July 8th, 2019 – Live Lesson Topic: Practicing with a Metronome

Home Page Forums Monthly Live Lessons July 8th, 2019 – Live Lesson Topic: Practicing with a Metronome

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

July Live Stream: Monday, July 8th at 7:00pm EST (check your local time zone)

Hey guys, we are back with Live Lesson EP008! This month’s topic is: Practicing with a Metronome.

Have you ever felt lost or confused when trying to practice with a metronome? Worry not, as this month’s live lesson will lay down a clear path to help you see how rhythm fits within the walls of the “click”. You’ll also learn why using a metronome is an incredibly valuable tool for practicing.

This month’s topic should stir up some great questions! So please post all that you have below and I hope you guys join us for the live stream. 🙂

LIVE LESSONS FAQ:

Q: What happens in a live lesson, how long is it, and when does it occur?

A: Live lessons are usually 30-45 minutes in length, but can extend until all questions are answered. The first 20 minutes will comprise of the lesson, while the next 10-25 minutes will be a Q&A session for premium members.

Live lessons take place every second Monday of the month at 7:00pm EST (check your local time zone).

Q: Can I submit questions beforehand?

A: Absolutely! Basic and premium members are welcome to post questions that are related to the topic in THIS thread.

Q: Who can watch the live stream, how do I watch it, and how do I chat with Matt and other members?

A: Premium members will be able to tune in and watch the livestream. Premium members will also be able to chat live with Matt during the broadcast.

To watch the live stream, simply navigate to the Live Lessons Page. You will see a YouTube video embedded on the page (if you don’t see it, double check that you are logged in).

If you do not wish to participate in the live chat, you can stay on the page and watch the embedded video. If you do wish to participate in the live chat, you will need to sign up for a YouTube account (100% FREE).

To participate in the live chat, click on the embedded YouTube video’s title. This will open up a new tab and take you directly to the video on YouTube’s website. The live chat box can be found to the right of the video (on desktop). For mobile and tablet, the live chat is embedded inside the video and can be turned on or off.

For further clarification, here is a video showing how to do the above (for desktop).

Q: I can’t make the broadcast. When will live streams be released publicly?

A: The live lesson will be released for everyone to view on the day following the broadcast (second Tuesday of the month). If you cannot make the broadcast, no worries; you’ll still be able to watch the lesson. Don’t forget that you can submit questions for Matt to answer beforehand (see the above FAQ).

lisadmh
    Participant

Great topic! The metronome is easy with a nice steady 4/4, but I can’t do a thing with swung 8s or syncopation. Looking forward to the guidance.

becky7777
    Participant

Some things that still make me wonder:

I notice some songs that have a fast time are slower songs.

143 BPM Bonded by Blood, Exodus. (According to a tab site) I consider this a fast song. Faster than PM below.
    164 BPM Pineapple Mango, Daniel Ho (straight from Dan) -slower than BbB I’d think.

I donno.
    ————-
    Ok kind of bad examples since I chose bbb from a live vid. But you get the idea. And im going off the guitar not the drums btw lol.
    ————-

Andrew in a lot of lessons is like “We play the 8th notes like quarter notes”

Why not just make them quarters?
    ————
    ————

I’ve messed a bit with slowing down my click to fill in beats recently. BPM 120= metronome set at 30 BPM. According to a jazz theory guy on YouTube who seems legit, it’s supposed to help me internalize timing by making the click one of the beats and you fill in the other 3, in 4/4 time.

Anyway, it’s all fine and good. But the BPM is messing with me and is confusing. Hope this made sense.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by becky7777. Reason: Clarified so people didn't need to subject themselves to Exodus to see what I meant
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by becky7777. Reason: I'm an idiot. but I don't have time to find a better example
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@becky7777Andrew in a lot of lessons is like “We play the 8th notes like quarter notes”

Why not just make them quarters?

—-

This question is in reference to counting in 6/8, which tells you to count six eighth notes per measure.

Most of the time we are playing in 4/4, which tells us to count 4 (top number) quarter notes (bottom number) per measure. Which means that we get so used to counting 1,2,3,4 and associating these numbers as quarter notes (which they are).

So when we switch to 6/8. I don’t want people to get confused and try to count it as 1 & 2 & 3 &. So I recommend to count it as whole numbers (1 2 3 4 5 6), which ties back to the association of quarter notes in 4/4 (which are whole numbers). But they are not quarter notes, it is 6 8th notes.

I’m sure Matt can elaborate more on this.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here is the PDF for tonight 🙂

lisadmh
    Participant

Devices are all charged and ready to go. I love the live lessons. See y’all soon. I’ll be “Zil”

becky7777
    Participant

Made it in time again finally lol

lisadmh
    Participant

Another question! What do you do when you’re playing a nice 4/4 quarter note song with the metronome and it has a rit somewhere in the middle? Or that weird shaped thing that draws out one note. It messes me up.

Etude 17. Metronome is really helpful until I get to bar 47, then it all falls apart.

Thanks!

becky7777
    Participant

This was helpful in a bunch of ways. Matt’s example of messing up star wars is how most of my entries turn out. (My daw counts the measures before export)

If my recording matches the sheet music it generally makes me happy. If I’m +/- bars it’s usually me adding or subtracting time because things just change once it leaves the paper!!! (Rofl)

But oh my goodness I was laughing so hard.

-Matt messes up.

-Andrew calls him out on it.

-Matt pretty much says something Identical to something I said rationalizing a similar thing.

Andrew and Stephen- Still sorry I do that. I try not to. But it makes me feel better I’m not alone now. 😂😂 At least we don’t multiply like gremlins? 👍 Right? 😁 (assuming you watched Gremlins.)

But yeah this lesson is helpful. Thank you.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@lisadmh – Soundslice doesn’t have functionality for ritardando or fermatas in synthetic mode. I hope they add it soon, as I program all of that info in when I notate in GP.

@becky7777
    – Guess he talked about Star Wars haha

becky7777
    Participant

Andrew- Yeah. 😂 Don’t worry. It was mostly in reference to how much he messed up spots in the tab viewer.

Other than the story making me die, lots of take-aways in the live lesson section for me this month.

Hugest takeaway though was the star wars story. Matt made me realize ‘once it leaves the paper’ the way I feel music starts taking over, and once THAT happens I stop ‘practicing‘ the song and start ‘playing‘ it. Playing it is WAY more fun, but I sabotage my progress momentum because playing isn’t practicing.

I know it’s a weird takeaway, it is what it is, but thanks guys! It’s huge for me. For whatever reason, I was blind / in denial to seeing it like this. 👍 Funny enough my biggest takeaway really has nothing directly to do with a metronome right? LOL!

en_joy
    Participant

Do You have any suggestions or helpful tips on tapping with leg along with metronome? Or its just a practice matter?

Andrew
    Keymaster

@en_joy – practice. It can be a learning curve, like riding a bike, but when you get it, it’s there for life.

en_joy
    Participant

Thanks Andrew! I asked because for example in Wipe out we have part where we speed up with hand I had trouble not to speed up with leg. 😀

Andrew
    Keymaster

Ahh I see – start with easier rhythms before jumping into syncopation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.