Participate in the November 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN Kanile'a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the November 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN Kanile'a!

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 309 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Here is everyone on page 18.

Five of you submitted past the deadline. I tried to give everyone a friendly reminder about the deadline. Unfortunately, deadlines are strict this year. I’m sorry guys.

—-

nitsur – Great job! There’s a couple areas that I’d target your practice towards:

1) Listen back and notate when there were pauses going from one chord or phrase to the next. You want to loop those sections & practice the transitions.

2) Watch your tempo in the strumming section, as it increased here and there. Try to play along with a metronome or the on-screen tab viewer to help you keep the beat steady.

santai – Bravo! It’s fun to see your progress this year! Form in both hands looks great. Great understanding of the rhythms too, and your feel is spot-on. The only thing I can suggest is to focus on improving the clarity of the fingerpicked section and work on cleaning up the last part of the strumming section. Keep up the good work!

kanae926 – Absolutely beautiful! What I think you excelled the most at is making it sound extremely natural and relaxed. Like, this could be on an easy listening CD. I don’t know what gripes you have about it, but I’d be proud of that. Keep up the great work!

lildevil – You guys are too hard on yourself, that was awesome! You had a great feel overall and and showed a thorough understanding of the rhythms, as well as, keeping it steady tempo-wise. I’d give you an A, keep up the great work!

laurasil – That was awesome! The hardest part about this and Bohemian are the constantly changing rhythms, and it’s clear to me that you have a great understanding of this. Even the solo, which is super hard to keep with a steady momentum without a backbeat, had clearly defined rhythms.

What I would do if I was you, is to take just one section, like a verse or a chorus, and I want you to try to increase the tempo a little bit. But only work on one section at a time. When you can play that section steadily, try it with the next, then connect the 2. Use this approach as you work throughout the tune.

aquatopaz – Great job! So the strumming section sounds like you’re struggling a little bit with getting the rhythms correct. Check out this video that I made for another member earlier this month. It talks about simplifying the strumming attack, as well as, counting rhythms as you play. Try those two concepts out and I think they will help you get it down.

cherrytang – Well done! Glad to see new folks join us and I hope you join us again for December. I thought your performance was great overall; the advice I would offer you is similar to the video I made in this post for another member. Which talks about pushing ourselves to play a little bit faster to help increase speed.

Andrew
    Keymaster

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATED THIS MONTH! WE HAD 80 ENTRIES! YOU GUYS ROCK!

Hope to see everyone in our December Challenge. December is your LAST CHANCE to win the Kanile’a!

Here is a list of everyone who participated. Please let me know if there are any discrepancies.

—-

andracass
    andracass
    turkgoose
    turkgoose
    rickjava
    nosferatu
    nosferatu
    lisadmh
    lisadmh
    deadbuggy
    deadbuggy
    johanna2509
    johanna2509
    andrewvh
    andrewvh
    lyndallk
    lyndallk
    planetfink

planetfink

cauer2

cauer2

nthibode

nthibode

brenna
    brenna
    holly1

holly1

stinyuke

stinyuke

willymac
    willymac
    suesbarn

suesbarn

k_ra11
    k_ra11

annefgodfrey

annefgodfrey

oldan_
    oldan_

jkulele

jkulele

laurakarr12

laurakarr12

russellbarnett

russellbarnett

karenj

karenj

ccwuke

robinboyd

robinboyd

timolnz

timolnz

brettboy

brettboy

brettboy

lisotta

lisotta

rickeymike

rickeymike

cyukug

cyukug

mdugal

mdugal

joe150

joe150

fiona99

fiona99

ripley

ripley

joannetala

joannetala

kellyblackburn

kellyblackburn

alterin

alterin

nerdjenni

nerdjenni

ramiro

mac1984

lisamcc

lisamcc

mac1984

cyberloh

cyberloh

smudge

smudge

kirpuff

kirpuff

kirpuff

gardn_gnome

gardn_gnome

golf39

golf39

golf39

jayton

jayton

surfnrz

surfnrz

surfnrz

kelsey91

wongbrown

wongbrown

dubrova

dubrova

tiff27

jazzitup

ramon91

jinajupiter

jinajupiter

yukalele

yukalele

coffeemug

coffeemug

gstriph

gstriph

mfaske

mfaske

jonathan_gabel

jonathan_gabel

apblondie

apblondie

givingtree89

givingtree89

ukukelley1

ukukelley1

mweir1

mweir1

ealtman

ealtman

bklynsoul

bklynsoul

chi-_-t

chi-_-t

nitsur
    nitsur
    santai

santai

kanae926

kanae926

lildevil

lildevil

laurasil

laurasil

aquatopaz

aquatopaz

cherrytang
    barbecueblack
    barbecueblack

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Andrew. Reason: barbecueblack added
    bklynsoul
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the feedback and noted. I applied the 4 bar method to learning October’s challenge and I believe it was 6 bars at at time for November. I found this month’s song easier to remember. I am also trying to use a metronome or tab viewer for tempo training. But what really messes me up is hitting record. Seriously, I’ll play a song well or ok before recording but once I hit that button, it all falls apart. I believe others have experienced this phenomenon as well. I guess recording requires practice too. Cheers!

lildevil
    Participant

Andrew, thanks for the positive words and “too hard on yourself” comment. But I must confess I was kinda too easy on myself. I wanted Bohemian Rhapsody as of 11/1, but by 11/3, life totally got in the way. Couldn’t get to playing again until the 26th, at which point I switched to Sweet Child of Mine (for a long time, my ring tone for my son!) thinking I could handle it. By the afternoon of the 30th, I was totally stressed trying to get it memorized, cleaner, faster. Rather than seeing it through, I bailed and switched to House of the Rising Sun. Not that it wasn’t without it’s challenges, but as always, my biggest challenges this month were managing expectations and accepting limitations. Thanks for going easier on us for December!

rickeymike
    Participant

Andrew, what does L SEP mean after the name?

mfaske
    Participant

Andrew – Thank you so much for the compliment and encouragement. Great advice, I’ve been practicing by memory without the sheet music or the on-screen tab viewer and am trying to introduce a little rubato! It’s added a whole new level of enjoyment to playing this song. I just get so focused on trying to play through it without losing my place and maintaining a consistent tempo. I need to learn to play using a metronome. Thanks again. Matt

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thanks guys!

@rickeymike
    – I don’t see “L SEP”. What/where is it?

Thank you Andrew for the visual feedback, I appreciate how you catch bad habits before they get engrained, and seeing you slide on your pinky from the D to the three-fingered F instantly helped me with that rough spot.

coffeemug
    Participant

Thanks, Andrew! I remember seeing your comments to Lyndall’s initial video and thinking I really need to make an effort to use a slow tempo when I do my recording. Intentions, however, didn’t get me very far. I will keep working at it. And that walk-up…I could feel myself getting sloppy when I practiced that as well. I should’ve listened to my instincts and spent more time with that part. Thanks, again!

rickeymike
    Participant

See attached. I had to take a picture of the screen. When I pasted it didn’t show. Must be some computer language?

lisamcc
    Participant

Thanks for the positive feedback Stephen! I tend to race a bit (particularly when I’m recording… it’s like I go into fast forward!) I’ll try and bring it down a notch.
    Thanks for your encouraging words @Rickeymike and @Robinboyd.. really appreciated.
    Good luck with the next challenge… getting in the Christmas spirit already!

Andrew
    Keymaster

No idea, Rickey. But it looks like you are using IE. That browser has been discontinued and I’d highly encourage you to use its replacement, Edge. Or any other current browser: chrome, firefox, etc.

kanae926
    Participant

For what it’s worth, I saw what Ricky mentioned in my PC on Chrome but I don’t see it on my phone (also Chrome).

mfaske
    Participant

What you’re seeing is called a Line Separator [Unicode Character U+2028]. How it displays depends entirely on the font being used: If the font is compliant, the character displays as a space. Otherwise it displays as that [or possibly some other] symbol. It’s one of many invisible encoding characters included when content is copied from other sources… especially web sites. This character only shows up on Window machines where empty spaces may be present at the end of a line. That’s why it doesn’t show up on your phone. Commonly this happens when you copy and paste from a .pdf document that was opened using Mac Computer with Preview.

There are all sorts of solutions, some simple, some complicated. Some involve adding scripts to your CSS.

IMO, probably best to just ignore it.

rickeymike
    Participant

Drew, I am using Edge. At least that’s what it says that I am using. I always use Chrome when I access the tablature play along. I just opened the site in Chrome and those symbols still show up.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 309 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.