October 31, 2019 at 2:01 pm #33204
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #32! We are teaming up with Kanile’a Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away $1,500 towards Designing Your Own Custom Kanile’a Ukulele!
I am beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 1,300+ members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players 🙂 And I offer feedback on ALL submissions!
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 4 Rock Class 101 Lessons (Theme: Classic Rock):
1) “The House of the Rising Sun” by The Animals * – This arrangement combines fingerpicking and strumming to authentically recreate the iconic melody. * Taught in its entirety for FREE!
2) “Can’t Help Falling in Love” by Elvis Presley * – Learn one of the most beautiful love songs of all time. This piece is perfect for those transitioning from the beginner to intermediate level. * Taught in its entirety for FREE! (REQUIRES LOW G UKULELE)
3) “Sweet Child O’ Mine” by Guns ‘N Roses – An electrifying, fingerstyle take on one of classic rock’s most enduring hits; our arrangement covers all the melodies you love, including the epic guitar solo! (GUITAR SOLO IS OPTIONAL)
4) “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen * – This fingerstyle arrangement covers the entire song! Get ready, as you’re about to embark on an epic ukulele journey through one of rocks’ most beloved songs. (REQUIRES LOW G UKULELE) * Receive an EXTRA entry for tackling this song!
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner to Intermediate Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: “House of the Rising Sun” OR “Can’t Help Falling in Love”
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: “Sweet Child O’ Mine” OR “Bohemian Rhapsody”
3. Participation Goal: 75 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 4 pieces anytime between Friday, November 1st till Saturday, November 30th, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE. (ONLY for Base Model K-1 Prize. Continental U.S. Shipping fee will be collected by Kanile’a Ukulele if you choose the Custom Ukulele Prize.)
If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Kanile’a if you choose the Custom Ukulele Prize and Uke Republic if you choose the base K-1 Ukulele Prize. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
There will be 3 chances for you to win this ukulele:
First Chance: Participate in our October Challenge: A Somber Halloween!
Second Chance: Participate in our November Challenge.
Third Chance: Participate in our December Challenge.
Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries. On December 24th, I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN this AMAZING Kanile’a Ukulele! To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
Basic members can earn up to 3 entries for the prize.
Premium members can earn up to 6 entries for the prize. You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of October and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).
YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.
Grand Prize – CHOOSE ONE:
1) Design Your OWN Custom Kanile’a Ukulele! Includes:
* NOTE: Selecting this prize will require YOU to cover the cost of the options and features you choose, as well as, shipping and custom & duty fees. You will receive a $1,500 credit towards the final cost of the instrument. Please click the link above and play around with the configurator to gain an idea of what the instrument will cost with all options selected. But to give you an idea, a base model (K-1) soprano ukulele is $1,422. This includes a $300 custom shop fee over the production model K-1. This leaves you $78 in credit, which will most likely cover shipping. This ukulele will ship direct from Kanile’a and the remaining balance will be collected by them.
The configurator is only set up for tenor sized ukuleles. For pricing for soprano and concert size ukuleles, please call 808-234-2868 and ask for Micah. Tell him I sent you!
2) Your Choice of a K-1 Ukulele, ANY SIZE! Includes:
A) Kanile’a K-1 Soprano: $1,122
B) Kanile’a K-1 Concert: $1,227
C) Kanile’a K-1 Tenor: $1,331
* NOTE: This prize is available for those who do not wish to spend additional money on customizing an instrument. You will receive a base model K-1 ukulele in your choice of size. You are responsible for shipping, custom, & duty fees (see FAQ #5 above).
Body & FacePlate: SOLID HAWAIIAN KOA
FretBoard & Pin Bridge: ROSEWOOD
Head Stock: KANILE’A CROWN
Nut & Saddle: NUBONE
Tuning Keys: OPEN GEARED KANILE’A TUNERS
UV Finish: HIGH GLOSS
Strings: AQUILA SUPER NYLGUT (HIGH G)
Other Features: MOTHER OF PEARL INLAY ON FRETBOARD, INCLUDES UKECRAZY HARDSHELL CASE
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!October 31, 2019 at 3:10 pm #33212
Yay, House of the Rising Sun!! I was gonna learn that anyway 🙂October 31, 2019 at 5:32 pm #33236
I love all four of these! Clearly 2 are too hard for me. Ah, one day. I might try both of the other two this month. I’m starting with Falling in Love as I’ve already made some progress here.
Goal: Falling in Love, at speed, clean, flowy, with dynamics, and relaxed.
Stretch goal: a solid start on House of the Rising SunOctober 31, 2019 at 6:23 pm #33263
Amazing prize. Wow! Could you maybe “stuff” the ballot box? Lol!
Good luck everyone. Challenges are tough but you are “growing us”, for sure.
Stretching our reach, our brains & our playing abilities!
Thank you.October 31, 2019 at 7:58 pm #33273
Going from a month where I was excited to try 3 of the 4 options to a month where the only one that really appeals to me is Bohemian Rhapsody, which I don’t think I’ll manage in a month. I think I might have to try one of the easier options and move on.November 1, 2019 at 12:42 am #33311
Would love to tackle Bohemian Rhapsody, but don’t know that I’ll have that kind of time.
Any suggestions on how to manage 19 pages?? I get to learn a little at a time. Seems like easiest would be to work with a couple pages at a time and memorize section by section, but don’t know that my brain can hold it all together?November 1, 2019 at 4:53 am #33318
One of my childhood favorites, House of Rising Sun, is what I will tackle. If anyone can give me the house address, I will record it there. LOL
Question: Are we no longer required to memorize our chosen piece? I feel like I’m being “Gaslighted”. I couldn’t find it anywhere in the ground rules….so I went back to much earlier challenges and couldn’t find it there either……GASLIGHT! lolNovember 1, 2019 at 6:51 am #33319
It would be cool to hear someone manage Bohemian Rhapsody but 19 pages? Maybe it could be a two month challenge for 3 or 4 entries instead of one month for three? Otherwise it’s 5 pages a week with a few days to put It together. Quite a task. It won’t be me, either way, unfortunately. Great song. Maybe in 2029.
Rickey, I don’t think memorizing was ever required, but It’s always highly recommended. It’s good practice and it gets so much easier if you keep memorizing.November 1, 2019 at 9:49 am #33320
I think I’ll go for Sweet Child of Mine.
Bohemian Rapsody wouldn’t be realistic for me as a seasoned beginner,
I was a bit too optimistic with Danse Macabre with my 7 months experience.
I always smile when you describe our kind as seasoned beginners, like as if we are sprinkled with herbs oil and vinegar.
Maybe that is an American way to prepare for the intermediate main dish.
Rock Barbarian that I am, I’ve never heard of the song, but I like it.
Still waiting for my electric uke to come since 1st of July.
Maybe if it comes and I have enough time I will try the solo on that.
Andrew: Are we expected to play the solo?
And if so, in a dual window?November 1, 2019 at 11:28 am #33330
I already learned House of the Rising Sun, but I’m still struggling with the barre chord D to the three finger F transition. It slows me down so much (harder than the Sound of Silence transitions for me haha). I hope I can get this smooth soon.
I love Sweet Child O Mine, but this is way out of my level 🙂
(My new uke hasn’t arrived yet, maybe it will be more like a christmas than a birthday present)
Jina – the description says, the solo is optional 🙂November 1, 2019 at 5:15 pm #33333
I’m doing the love song… (Sigh. 😕 Especially which one.. It’s a pretty arrangement but bet it’s gunna have repercussions on me..) Can’t do the strumming on House.. asked Daniel what I can do btw with strumming, and was told im basically kinda screwed… So yeah…
I don’t think I can pull off BR, or SCOM quite yet. Still have never managed to record 3 entries on one of these Kanile’a 3 month drawings lol. Maybe this time.
I have trouble with the very first chord in BR which really ticks me off… It feels like it wouldn’t be near impossible and hurt so much if I could just stick my stupid elbow out… Considering I really want to play BR, I’ll try to figure something out.. But it can’t happen in a month for me currently. (especially this month!) I’m super excited to hear whoever does those entries though!November 1, 2019 at 8:53 pm #33337
@lildevil – That song is broken into many sections, which is reflected in the lesson videos. I’d recommend working on one section at a time and building it from the start.November 1, 2019 at 10:32 pm #33339
Thanks @andrew. I hear what you’re saying. What I was really asking was more how to literally manipulate 19 sheets of music, short of clipping them to a clothesline and draping it across the room. Seems the only option is to learn AND MEMORIZE section by section or we’ll be spending the whole time turning pages! Then once I have it memorized, use the Tab Play Along feature to get up to practice and get up to speed. What makes me think I can do this in a month is anybody’s guess!November 2, 2019 at 2:02 am #33342
Hey there @andrew
I would love to tackle Bohemian Rhapsody, but I had a question: could I record some of the parts separately and splice them together on iMovie?
It’s 19 pages and there’s just no way I could memorize that much, but I could definitely do chunks and put them together as smoothly as I can. Would that be against the rules?
Thanks! Looking forward to tackling this huge challenge! I like your version of the song a lot!
November 2, 2019 at 10:20 am #33346
- This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by givingtree89.
Andrew, do we have to use a capo on Bohemian Rhapsody in our performance video?
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.