Help. The B directly below the middle C

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Help. The B directly below the middle C

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    rickeymike
    Participant

Looking at a tenor lead sheet music. There is just one note in the entire song that I can’t play that is part of a 2 note chord in the entire song. The chord consists of G and that low B. Is there a simple remedy for this? I know nothing about changing keys and that sort of thing. I’m stuck with what’s in front of me.

becky7777
    Participant

What’s the chord Ricky? I’m not sure what you mean.

kirpuff
    Participant

Maybe you could play the B an octave higher?

rickeymike
    Participant

Becky, see attached. It’s two whole notes, plucked together. I thought that was a chord because it’s more than one note…….so as written, this can’t be played on a regular ukulele without having a low G string?

kirpuff
    Participant

Or play a D below the G instead of the B?

rickeymike
    Participant

kirpuff, I just tried your suggestion and it sounded just slightly off, then I tried the open C and the open E together and it sounded pretty good. So is this basically a trial and error thing when you have a lower note that goes beyond the range of the ukulele?

becky7777
    Participant

Oh. Remember I don’t read music, but I see what your asking now. I’m assuming the one under the staff is a B since it isnt the G. So take my answer as clueless but it’s what I’d try.

If it were me I’d try to play the B on the low G string and the G on the C sting and see how that sounded first since it’s just two notes. (4th and 7th fret) If you’re high g, then try the B on the C string and the open high g? (Or the 3rd fret E string high g if you wanted a fretted sound?

That’s probably not what you were looking for…

rickeymike
    Participant

Guys, I think my problems are that I am tying to play off of sheet music for a tenor lead (I don’t know what a tenor lead is). Obviously as I play through it, it’s not what I anticipated. I need to find a straight Lead Sheet as a beginning point. Do you agree?

Lesson: Don’t get a free trial of Guitar Pro and try cramming a bunch of experimentation in 30 days. I am neglecting my challenge but I’m obsessed with this darn monster program. LOL

rickeymike
    Participant

Becky, I think you came close to my solution……and see my latest comment, I am totally obsessed with standard notation (damn Andrew’s course LOL)…….and for Robin’s sake, just as obsessed as playing Zelda, the game that is, in the 80’s.

That’s what I was doing last month with the Romeo & Juliet Love Theme….total obsession, but open the PDF file that I attached to the song and the results at first glance look impressive which led me to the next song I’m doing now………UGH, time to devote to some “Jigging”.

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi @rickeymike – my approach depends entirely on context. I assume you are playing the melody on your uke. If so, which note carries the melody? Is it the B or the G?

If it’s the G (which it normally would be, being the higher note), I like @kirpuff’s suggestion of playing a D instead of a B. A G major chord is GBD, so playing the D would be similar. Otherwise, there are a few options you could take.

1) Buy a guitar or a guitalele.
    2) Use a low G uke and play 4X3X.
    3) Detune your ukulele so it’s a semitone lower. It’s quite easy for me to play that interval on my Bb-tuned uke (I think it’s not technically a chord unless there are 3 notes).
    4) Don’t detune your uke, but transpose the whole song up one semitone so that B becomes a C.

robinboyd
    Participant

I just wanted to add to number 4) I know you said you don’t know anything about changing keys, but in this case, you would just play everything one fret higher. That’s it.

rickeymike
    Participant

Thanks Robin. I definitely need some face time with a musician that can teach these sort of things to me.

Your question to me: Which note carries the melody? How do I determine this? See, that’s what I mean about someone sitting down with me and teaching stuff like that.

jinajupiter
    Participant

Rickey, maybe if you give us a bit more info of in what context the two notes g and b are so we might be able to help you.
    If the harmonic situation is Em you could play e-note,
    but it could just as well be G major, so the d-note is missing,
    or B aug so d#-note is missing,
    or C#07 so the c# and b-flat are missing,
    or C#ø7 so the c# and b-notes are missing
    etc etc. but which of all of this is hard to tell without the rest.
    Give us more info. 🙂
    If you want the song to be a surprise to us all feel free to p.m. me.
    I understand a bit if harmony because I play the piano.
    Friendly regards, J.J.

jinajupiter
    Participant

P.s. most often, but not always, the top note is the melody note.
    If it doesn’t sound too empty, just leave the b out.
    I see in you vids that you got good ears, so you can also just use the ears to find a nice second voice note that could fit, rather then dig into harmony books.
    That might go faster and is more creative.

rickeymike
    Participant

Hi Jina, In a nutshell, that’s what I do – my “hunt and pluck” method. Basically, I’m asking what can I do when a note (low B) is out of the Ukulele range…… I used my hunk/pluck method to find a substitute note. Yes, leaving the “B” out DOES work!

Please forgive my great ignorance, but I can’t grasp what you are saying about chords, missing notes, harmonic situations, etc. etc.

Since there is no more P.M. on our site, here’s my email address: [email protected] or if you are on facebook, I’m RICKEY BROWN with the same wide smile as my facebook pic. I don’t know how to send a link to my facebook page, if there is such a way.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by rickeymike.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.