April 30, 2018 at 1:37 pm #16811
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with site member challenge #15! WOW, there has now been over 400+ members participating in our challenges! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players 🙂 And I offer feedback on ALL submissions!
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick one from the following 2 Rock Class 101 Children’s Songs Themed Genre Lessons:
1) Lullaby Medley – Learn 3 classic children’s lullabies in this beginner friendly ukulele lesson: “Mary Had a Little Lamb”, “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star”, and “Brahm’s Lullaby”.
2) “Down by the Bay” by Raffi – A joyful and cute sounding children’s song played with an upbeat and swung rhythm.
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner to Intermediate Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: Lullaby Medley
2. Intermediate Level to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: Down by the Bay
3. Participation Goal: 25 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 4 Blues pieces anytime between Tuesday, May 1st till Thursday, May 31st, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
There will be 1 winner, selected by random drawing on June 3rd, 2018. To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
1) $175 Sofawares Package! Includes:
THANKS TO OUR SPONSOR!
Will, who runs the Etsy shop “Sofawares”: https://www.etsy.com/shop/Sofawares
Let’s crush this challenge!May 1, 2018 at 11:44 pm #16835
Finally, no need for chairs anymore, but I think I might need a bed for the lullaby song, Awesome Challenge and Excited to do! Thanks Andrew for your awesome work and you deserve sponsors as well. 😀May 4, 2018 at 12:26 am #16890
Andrew, I was wondering how often i should change the strings on my ukulele? i play it almost every day and the ones i have on it now i have had on there for about 4 or 5 months. Thanks 🙂May 6, 2018 at 1:44 am #16905
Here is my May participation challenge. I think it’s too early for me to do the songs, but I rather do one at the start and end of the month to see improvement. I know the tempo is one of my mistakes and I appreciate any advice you give me guys. It’s so weird using a pick compared to fingerpicking as you can sorta feel the strings and have more control but hey, that’s just me.May 7, 2018 at 7:19 pm #16911lisadmhParticipant
Good job awesomestrings! You power through the songs.
Week one check in. How are the rest of you doing?
I’m at about 60% on Brahms lullaby. Pushing for 70, but a couple of chord changes are holding me back – into Am7 mostly, and the high Em this time. That song really works the bar chords too. There are a couple chords in there that I have good muscle memory on already from previous songs, so I’m making some progress somewhere!
May 7, 2018 at 9:09 pm #16914marni11Participant
- This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by lisadmh.
I have “Down By the Bay” at 50%. I just started the song today. On “Children’s Lullaby’s” I have down, “Mary Had a Little Lamb” “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star” to 100%, on “Brahms Lullaby” I have it down to 70%.May 8, 2018 at 1:55 am #16915
Thanks for the compliment Lisa, and I’m doing good. I hope to see all your future performances guys because I know it will be amazing! I believe in you and so should you! 😀May 8, 2018 at 10:51 pm #16922wongbrownParticipant
You are awesome Awesomestrings. You have played them all so well. I am a beginners and after watching your video and Andrew’s great support ( as usual), I will go for the challenge! / SheilaMay 10, 2018 at 11:23 pm #16942
Awesome Strings, great job! I shared your performance in our email newsletter this past Friday! It’s really cool to see you do all the songs again 🙂 I thought you did very well on the first song, but watch out for the timing in bars 12 through 14, as you rushed the rhythms a little bit in that section. Try and count the rhythm out along while you play, it will help a lot especially in that section.
Wonderful job on the lullaby medley. Everything sounds great. On the last tune, watch your timing when you get to the B section, as you sped up a little bit (not a big deal). Also, keep practicing the triplet at the end of the tune. Very great job overall, keep up the great work!May 11, 2018 at 8:38 pm #16969
Here is mine 🙂 I did it finger style. This is a super fun song to play! Thanks for the challenge 🙂
May 12, 2018 at 4:11 am #16970kayleighbMember
I’m going to work on the lullaby medley alongside the lesson on vibrato to try and incorporate this into my playing.
Quick question Drew, what sort of pick would you recommend for uke? I will get round to down by the bay at some point. I’ve read all sorts online from normal guitar picks to felt picks?May 12, 2018 at 2:22 pm #16971May 12, 2018 at 2:25 pm #16972
ukulelelady, Amazing playing again! It’s really awesome to hear how well you are doing with your playing! Keep up the great work 🙂May 12, 2018 at 7:15 pm #16973
Andrew, Thank you very much 🙂May 13, 2018 at 4:01 pm #16980andracassParticipant
My first attempt. I hope having time to upload another.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.