How Deep Is Your Love – Bee Gees

Home Page Forums Showcase Your Playing How Deep Is Your Love – Bee Gees

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ukandrea
    Participant

Hi Ukulele friends,
    here comes my first video recording attempt of Steven’s beautiful arrangement of the Bee Gee’s “How Deep is our Love”:

I wanted to make a special video outside in the garden. Unfortunately my Uke permanently went out of tune as I was standing in the sun on the hottest day of the year plus had several other stupid recording accidents loosing my best takes. So this will have to do for the moment…
    And I guess I do not need to tell anybody here that I can do better when not recording…

I hope you like it nevertheless,
    Andrea

ukandrea
    Participant

@Andrew: Would you have guidance for bars 26 and 27 how to improve on the double stop part including the slides and pull offs in this section? I never get a clear sound for the pull off on the A string from 1 to 0.

Thank you so much!
    Andrea

Steven
    Participant

Hi Andrea, first of all I have to congratulate you on learning the whole piece and playing it through from memory. There is a LOT going on in this arrangement and it’s not easy to play at all!
    I think you’re doing a great job with this piece, and I know that curse of the record button only too well!!

As for bars 26 & 27 I think you’re being a bit hard on yourself, especially when it comes to that A string pull off from 1 to 0. I’m hearing it come through loud and clear and in fact when I listened back to my performance I think your pull off sounds better than mine.

For the sliding double stops I noticed you use your 3rd finger for the last note of bar 25 (6th fret on the A string). If you are able to play this with the 4th finger it makes it easier to get your 1st and 2nd finger into the double stop position for the start of measure 26. Practice this section really slowly and as you move your 4th finger from the 5th fret to the 6th fret on the A string at the end of bar 25 take off the first finger bar across the 3rd fret and get your 1st and 2nd finger ready in position to hit that double stop on beat 1 of bar 26. This should help speed up that transition.

If you watch that section of the lesson again you could try the twisting wrist trick to help the slides sound a little smoother.

Keep doing what you’re doing though because overall I think it’s sounding great!

Hope this helps 🙂

Take care,
    Steve

ukandrea
    Participant

Thank you, Steven.
    I am really happy that you noticed my upload and gave me such a dedicated feedback.
    I will try to incorporate your tips in my playing.
    Your technics are great and your lessons easy to follow along and I learned so much from you already.
    Whereas I did not really like the triplet strum and Irish style music (not because of you, just I did not like that type of music so much), nevertheless I learned from it.
    But I really really love your melodic arrangements of Spanish Romance and How Deep is Your Love with all the vibrato, sliding, Hammer ons and pull offs. The Bee Gees song made it immediately from zero to the top of my long “I want to learn this” list. And I really hope you will do another melodic/emotional arrangement in the future.
    I highly appreciate your attitude of honoring and respecting great music compositions which is visible in just a raise of your eyebrow and a glance in your eyes when playing – there are nor more explaining words needed.
    You are a great win for Andrew’s teacher team.

Best,
    Andrea

nthibode

Nice work, Andrea! I’m also learning (and really enjoying!) this piece. It’s a fun and worthwhile challenge.

I should mention — I struggle with the pull-off on the A string from 1 to 0 too!

Cheers,
    ~Nathalie

ukandrea
    Participant

Cool, I am looking forward to your performance, Nathalie.

Here comes my improved version (unfortunately without garden setting):

Andrea

sebi75

Your new version sounds very nice Andrea.
    This song is also on my list.
    Awesome work.
    Greetings Sebastian

Andrew
    Keymaster

Playing sounds great, Andrea! Only thing I’d suggest is to work on timing – some of the notes/phrases are a little rushed. Try to count the rhythms while you play or you could sing the lyrics along too 🙂

ukandrea
    Participant

Thank you Sebastian and Andrew!
    Andrea

liboriuson
    Participant

Sounds nice, great work 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.