Give Up?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

I’ve been playing for 6 months and a member here for two. I’ve learned 4 level one songs and feel like I’m getting better with each one. I started “I’m Yours” 2 days ago and CANNOT get it. Even the rhythm for the intro sounds wrong when I play it. I slow it down, play it over and over. It sounds chunky and like a train when I do it. I watched extra videos. Nothing has been this difficult before. Moving ahead makes me want to punch myself it sounds so bad. It’s frustrating.

When you get stuck do you move on to another song or keep beating away at it until it happens? I feel like if something doesn’t change, I’m just making a habit of doing it wrong. Thoughts?

charlene
    Participant

Send a video of you playing this song to Andrew, and he will evaluate it and make suggestions as to how to improve it. I would stop playing the song until you hear from him because once it’s hard wired into your brain incorrectly, it will be much more difficult to correct it. Hope this helps. Don’t get discouraged.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Don’t give up! Post a video here, happy to help!

lisadmh
    Participant

I can fumble my way through level 2 and sometimes level 3 songs, but I can’t get anywhere at all with I’m yours and I’ve been playing for over a year and a half. I think it’s quite a bit harder than it claims to be.

Maybe try another song a bit and see if you can get it going a bit easier? No point in sticking so hard work one song that’s not working and getting discouraged with the uke overall.

Thanks Andrew (and Charlene and Lisa),

I recorded this with slides at first and then just rhythm, so you can see the problem.

Andrew
    Keymaster

So your rhythm and timing sounds fine when just strumming. But adding the melody, that’s where things get challenging.

1) You are trying to add melody at same tempo you can strum at, but you are not there yet. Slow it down, and work on adding it in.

2) Make sure you understand how the melody hits fit into the rhythm:

3) Your right hand is extended out like a high 5. This creates an extra pause in time to shift into plucking position. I’d recommend strumming with a claw shape, as taught in this lesson.

null

Thanks so much Andrew!

Andrew
    Keymaster

My pleasure! Post a video after you practice a bit, happy to continue helping!

reneemur
    Participant

I have felt like this when working on many songs. I have a real problem fretting some chords. I have a bad case of arthritis in my fingers, and they don’t bend either way on the first knuckle making it hard not to be striking the string next to that fret. I haven’t given up yet, but I’m sure there must be some solutions. My fingers get all twisted on the fretboard.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@reneemur – Could you post a video of you playing? I’d be happy to take a look to make sure your form looks okay 🙂

reneemur
    Participant

I don’t know how to do that. I’ll see if I can find someone to help with that.

reneemur
    Participant

Are there any instructions for putting a video onto UTube? How can I send one to this site? It’s all so complicated. I didn’t know it was going to be so frustrating. I just want to play the ukulele. Is 71 too old?

reneemur
    Participant

I’m on you tube. I found help. How do I get the video to Andrew?

smokealot
    Participant

I dont think one is ever too old to start anything 🙂

Here is a youtube link on how to upload videos here:

(Below the video is a button “share” which i clicked anD then hit “copy link”. The link can just be pasted here and it will show the video in the forum)

becky7777
    Participant

The link for the video has to be on it’s own line (it can’t be pasted here)

(You paste it here)

Then when you submit the post the video appears above this text.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.