Help Us Plan Our Lesson Curriculum for 2020!

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Help Us Plan Our Lesson Curriculum for 2020!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    gstriph
    Participant

I’d like to learn more riffs and other things to do between chord changes in various keys (walk ups – either notes or with chords) to spice up strumming songs – low or high G.

Love the site.

Jerry

Andrew
    Keymaster

@lyndallk – Yes! Can you email me in October to remind me 🙂

samash07
    Participant

I’d love to see some arrangements of popular video game soundtracks.

Other than that, anything would be great! I joined last year but unsubscribed due to other matters but recently got back in during September. Here’s to a great year ahead and may we all achieve our ukulele goals with RC101.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by samash07.
    lisamcc
    Participant

Another awesome year Andrew thank you. Next year – I would LOVE some more flamenco technique type stuff, there is very very little out there for the uke. (unless someone can enlighten me!) Taimaine’s playing style would be awesome: she was very influential in getting me into the uke and I only found your site because I looked up Habanera after seeing her play it.
    Thank you for all the inspiration. Have a great festive season, with a well deserved rest and have a fabulous new year!
    Lisa x

lisadmh
    Participant

Hi Andrew. Thanks for a great 2019! So much great content and learning. I’m looking forward to all you’ll bring us in 2020.

A few suggestions:

1. Give names to the Etudes. Outta really hard to remember I can play 1, 3, 7, 14, but wasn’t to learn 15, have started 17, and love 19, and haven’t gotten to 23 yet. And of what about 12? Etc. Song names world be great. They deserve it. ☺

2. Feature more Etudes in challenges. These are some of my favorite pieces but they never get picked.

3. Ease up on the holiday themed challenges. Diversity is your strength here. RC101 wouldn’t be nearly the big group it is if it weren’t for the diverse group of people from all around the world. The world doesn’t all celebrate American traditional holidays like Christmas and Halloween. I’d suggest offering one holiday theme song in the challenge for those who wish to celebrate that specific holiday, but the rest of the songs could be non specific so everyone in this big diverse wonderful group can take part.

4. Someone mentioned before a voting app thing for each song where members could rate the difficulty of each song. I love this suggestion. It could add to your level ranking by letting us rate too. Levels are subjective sometimes based on the skills we have our don’t have and sometimes I find a 3 easier than a 1. This rating would give us another guide.

5. More of the same! I love the standard way you do things. I love the variety of songs. I love the Etudes. I love low G as well as high g. I love the voting for songs. I don’t need the singing, but I understand some people like that.

6. A vague dream. Some alt rock please? Not a specific song request, but some alt rock would be great.

7. Any ideas on how to make the forums more busy? I hold my random chatter here because it’s so quiet, but I’d love to see more chatter among us.

Thank you for all you do, Andrew and team!

ramiro
    Participant

Like jinajupiter I’d love to see lessons on Flamenco techniques for example suitable strumming and finger picking patterns. Another topic I’m interested in is adapting rock songs to the ukulele. How do you choose what to pick, leave out or add so it works well on the ukulele?

Apart from my wishes, I want to thank you for all the great lessons you and your team have created and for how friendly and responsive you are in this forum. You make many people’s lives better by teaching music. I hope you’ll keep on being successful doing that.

fintail

Hawaiian Slack Key Style. If you can get a hawaiian guest to teach us that would be great. Like David Heaukulani.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thanks to everyone who left feedback and happy new year! I def think we can tackle a few of your ideas and we can chat about it here, but I thought we’d start w/ one idea. A few of you suggested a course on how to arrange. I think this is something we can do, BUT it would probably have to be arranging at a beginner level. So my question is, would you still be interested if we taught you how to write pieces at this difficulty/intricacy.

rickeymike
    Participant

Andrew, Yes. I would definitely be interested. Even if it was a step by step ‘how to’ arrangement of Aura Lee.

marygrace
    Participant

It would be helpful to receive education about the low G ukulele set up. Thinks that were helpful to me when I started where: What are the string choices and differences between them, why is this string so much different than the other strings, why do some songs sound better on low g and some better on high g, are all the note sounds on this string effected or just some of them, can you put the low g string on all size ukuleles, are some ukuleles better to handle the low g string than others. I’m sure there are many other questions that I haven’t even thought of when it comes to a low g.

I have both a low g uke and a high g uke and love playing both of them. Which one I want to play that day may depend on my mood or a beautiful song. Either way they are both fun!
    MG

becky7777
    Participant

@Andrew -On your arrangement statement. Considering i’m benefiting from everything, sounds good? Can’t say I’m ‘past’ it. (I managed to make Free Falling difficult, so i’m sure I’ll benefit.)

grobertson

Hi Andrew
    You do a really stellar job !
    I have learnt a lot from being a premium member, just wish I had a bit more time to practice
    🙂
    Anyway, was wondering if there is any chance of including one or two songs in 2020 that are played on slightly different styles of ukes ?
    I am an intermediate player and have a number of standard tenor ukes with different tunings, but I also have an electric low G tenor, and a baritone too. It would be really great to have a couple of songs that well suited these instruments, if you are able

spanspoon
    Participant

could we get the odd thing to learn on the baritone? nothing major as i know it’s not a popular instrument but perhaps there is a niche there?!

jinajupiter
    Participant

I wondered if it is possible to make the melody notes bigger and the accompaniment notes smaller like cue notes so it is easier to distinguish the melody. I found Danse Macabre a bit hard to read and listened a lot to the orchestra version and Evan’s recording to understand what is melody and what accompaniment.
    Is it possible to glue the last bar with the final chord of a song behind the last staff? To save paper?
    🙂 thanks.

jinajupiter
    Participant

Maybe some slide ukulele with bottle neck?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.