Participate in the November 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN Kanile'a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the November 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN Kanile'a!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 309 total)
  • Author
    cauer2

Pretty sure I used the wrong homonym for Sun.

andracass
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

My first attempt

I found very difficult to hold the ukulele while moving my left ha d on the fretboard. For this reason I used the soprano, which is easier to hold, even if I prefer the concert sound.
    I will continue to try this song.

rickeymike
    Participant

Andra, I’m still on the fingerpicking section. But I can envision what you’re talking about. I hold the uke body with my right pinkie (sometimes ring & pinkie). I think this may be a crutch. It does tend to interfere when I start strumming….the uke body starts sinking.

lisadmh
    Participant

I was just fretting over that pinky. I pinky anchor but I think it makes me stiff and rigid. I often get told to loosen up and I’m wondering if the pinky is partly to blame…. Hmmm….

cauer2

I feel like the picking section is coming along but, I too, have a bit of trouble keeping the uke in a comfortable place during the strumming section. I always feel like I have to pull back on the neck when changing chords and strumming at the same time. I can’t really get smooth chord changes and keep up the rhythm at the same time yet. I’m glad these pieces are a challenge though; keeps it interesting.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@andracass – Way to go, MT! Fantastic performance! I agree, it is a toughie for jumping up and down the neck on. And I think what’s hard about it, is that you are bouncing between form 1 and 2; and it would be so much easier if it was only the latter. But I don’t see any noticeable dipping of the neck or body, so I think you are doing well on this front.

Honestly, the only advice I can offer you for this performance, is to work on keeping the timing steadier. Which the best ways to do this, is to break it into pieces and focus on one section at a time. Keep up the great work!

deadbuggy
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER who can’t help Falling in Love with This Arrangement.

Apologies for the memory fade in verse three, but I was so in the flow I just kept going.

turkgoose
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

You guys at ROCKCLASS101.com are the best Teachers! I can’t believe I can play freaking House of the rising sun!

I have definitely improved some since my sound of silence submission last month. Still have trouble with a few chord changes, but I think this is as good as I can do right now.

Andrew
    Keymaster

deadbuggy – Very cool! I like the subtle melody lines you threw in. My advice is to continue to work on fine-tuning the finesse of phrases and transitions. Let me point out an example. Listen to the walk-up melody line from 48 seconds to 50. Contrast that to the same line at 2:23.

The latter has a soft, delicate timbre; while the former is the opposite. So I’d be listening back to your performance and noting spots that stand out like this. Thats what I’d be targeting in your practice.

turkgoose – Well done and thank you for the kind words! I think you’re doing just fine on the chord changes. What I’d work on is keeping both sections at the same tempo. If you listen back, you can hear the fingerpicking section is much quicker than the strumming. So I’d slow down the former to match the speed of the latter. Work on uniformly increasing the tempo for both. Keep up the great work!

deadbuggy
    Participant

Andrew — great point! I listened back and totally hear the difference. Many thanks!

turkgoose
    Participant

@Andrew

Thank you so much for the feedback! I will be more mindful of my timing!

I also want to say that the arrangements of all the songs here are beautiful and masterful, but yet you also do a great teaching them! What you have here is very special and I’m so glad I found it! A month ago, I literally could only play C F G7 chord songs. When I watch the videos, at the beginning I think “There is no way I can play this”. But by the end, “Ok, I think I can do this!” You break everything down so well into manageable pieces. Thank you for all that you do and this wonderful community you have built up.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@turkgoose – wow! TY so much. Really appreciate it. Means a lot to me 🙂

anirbaf
    Participant

I couldn’t make it last month due to a bad tendinitis in my wrist. so I’ll probably take it slow and won’t even try one of the more difficult pieces (: good luck to everyone!

anirbaf
    Participant

another thing: is it ok to play house of the rising sun with a low g for the challenge?

johanna2509
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Here is my attempt on House of the Rising Sun. Matt did such great job by making this wonderful arrangement! I love the strumming section, the concept of the ghost notes were new for me. I also learned to do the standard D chord with one finger haha. I wasn’t able to do that before practicing this piece. I know I need to work on those pauses when jumping to the 12th fret and back.
    Additionally, I think my fingerpicking isn’t the right/intended way, but it works so fine for me! Although my fingers are stretched out, I am fast enough.
    However, I have one question: In Matts playing, the melody note on the a string, even on the higher frets, really pops out, how does he do that? 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 309 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.