Jake Shimabukuro

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Jake Shimabukuro

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    deadbuggy
    Participant

We saw Jake perform last night at the University of Michigan and it was incredible! We were in the 6th row and could see his masterful technique up close. All the things that Andrew and Stephen teach here from strums to finger picking to harmonics and dynamics…I may not be able to replicate it but at least I knew it all when I saw it! He did a mini-acoustic set with the wide-neck soprano (with tenor range) ukulele his brother has created — I was so impressed with the look and sound that I ordered one this morning. It will complete my ‘Jake Swag’ package because at the show I also bought his new CD and a t-shirt. Worth every penny!

becky7777
    Participant

I found Jake on YouTube for the first time a few nights ago. He is a great player you were lucky to see him play 🙂 AND you had great seats! Congrats on your new ukulele too! 😀

The first time a ukulele really made me say “Wow!” was when I saw a video of Honoka and Azita performing Bodysurfing. Didn’t know ukulele could be so cool, so I did a search for more ukulele videos on youtube and I found Jake. If Honoka and Azita made me say “Wow!”, Jake made me say “WOW!!!” and inspired to learn how to play one.

I put off buying a ukulele for a year I think but during that time, I always watch his videos and just leaves me speechless every single time.

lisadmh
    Participant

Ah, I want to see him! It’s amazing you had that chance. It must be very motivating. You’ll get there. 😁😁😁

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by lisadmh.
    ambera

That is awesome! I would love to see him again. I saw him once, probably 15 years ago, at the Teluride Bluegrass Festival. He was a “in betweeen” act. It was just him and his uke and he got the whole crowd listening and cheering first song. He was amazing! I bought his CD right away, he is a total inspiration.

mheiden
    Participant

That sounds exciting! We are going to see him in Napa, CA on December 6th. I can’t wait. Looking forward to seeing how you like the uke his brother makes. I’ve seen it on his site.

rickkhan
    Participant

@deadbuggy, sweet! My partner surprised me for my birthday and got tickets for the Jake show at the Ordway theatre in St. Paul, MN 9/27/2018. I got a chance to meet him for a brief minute and he signed my poster. His playing is so amazing, it’s mindblowing the sound that comes out of his Uke. Rick

https://photos.app.goo.gl/coCpE6MzWXJYnGYJ8

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by rickkhan.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.