New Reading Standard Notation

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons New Reading Standard Notation

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    mheiden
    Participant

@andrew- I have a question regarding reading notation.

When you (yourself) look at sheet music, can you just start playing with reading it? (is that our ultimate goal?) or do you look at it to understand the rhythm and learn it a piece at a time?

At this point, I’m moving slowly through the course to really absorb things (and click on several links you reference). I’m currently on the E string lesson.

I’m learning the notes and understanding how to read them (accidentals, the key etc..) but— when it’s time to play the music with just sheet music (not the tab combo), I’m not quickly looking at it knowing instantly it’s “b”…or “accidental…natural C” etc.. I am able to look at it and know the notes and find them on the fretboard…know the rhythm–then listen to the tab viewer to make sure I’m correct…then play with it. I hope this makes sense

rickeymike
    Participant

Hey Classmates and Professor,

I may be starting a blog after yesterday’s experience at The Guitar Center. When I got there, the “greeter” asked to see my uke, and he wrote down the serial # before giving it back to me. I was directed to the Acoustic Room where I was told to go play anything that I wanted that was on the wall. I started looking at the concerts and the first one that caught my eye, when I started to play, was missing the A string. So I brought it to the counter man but he didn’t bother to string it in the hour that I was there.

The second concert that I picked up which was around $250 (wow) had, I guess, a switch and plug in hole which I assumed was for an amplifier. Didn’t know if this type of Uke was able to be played without amplification so I tried that one. Of course I had to tune it with my snark. Didn’t like the sound on it. Then I went to one concert after another. All had to be tuned first. I took my time and played 3 memorized songs on each one. The concerts must have a little bit wider space between strings as my muscle memory kept plucking the wrong string. I think the frets are a bit wider apart also.

Just wasn’t impressed with the sounds. Maybe because I’m used to my soprano. Or maybe the strings on these floor models are cheapies. After being there for almost an hour (no one to offer any assistance), in frustration, I picked up a uke that I had been avoiding because it had a skeleton on the uke face. It was an Alvarez GDU26C Grateful Dead Concert. Amazingly, that one sounded fairly good but I’m not going around with picture of skeleton on my uke. ha.

So the dilemma begins. Did I really give these a fair shot without knowing the quality of strings or any professional guidance while I was there. This is a huge store, but busy and I think the “associates” are there to make sales.

Guess I need to start looking at smaller stores with experienced musicians. I don’t know.

lisadmh
    Participant

Hmmm. My store tries to keep them tuned and they trot over pretty quickly with a snark if they hear you playing one out of tune.

What were the brands of the ones you were trying? There are a few main makes my store generally keeps in, so you can Google reviews on the make as a whole. Kalas are super popular, come with aquilla strings, and are supposed to be decent for the price, although I’m not generally a fan.

Maybe a smaller store would be better, if you’ve got them. Or uke republic if you can figure out what you want and are good with ordering online – trying them is so good though.

Yeah, concerts have wider spaces and it messes up my muscle memory too. I’m a soprano sort, although I suppose one gets used to it after a while.

Sorry you didn’t have a better shopping experience.

deadbuggy
    Participant

Guitar Centers are notoriously awful places to buy quality acoustic instruments. They only care about guitars, they have people who don’t really know what they are talking about, etc etc.

Look for privately owned music stores within a couple hours driving distance. While it may seem like a long way to go just to try out various ukuleles, think of if as a super-fun day-trip! Or, if you’ll be traveling in the future, check out that city’s music store scene. Or…plan a vacation to an area where you know there’s a good store. I have one of the nation’s leading acoustic instrument stores in my area — Elderly Instruments. I can’t actually commend Lansing, MI as a vacation destination, but if you happen to be driving across the state to either Lake Michigan or Northern Michigan, it’s worth the stop!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@mheiden – The first thing you mentioned is sight reading – which is just as we would read a book. Pick it up and read, or for music, open it up and play immediately. This takes diligence to achieve.

I would suggest to study 1 bar at a time. Get the notes down, i.e. what note it is, where it is on the neck, & what rhythm it is. Practice that bar and then move onto the next. Then follow the steps in our practice guide to piece it together. Over time, you will be able to move faster, as it starts to become intuitive.

rickeymike
    Participant

Thanks for the added input, guys. My next step is to start searching for those smaller stores and call first to see if ukes are available to try. I live in New Orleans so there’s got to be some good shops here. Somewhere! I’ll keep you posted…… P.S. I wouldn’t mind the help if you want to do a web search for shops in and around NOLA. You might be able to ferret out the good ones better than me.

miztaken
    Participant

@rickeymike
    Aahhh Rickey! New Orleans is only two states away, 6 hour 41 minutes drive.
    That is a day trip to an Australian. And if you choose to do it after the 19th, I can say “Hi” because we are taking a trip to Atlanta for a week from Australia, so that I can visit Mike @ Uke Republic!!! And hopefully Andrew too.

And as an Australian, I would recommend an overnight trip to Atlanta to visit Mike at Uke Republic.
    That would be a fun trip: music on the radio, singing along at the top of your voice, take a friend if you can. The train is 11 hours 35 minutes, $64 one way (I think).

Here are some places you can look at, ring them first though:
    https://dmnola.com/ (Downtown music)
    http://www.bonvillainmusic.com/ukes.html
    http://www.toddsmusicexpress.com/ (doubtful for ukes)

You will get used to the slight change in fingering with a concert uke.
    I definitely find them a better size to use.

(And New Orleans is surprisingly pathetic in ukulele supply, but then, so is Sydney!).

rickeymike
    Participant

thanks, Miz. I’ll make some phone calls tomorrow. Atlanta is an 8hr drive for me. Wouldn’t be able to make it by the 19th but does sound like fun. Believe it or not, I’ve never been on a train.

miztaken
    Participant

We are there 19 to 26th January.
    I think we will be taking drives out of Atlanta to see other things too, there doesn’t appear to be much going on at this time of the year. Mostly big Martin Luther King Day celebrations.

Have a look at https://ukerepublic.bigcartel.com/category/concert too. It is a little slow to upload, lots of pictures slow it down.
    His ukes all come set up nicely.
    Buy the best you can afford, I think you are at the stage of devotion where you deserve a satisfying instrument.

I could not find any bad reviews about Ohana instruments, they really put care into their instruments.
    Mike does instrument test videos for a lot of them – I studied these repeatedly until I decided which uke looked and sounded best for me (taking into account that I was looking at videos etc).

All the best wishes with your search and buy (eventually). I look forward to seeing what instrument you do end up with.

curlyuke
    Participant

Mistaken – wow! Aren’t you nice, anytime you feel like sorting my life out, go ahead 😂
    Good things come to those who deserve it!

rickeymike
    Participant

Tried two more stores today. No luck with finding Anything to play. I hate to go back to Guitar Center without a musician with me. Ha, I know no musicians. Now I have another question. If I choose one that is pre-amped (if that’s the correct term), will it interfere with the quality of sound when I play it without the amp ie- Do you have to choose one or the other (amp vs. no amp)?

deadbuggy
    Participant

It’s actually called a pick-up and it absolutely does NOT interfere with the sound quality when played acoustically. Ukes with a built-in pick-up tend to run a tad more in price, but only about $50-100 more? If the only ukulele you eventually find that you like has a pick-up, go for it. But it’s likely not a make or break item for you at this stage!

rickeymike
    Participant

OK,deadbuggy. That’s good to know. Rickey: it’s a pick up. it’s a pick-up. ha.

becky7777
    Participant

Ricky – If you find a model you like, and it’s got a pickup in it, (and don’t want it) you can often look at the company website and find the same make but without the pickup. Some places might be willing to order one for you if you go that route.

http://www.oscarschmidt.com/products/ukes/spaltedmango.asp

That’s just an example. The tenor model on that page comes with or without, and like deadbuggy said it’s just a matter of money saving if you don’t plan on using it. I record with a cheap pickup that sticks on the body with a suction cup at the moment but am looking into getting something a little better since it doesn’t stick on the satin finish.

rickeymike
    Participant

Progress day 5 : Called C & M Music and they said they have a selection of ukes to play. Will be stopping by tomorrow or Friday. I also went to Uke Republic web site and started looking for a concert. here’s what I’ve found that interests me:

Ohana CK -260G

Kala KA-ASAC-C

Ohana CK-105BNJ—-this one is a banjo style. I don’t know why but this style piques my interest

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.