence. Obviously practice practice practice is key.

What’s paradoxical for me is that I felt more confident playing (for friends, at performance parties) when I was just beginning and could only strum through a basic chord progression. As I work on more advanced techniques – but oh so painfully slowly – I actually feel more hesitant to play (semi)publicly. It’s as though the more I know, the more I realize how little I know, and the more sensitized I am to how poor my technique is. Help!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Andy – don’t miss this when I post it live. He’s talking about some scientific study that relates exactly to what your 2nd paragraph states.

joe150
    Participant

I got a bad case of stage fright. I work hard on memory of tabs, when that camera come on, I just freeze up.

I have tried doing the video a lot of times , I freeze up ever time. This is my question for the lesson.

cinichol
    Participant

Oh shoot! I got time zones mixed up! Really wanted to see this one. Will catch the recording.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s the video if you missed the live stream 🙂

cinichol
    Participant

Thank you!

smokealot
    Participant

“You should only compare yourself to your own enjoyment”.

That live lesson was probably the most helpful one I have seen so far. A real boost towards becoming a better player simply by starting to enjoy more. Because that is what it is all about for me. If some performences come along with that in the future I am ok with it but first of all I am going to enjoy it more.

Thank you so much for this amazing live lesson!

andyrose
    Participant

Hey, Matt – I watched the replay last night – thanks! So I’m a Dunning-Kruger test case and didn’t even know it!

What you say about the importance of having fun is SO true, not only for our own state of mind but also for engagement with an audience. A brief story to illustrate . . .

About a half-dozen years ago Heidi and I had just started to learn Lindy Hop swing dancing. And we happened to be walking along the harbour in Victoria, BC, during a summer outdoor jazz festival. The band that was onstage struck up a tune that was exactly the right tempo for our limited abilities. There was a wide area in the sidewalk, so we put down our shopping parcels and started dancing enthusiastically.

At that time we knew only about three moves, so we just cycled through those moves for the whole song. A few people gathered to watch. At the end they congratulated us and I think there was even a little applause. What the onlookers said to us was NOT “those were spectacular moves” or “that was the best dancing I’ve ever seen.” What they said was, “You looked like you were having so much fun!”

We were in our mid-sixties then, now seventy years old. And still having fun. Here’s a tiny clip from somebody’s phone, taken at my wife’s workplace Christmas party a couple of years back.

mattukulele
    Participant

Thank you so much for sharing this! 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.