Ode to joy – Low G??

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Ode to joy – Low G??

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    macdog

I’m a novice and new to the site and was working one OTJ, before realizing it wasn’t meant for the low G setup I’ve got. Any suggestions? Guess I could hold the corresponding fret up an octave on the G string. Open to suggestions and like the arrangement.

Thanks Greg

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Greg, you are correct. You could move the low G notes up an octave to the 2nd string. For example, bar 1:

null

Hope that helps!

P.S. All of our low G lessons can be found here.

becky7777
    Participant

It’s really valuable in my opinion to learn where at least the high G notes are on your fretboard and how to use them if you really prefer to play on Low G and don’t have two ukes strung high and low.

Been bumbling down that road myself. If I try tackling a high g arrangement, It’s extra work, and frustrating at times, but it’s been worth trying in my opinion.

Some arrangements translate easier than others btw, and i’ve noticed different degrees of playability challenges.

I started on simpler songs, but Andrew’s Stranger Things Theme arrangement plays with a LOT more crazy finger movement to get those high g notes on a Low G uke, then if it’s played on high g which it was written for. (Especially for the speed it’s supposed to be played at! I felt like I was trying to shred lol.) That particular arrangement used two different positions of the high g note on the fretboard though.

Anyway, good luck! Sorry about babbling 🙂

macdog

oh that’s cool. (The arrangement you showed, Andrew). I haven’t found my way around the notes yet. I guess I should. The only string instrument I’ve ever messed with is a piano so this is all new.

And I agree Becky, thanks. I should dig in and figure it out if I’m to make any sort of real progress. Hoping to get out of “faking it” mode as soon as possible anyway. 🙂

Thanks Greg

stuartda
    Participant

I’m a little confused. I’m completely new to music so I apologize if this sounds stupid. Looking at the photo posted in the top post it looks like they moved from the third string to the second string but the low G is the 4th string so I am confused by that photo. It sounds like if I use my third finger and hold down the third fret on the second string I get the proper sound. I’m sure I’m missing something looking at that photo, can anyone provide clarification? Thanks guys!

– Daniel

lisadmh
    Participant

Hi Stuart. The third fret on the E string is equal to the open G string. So if you’re trying to play a high G song on a low G uke, you can build your G string melody notes on the E string, always up by three frets. Example: an open G becomes the 3rd fret of the E string, and a 2nd fret melody note on the G string could be substituted by the 5th fret on the E string. Does that make sense?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.