loose strings

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear loose strings

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    anirbaf
    Participant

yes, I’m looking for some more loose-fit strings on my ohana ^^
    I wonder if it’s gonna help with the sliding and pull-offs/hammer-ons because on my other uke strings feel more loose, if that makes sense. so, any recommendatons? 😀

robinboyd
    Participant

I don’t have quantitative measurements, but Aquila Reds feel looser than other strings to me.

Another thing you could try is to tune your uke with Bb tuning (F Bb D G). I have done this for one of my ukes and it sounds great.

miztaken
    Participant

I take it that you mean “flexible” strings?!? I love the “Living Water” fluorocarbon strings. Great sound, easy slide, the low G has an awesome guttural boom (especially on my Moonbird).

I highly recommend them.

Steven
    Participant

I’m a big fan of Living Water strings. The tone they produce is excellent and I find they have the most consistent intonation on whatever uke I put them on too.

In terms of tension tough I have found that the same set of strings can feel as though they have different tension on different ukes. I don’t know why – assuming it’s just to do with the build of the instrument.

You could try a set of Anuenue clear water strings. These are designed to be lower tension so they may give you that feel you’re after. I tried a set and they were noticeably ‘floppier’ 🙂

sir_anzalot
    Participant

In terms of tension tough I have found that the same set of strings can feel as though they have different tension on different ukes. I don’t know why – assuming it’s just to do with the build of the instrument.

This. I have put the same set of Worth strings on my two concerts and the tension feels a lot different – isn’t this related to higher / lower action (I may be wrong here)?

anirbaf
    Participant

excellent! I’ll try the living water strings then! yeah floppy strings, flexible strings, as in the opposite of taut (:
    they’re not available in germany but I was able to order them on their website for pretty okay shipping costs. so yeah, we’ll see how that goes.

@sgwarren
    , so true! I just rather buy strings by recommendation than by trying them all in no particular order ^^ I’ll let you know (:

miztaken
    Participant

My aNueNue Moonbird came with the black clearwater strings – they were really lovely too, and very flexible, even more so than the Living Water strings. I would slide off the neck on the A string a lot more with them (undoubtably my technique).
    I found it difficult to get replacements to Australia, hence changing to Living Water ones.

I reckon you would be very happy with either of these.

Steven
    Participant

@miztaken What do you make of your Moonbird? I have considered treating myself to one as they seem amazing! There’s nowhere locally I can try one though and they are quite expensive (though still good value compared to the K brands I think) for an impulse intrnet purchase!! What size to you have?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.