left hand form

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    ed_sanderson
    Participant

Thanks Andrew, for that video on left hand form. I found it very helpful.
    One problem I’ve always had with what you call form 2, is with certain chord shapes when the 1st string is open, my index finger tends to mute the string. Any thoughts about that? Should I just work on form 1 for those chords?

Andrew
    Keymaster

Good question. The neck should rest where the X is shown in this picture.

This should help it stay out of the way of the first string, although this becomes challenging when fretting on string 4 and playing 1 open. Here’s a video to help show the position.

Hope this helps!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Andrew.
    ed_sanderson
    Participant

Thanks, Andrew. I’ll keep working on it.

kanae926
    Participant

I’m reviving this post from nearly two years ago. I am having the SAME problem. I have a hard time using Form 1 most of the time and as soon as I use Form 2, I end up muting the first string more often than not. 🙁

I surmise it’s because I have short stubby fingers and as soon as I relax my left index finger when it’s not playing a string, I mute the first string. FRUSTRATING. I constantly have to remind myself to keep my left index straight and my palm angled up more (which looks like what Andrew is doing?).

Andrew
    Keymaster

Kanni, can you post a video? Happy to take a look and see what’s happening.

kanae926
    Participant

Yup, I’ll try to set up my phone while doing Our First Song and post it to YouTube. It’s supposed to be the easiest but it also accentuated my bad form. Not to mention my ill timing. -_-

I got distracted looking back at July 2017’s Monthly Challenge where Our First Song was featured. I ended up scrolling through the entire thread observing and reading your feedback for those who participated. So fun!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by kanae926.
    miztaken
    Participant

And I will continue it…
    My problem is boobs – they just get in the way! And cause Short Arm Syndrome.
    I think I require a modified uke, cut away in the back to fit the anatomy.
    🙂

kanae926
    Participant

😂😂😂

I’d like to see how Andrew responds to that! LOL.

Miztaken, have you looked into thin body ukes? There’s less thickness in the body of the uke and may help with the “short arm syndrome” as you call it. My new uke I ordered from HMS (The Ukulele Site) is a thin body Kala. It’s kind of like a pancake, but still resonates pretty well from what I’ve read and heard online.

I think your Sydney neighbor, Lyndall, might have this travel Kala (in tenor or concert, I’m not sure).

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by kanae926.
    phoenixbleue

Hello,
    I have difficulties holding my uke and playing without a strap. If i position the instrument and my right hand the way described in the video, the neck falls. It is difficult to keep it in position to play along. Is it just a question of getting used to and practice or could my instrument lack balance? By the way, how do you know if you instrument is well balanced (weight body against neck body)?
    Thanks

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Pascale, check out our guidelines on proper holding technique in these lessons:

Overview from our Beginner’s Course

Proper Left Hand Form – Please watch the video at the bottom of page too.

Give those ideas a shot and let me know how it goes 🙂

phoenixbleue

Hello Andrew,
    My comment is after having seen you video on ‘ proper left hand form’.
    Do you have any additional advice?

Andrew
    Keymaster

Can you post a video playing and showing/holding the entire uke? I’ll be better able to help if I can see what’s happening.

phoenixbleue

Here is an example of me playing september theme without the strap. I have to press on the body with my right fingers to avoid that the instrument neck plunges. Although it still does.
    I am unable to move my left fingers with ease on the neck.

phoenixbleue

I will upload a new smaller file later.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I’d recommend to upload to YouTube. Our upload file size is really limited to only pictures.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.