Participate in the November 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN Kanile'a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the November 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN Kanile'a!

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 309 total)
  • Author
    jinajupiter
    Participant

Hey Laurasyl and Mweir1
    So nice to hear your performances as well! I found this piece very hard!
    And you really did all the taps as well! I found that too hard so I skipped a few.
    The intro is easier but less spectaculair with a low G btw

jinajupiter
    Participant

Thanks Rickey so much fun this Les Paul ukulele I sent you a YouTube tutorial explaining how to do this splitscreen or multiple screen (picture in picture) in IMovie.
    I recorded the accompaniment film on my Ipad, transfered it to my phone, used ear buds and played along with my own recording. Later in the program you can layer the two recordings and synchronise them. The sound mixes automatically. You can ajust the volume, I put the accompaniment lower. B.t.w. I played powerchords. (No 3rd)
    I am sure there are YouTube tutorials for Windows as well.
    I also never heard of this song to be honest but I liked it the best of all four.

jinajupiter
    Participant

Surfnrz, I loved your Bohemian Rapsody! Great timing :). Maybe you can perform the Christmas carol on Les Paul with strong overdrive 🙂 we are in a RockClass in the end. I just received the el. uke a week ago and don’t understand yet all knobs, maybe if you have time you or/and Andrew can explain them? I will start a new topic to not pollute this one to much with questions on the Les Paul.

surfnrz

@jinajupiter, sure I’d love to help you with that. You have 2 pickups, one bridge and one neck. The two knobs closest to the floor are for the bridge pickup, one volume and one tone control. The tone knob is closest to the back of the Uke. I usually just keep this all the way up, (more treble). The top two knobs do the exact same thing but they are for the bridge pickup. There is a toggle switch which in the down position activates the bridge pickup (higher biting tone), up position activates the neck pickup(warmer deeper tone) you can also put the switch in the middle to get a blend of both pickups. I hope this helps, if you have any other questions feel free to ask. I love this kind of stuff.

kirpuff
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback, Andrew! I wish I had had more time to practice in Nov, but White Christmas wont be nearly as hard to learn so that should leave me time to clean up all the issues in BR (and maybe Danse Macabre while I’m at it) 🙂

This was a fun challenge, I really enjoyed everyone’s submissions! looking forward to learning some Christmas songs this month, thanks again!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Stephen is working on feedback for page 16. We’ll get that posted soon.

surfnrz – Here is my feedback for you 🙂

maryjanew
    Participant

I didn’t realize you were going by Eastern standard time when I was finishing my video. But with the holidays I really didn’t have time to get it done sooner. I am in California

Stephen

Here’s everyone on page 16:

kelsey91 – It’s great that you are playing the song at a comfortable tempo. This is a great way to improve! You have most of the song down, and there are only a few sections I would isolate and practice before speeding up the tempo. Measure 8 has a chord transition that seems to be giving you a little trouble, so I would recommend looping that measure until the shift from E to the E7 is almost second nature. Then there’s one note at the end of measure 11 that seems like you just played the wrong string. Maybe plucking that note with the thumb will make it easier to hit accurately. I would go through those spots at a slightly slower tempo, and then put it all together. You’re doing a wonderful job! Thank you for your entry!

wongbrown – The notes are sounding good, and I’m sure a little practice is all it will take for the D to F transition. One thing I noticed is that you are making up your own rhythm throughout the piece. While it sounds kind of cool, I highly recommend playing along with the on screen tab player at 50% speed to try to match Matt’s rhythm. Once you get that down, the rest will fall in place! Thank you for joining the challenge!

dubrova – You are off to a great start! The notes sound great, and the strumming is on it’s way! One thing I notice is that the rhythm of the fingerpicked section is slightly different: the fifth note in each pattern is just slightly after where you are currently playing. If we just thought of the rhythm as long and short notes, the pattern would be: “long short short long long long long.” Right now, you are playing “long short short short long long long.” If this is confusing, try using the on screen tab player to slow Matt’s performance to 50% and play along. With the strumming, try playing that section at a slower tempo and relax the strumming hand. Playing along with the whole song at 50% will help both of these things. Keep up the good work! Thank you for entering the challenge!

tiff27 – The fingerpicking section sounds great! That tempo is a wonderful place to continue to practice at until you get the chord transitions and shapes a bit smoother. It seems like while you have the piece memorized, there’s a bit of hesitation on the last half of the strumming section. I would just play through that until you can mentally stay a step ahead to avoid hesitating. You are doing a wonderful job, keep it up! Thank you for your entry!

jazzitup – Great job keep a solid tempo and playing the notes very consistently! I like the sound of this one on a low G ukulele as well. Now that you have the notes and rhythms down, try adding some dynamics to your playing: start soft at the beginnings of phrases and crescendo into the middle, then gradually get softer again at the end. This will allow the song to “breathe” and add some extra emotion to your performance! Thank you for joining the challenge!

ramon91 – Great job on picking a tempo you can play smoothly at, your timing and notes sound great! The only spot where the timing is noticeably different than how you played this is at the end of measure 11: There is more space between the open E string and the first fret on the G string. If you were counting “1, 2, 3” (or tri-ple-et), the open E string would be on “1,” or “tri,” while the note on the G string would be on “3” or “et.” I hope this makes sense! After getting this down, it’s time to gradually speed up your tempo. Great work! Thank you for joining the challenge!

jinajupiter – That Les Paul ukulele is so cool! First, super job on the solo! Your timing is great, and sense of rhythm is superb! On the intro, try to sustain the notes as long as you can before moving to the next note. The 10th fret on the A string is where it’s most noticeable if cut too short. This is a small detail, but it will make the whole pattern flow much more smoothly! You are doing a wonderful job, and steel strings have a whole level of differences…one being how much more necessary muting strings becomes! You are doing a wonderful job, and your awesome take on this made me smile! Keep on rockin’! Thank you for your entry!

yukalele – Nicely done! That was very fast! There are a few transitions that I would recommend playing at a slower tempo in the strumming portion: when you go higher up on the neck in measures 7 and 9, you are slightly overshooting the 12th fret. Playing the whole piece at a slower speed will give you time to practice the accuracy needed to play those notes and get every note in the chord to sound. It’s tough work, but with a little practice, those notes will ring clear! Thank you for entering the challenge!

golf39

Thank you feedback Andrew, much appreciated and I agree! I feel this song has like a dozen different parts to it and making them all come together and play as one is definitely a challenge for me.

rickeymike & brettboy, thanks for the encouraging words!

Jinajupiter: that is one cool uke, loved the solo, you rocked it.

surfnrz, really enjoyed you playing of BR, a little more work on the end and your will own this song. Very inspirational.

surfnrz

Andrew, thank you so much for the excellent feedback and very kind words. You are an excellent teacher. I watched each of your video lessons at least 3 times while working on the piece. You have a great ability to break down something this difficult in small chunks which lead to the success of your students. Joining this group was one of the best things I’ve ever done. I truly mean that. Everyone here is so nice and so incredibly talented. what a great community! @golf39 thanks so much for the kind words, I enjoyed your version very much. This song was a killer!

wongbrown

Thanks for the feedback, Stephen. It’s very helpful. I also noticed the rhythm didn’t sound quite right. I’ll try again with the on screen tab as advised.

Sheila

jinajupiter
    Participant

Thanks Stephen! Whole new challenge in mastering the metal strings! Thinking about playing your Spaghetti song with it 🙂
    Surfnrz, so the two knobs closed to the floor are bridge or neck? I didn’t quite understand.

surfnrz

@jinajupiter. One is a volume knob one is a tone knob. The two knobs closest to the floor are for the bridge pickup, the pickup that’s farthest from The fingerboard.

jinajupiter
    Participant

Great got it, thanks surfnrz 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here are is everyone on page 17.

coffeemug – Great job! There are two things in your performance I’d like to point out:

1) Walk up in bar 6. A lot of folks had trouble with this part. Check out this video that I made for another member earlier this month. It explains what’s happening here.

2) Tempo – if you check out my feedback for Lyndall on page 5, I mentioned to her that a slower tempo helps the melody and the emotion of love shine through. You can watch her 1st and 2nd performance on that page to hear the difference between fast and slow tempos for this song.

gstriph – Well done, Jerry! The only thing I can suggest is to memorize it so you can focus on how you are playing it.

mfaske – Beautiful playing, Matt! You have a great feel and tone. I’d recommend only playing (memorizing) instead of reading and playing, because it sounds and looks like you really don’t need to be following along; i.e. it’s already memorized.

So I’d get rid of the sheet music and that will allow you to focus more on incorporating concepts like rubato, which works really well with this tune.

jonathan_gabel – Here is my feedback for you 🙂

apblondie – Great job, Ashlee! But I would recommend slowing the tempo down, because it sounds like you are pushing a little beyond your comfort zone. When you slow it down, you’ll be able to focus on your attack, which I think should be a little bit softer. Specifically, to strum softer, which will produce a sweeter tone. Give that a shot and gradually work to speed it up.

givingtree89 – Hope you are feeling better! I thought your performance was excellent. I noticed you used just your thumb for a lot of it, which at times, specifically for the bridge, seems like you are working harder than you need to. I’d recommend a three or four finger approach for that section, and really for the majority of this tune. I know you switched into that approach a few times, but I think it would be easier just to use it throughout the entire tune.

ukukelley1 – I think you had a very nice, relaxed feel to your playing Sheryl. In regards to your question, I think it comes down to having it completely memorized, because it’s really difficult to focus on how we are playing it, if we are reading it. It’s harder to escape into the emotion of music, if we are consciously focused on reading and looking at where we are on the fretboard.

So try this: Memorize one section completely and practice it until you feel like the feeling is flowing through it. Then record yourself and compare it to this video. I think you’ll hear the difference.

mweir1 – Bravo! Here is my feedback for you and here is the article I mentioned.

ealtman – Great job! I think you have a great base established, but I’d work towards memorizing it and breaking it down into four bar sections. That way you can focus on the big points: Timing, rhythm, chord transitions. Nail 4 bars at a time, then the next 4, then put 1-8 together. In essence, you are building the song piece by piece; which is what we suggest in our practice guide.

bklynsoul – Excellent job! I’d actually recommend the same advice I left for, ealtman. Slow the tempo down a little bit and focus on mastering four bars at a time and build it from there. With where you’re at right now, it won’t take too long to get it to flow with a steady tempo. Keep up the great work!

chi-_-t – Here is my feedback for you and check out this article for more on left hand form 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 309 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.