It Is Well With My Soul

Home Page Forums Showcase Your Playing It Is Well With My Soul

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

‘Ello friends! 😊

So, this is an arrangement I’ve been working on for a while, on and off. This hymn–by Horatio Spafford and Philip Paul Bliss–is pretty special to me because of its meaning and because it’s one of the first complete songs I’ve arranged on my own for ukulele.

I play this in between tryna learn RC101’s tricky, tricky songs, which are way more challenging than the arrangements I attempt, but that’s definitely a good thing. It’s neat that the more I learn from here and the song tutorials here, it gives me ideas for improving my own arrangements, so I owe so most of my progress in that regard to the people here. 😊

Anyway, here ’tis:

gi_gi_
    Participant

Wow, very nice @TBB I also enjoyed your post this month. I keep forgetting to post it.

recdog
    Participant

@tbb that is REALLY nice. If that arrangement was one of the lessons on this site I would want to learn it. You play with tremendous ease, both right and left hand.
    Ron

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@gi_gi_ , thank you so much, my friend! That really means a lot. Ha, I had way too much fun with one of those videos in the monthly challenge. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜…

@recdog
    , thank you SO much for saying that! I’m such a sick, sick fangirl of this site that having one of my arrangements used for one of the lessons would be a dream come true–as long as I didn’t have to teach it πŸ˜…, because I just don’t have enough music education or really teaching ability. This arrangement isn’t even written down yet. 😳

Thank you again so much, I feel really encouraged by your words. πŸ™‚

gi_gi_
    Participant

@TBB how did you do the trick to look like you were inside a uke? That was cool πŸ˜‚

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@gi_gi_ haha so I used a video editing program that allowed you to insert an image as the background and I just took the image of the inside of a uke and used that. Fun fact: that image was corrupted / virus-ridden and almost broke my computer. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜… I fixed it though. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜³

surferjay
    Participant

@tbb Very soothing and sounds great on the Uke. Next thing you’ll have your own lessons on here!

You should definitely win this months challenge as the first person ever to play the Ukulele within a Ukulele.. genius πŸ’‘

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@surferjay, thank you kindly, my friend! 😊 Ha, that would be beyond amazing, but I dare not truly dream such things.

Hahahaha!! Thank you! πŸ˜‚ Part of why I did that was to force myself to speak on camera because I’m trying to build up courage in that regard, and other regards. I’m trying to do things outside my comfort zone, man. πŸ˜…πŸ˜‰

gi_gi_
    Participant

Hilarious πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ @TBB

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@gi_gi_ haha of course all of that would happen. It’s the universe telling me I shouldn’t be doing such things. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚

Both your riffs in this month’s challenge were awesome, by the way! I like how we use these threads to comment on things going on in the challenges. πŸ˜…

gi_gi_
    Participant

@TBB hey thanks so much. I worked on the Funk riff but after listening to everyone’s Country Riff I couldn’t get that music out of my head so I tried to learn it. I thought about learning another but I don’t want to invest the time πŸ˜‚

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@gi_gi_ ha I know what you mean. I get these songs stuck in my head real’ bad’. πŸ˜… That’s awesome that you learned two. I wanted to as well but I thought it’d be better to focus my energy into getting one as good as it could be even though they’re short. It takes me a while to get any song smooth.

leb397
    Participant

@The_bumble_bard Nicely done! I love that hymn. The harmony and response when sung is so pretty. Love your arrangement. I had “how great thou art” stuck in my head when I first started playing 4 years ago but the best I could do is strum the cords… maybe I’ll go back and take another look. I think hymns can be so pretty on the uke. But I love a broad array of music being of a more senior group here 😎
    Keep playing. Louisa

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@leb397, thank you so much! 😊 I love this hymn, too, and you’re right that they sound extra pretty on the uke. I actually did try to capture that “call and response,” harmony and response, effect in the chorus playing the open strings and emphasizing the melody notes, as if the E string and G string were calling and responding. That’s the weird way I thought about it while arranging it. πŸ˜‚

For some reason, I felt like you specifically would like this one and turns out we do both love these hymns. πŸ˜…How Great Thou Art is another lovely one, you should revisit it for sure!

Side note, I’m trying to write out the tabs for this one, but it’s a daunting process as I’ve only arranged songs by ear first. Matt actually advised me how to approach this process in a private lesson last week, which was pretty magical, so hopefully it’ll go well. They may exist at some point. πŸ˜…

jayleendoyle
    Participant

That’s very cool, I really like how beautifully you played it. Great music, keep up the good work. I’ll keep an eye out for it.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by jayleendoyle.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by jayleendoyle.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.