New Years Goals 2020

Home Page Forums Uke Talk New Years Goals 2020

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    lisadmh
    Participant

We did this last year and it was kinda fun. I didn’t achieve everything I set for myself but it got me thinking of whati want to focus on. So here we are again.

Do you have any goals or resolutions for your 2020 playing? Here are mine.

1. Play easier songs and play them better. I used to push myself for the highest ranked song and play them poorly. I thought if I could butcher a hatred song I was doing well. Now I’m trying to play easier ones but learn more finesse with them. Cleaner, better first. Harder later.

2. Don’t be a slave to the challenge. 😀 I Love Love 💘 the challenges, but sometimes the songs aren’t my favorite picks (they can’t always be everyone’s favorite), so I go through the motions and play them anyway. This year, if it’s not a song I want on my set list, I will set my own challenge with a song I love and still hold myself to one month and a recorded performance in the Showcase section.

3. Dynamics. Gotta work on this. Nuff said.

That’s my plan. I also just have to get back up and at it, as I’m just getting over the second of two back to back flu like bugs, ugh. My ukes have been neglected. But I have a plan and I’m motivated.

Happy new year, y’all!

becky7777
    Participant

I made progress on last year’s uke resolution, but didn’t fully accomplish my goal. (I lost over 50 lbs though, so there’s that.)

This year i’m shooting for something I should have made progress on in 2019, but didn’t. Intervals.

I’d like to be able to identify them by ear and name them. Found some fun exercises, but need community help to execute them. Figure I can give it a shot. Might be fun for everyone.

becky7777
    Participant

@lisa – I completely forget all the songs I learn after I stop playing them within days.. I may add a “refresh some songs i’ve learned” to the uke resolution. I can probably play most of them better now if I refresh… (Ideally lol) Forgot to add, good idea. I really should record my other personal challenge songs to have the record of it. I slacked on this last year.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by becky7777.
    rickeymike
    Participant

Lisa & Becky – I’m with you guys.

If I don’t enjoy the songs available in a monthly challenge, I won’t do it but that’s fairly rare (except for this month LOL)

I’m getting into songs that I do like and arranging them myself. I love playing melodies.

I too forget how to play a song soon after I stop learning it….so,so frustrating. Really the most frustration thing other than driving a golf ball consistently well.

Nothing wrong with an easy to play song. I’m finding that many of the songs that I like have easy to play melodies.

In general this year I’m going to Play,Play,Play. Notice that I didn’t say the dreaded word “practice”.

rickeymike
    Participant

If I had a banjole, I would learn “Waiting For The Robert E. Lee” then….retire. Haha.

ukandoit

For 2020 i have 2 ukulele wish,

first i want Andrew and team to be known as they deserve to be. Sometimes when i watch video of Evan playing, for RC101 or not, with only 5K views and then i see stupid content on youtube with 150M views, i’m sad for our planet! Haa, if the parents that put kids behind a screen at 3 or 4yo would show them Evan’s performances, their will be more Jake in this world lol. And to be a bit selfish, if RC101 is more known, we’ll have for sur more tutorials and more new team member that mean new ukulele killers to discover 🙂

And for myself, i would like to get to the next level on the uke. I don’t know how.. i guess by spending time struggling on some lvl 4 tutorials that i’m not able to play in time like danse macabre. I remember when i first met RC101, it was for a lvl 4 and i only had 6month of ukulele, never could play it (spanish ukulele – gary moore), but after giving up i really had level up my skills! And now i can play it nicely, so playing unplayable songs is the way to progress ^^going outside of our confort zones!

Wish you all the best for 2020!

jinajupiter
    Participant

Happy New Year!
    I am curious about this clawhammer lessons. Will try on my banjolele
    Further I will spend some time with my Les Paul ukulele.
    Learn how to play with a pick, try the R&R songs this school has to offer.
    And Rock classics. Fiddle around with effects.
    Maybe learn how to play jazz voicings without the root on it.
    Maybe later in the year spend some time on different types of
    Flamenco strumming and Venezolano cuatro strumming like Joropo.
    That’s it. :). Wish you all a creative year!

samash07
    Participant

Happy New Year fellow classmates.

My resolution is simply to get better at playing the Ukulele. I’ve been working on my playing for 3 months consistently now and have seen good progress.

Though I still lack severely in the chord switches/transitions or whatever the correct term is, haha.

@ukandoit
    I agree with you 100%, RC101 needs some love out there. They deserve millions of views!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by samash07.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by samash07.
    robins57

My goals this year:
    1. Learn 1 song from here passably well each month, whether one of the challenge pieces or something else.
    2. Work through the etudes. Probably won’t get through them all but I think it would be fun and a systematic way to improve.
    3. Learn one song by ear each month, trying to make my own simple arrangement. Others have talked about how quickly they forget songs and I’m that way too, but I find that if I learn something by ear it tends to stick. That way when someone comes along with the “give us a tune” request I hope to be able to produce something, however simple.
    4. Watch and try one of the weekly lessons a month. Maybe I should be watching all of them but I don’t think that’s realistic in my world.

Through this all I hope to be more comfortable in C tuning but meanwhile I do all my group stuff and lessons in D tuning so it’s a challenge.

robins57

ACK! And find a new photo. That one is from a different life!

robinboyd
    Participant

OK, here goes…

Last year’s goal:
    To enjoy my playing without stressing too much – ACHIEVED

I think I’ll be a bit more ambitious this year.

This year’s goals:
    1. Finish memorising and record Moonlight Sonata
    2. Learn a piece of music that features both Tiffany and me playing ukes at the same time and singing in HARMONY.

That ought to be a bit more of a challenge!

lisadmh
    Participant

This is a great list of goals, folks. Lots of learning ahead.

I see lots of people have trouble maintaining songs after they learn them. Hey Matt, a good live lesson topic??

I like the goal about increasing views on RC101 posts. I wish the world appreciated this stuff more thanall the e-junk out there.

Let’s check in on our goals from time to time so we don’t forget.

Happy plucking in 2020!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.