I’m Yours

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    surferjay
    Participant

Hi, I’m completely stuck in the strumming pattern for I’m yours. Would it be possible if someone could write it down ie. Up, Down, Chuck, up, down, Chuck.

It would be greatly appreciated as it’s driving me insane.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Check out this video for a more in-depth look at it. But the strum pattern follows the golden rule: strum down on a down beat and up on an up beat. Meaning:

Down for beats 1, 2, 3, 4

Up for the &’s

surferjay
    Participant

That’s amazing Andrew thanks.

I’m stuck on the intro though I can’t work out the pattern and if your muting, chucking or tapping. It sounds so good I have to learn it 🙂

Sorry to be a pain but if you could just explain the intro pattern.. thank you.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Let me know if this video answers it – I get asked for help with this song a lot and have a lot of private videos, but I can’t recall what I talked about in all of them lol.

surferjay
    Participant

Perfect 🙂 Thank you for taking the time to post this.

surferjay
    Participant

I just wanted to give an update and say thanks 🙂 I’ve been a member for a couple of weeks+ now. When I first signed up I did not fully understand the value of all the tools/support.

The little tips such as striking the fret board with your thumb transform the sound and in a million years I would not have learnt that (even from YouTube).

My biggest oversight was the tool for looping the bars (online tab player). I spent most of the day trying to work out from the video the first two bars of the verse. I just couldn’t get it (even thought it was explained thoroughly). I sat down for 5 minutes this evening and looped those bars at 50% and i understood exactly the timing after that.

Honestly I’m completely out of my depth with this arrangement but I actually believe I can learn it with enough determination and the tools/tips/lessons provided.

Thanks for everything. Greatly appreciated.

Andrew
    Keymaster

That’s so awesome to hear, Jay! I’m excited for your progress. Anytime you need help or have playing questions, let me know 🙂

surferjay
    Participant

I have a general question. I can pick the melody notes with my thumb. But in the verse I’m using my ring finger.. it’s a lot clearer /cleaner. I was just wondering if this is a bad habit to get into or if I should continue with what works…

Andrew
    Keymaster

I think that’s fine 🙂

surferjay
    Participant

Hey Andrew,

I’ve progressed to the chorus 🙂 I just had a quick question. I noticed in the above video you muted the strumming with your left hand. However, in the tutorial it looks like your muting with a slap with the right hand.. could you clarify the correct technique..

Andrew
    Keymaster

Congrats on the progress! Muting is with the left hand.

surferjay
    Participant

Hi Andrew, I’ve improved on the chorus and can play a version of it 🙂 however I’m muting with my left hand (by covering any open strings and releasing pressure) and just strumming normally with my right hand (no slap or Chuck).

It sounds ok but when I watch you play it looks like your not covering all the strings during the mute. Do you have any videos of your finger position for the muted chords… it’s hard to work out from the video..

Andrew
    Keymaster

Can you share a video playing that part? I’ll be better able to help if I can see/hear what you’re doing.

surferjay
    Participant

Hope this helps and isn’t to painful 😎✌️

surferjay
    Participant

It was to big to upload so I uploaded to YouTube :

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.