Participate in the November 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN Kanile'a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the November 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN Kanile'a!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 309 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@lildevil – So about that. It’s 19 pages, because I had to use a different style (or layout) format. The problem was the song has 96 or 98 chords and guitar pro (program we notate in) couldn’t handle it! LOL you should have seen page 1, where chord diagrams are normally shown in our music. It was a mess, the charts were appearing halfway on/off the page.

Check out @givingtree89’s idea. Maybe record 1 part at a time and piece it together.

@givingtree89
    – totally fine!

@surfnrz
    – No. Lesson’s are taught without one. Capo made it too hard for me. I didn’t know what fret I was on with all the crazy jumps and the frets got too small on a concert for my hand. No capo is much easier IMO.

surfnrz

Andrew, Thanks! I totally agree! No fret room that high. Plus, I’m not a capo fan, they mess with my head! Lol!

oldan_
    Participant

Hey,

OK, I see now that House of the Rising Sun is going to be a much bigger challenge for me than The Sound of Silence…

I am struggling a lot with the ghost strum melody part. I see we are trying to replicate the same rhythm pattern as with the picking, but I can’t get my head around it.

Do you have any tips how to approach this?

I am trying to very slowly speaking and strumming like this (at a constant tempo), working on Bar 5:

Down, Miss (up without hitting), Ghost, Up, Ghost, Up, Down, Miss, Down, Miss, Ghost Up, Ghost, Up, Down, Miss, Ghost, Up, Down.

Any helpful tips you guys? 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

@oldan_ – I’d simplify the strum technique and count the rhythms as you play. Try this:

lisadmh
    Participant

OMG, I just started messing with Sweet Child. Way above my level and it’s not going to happen, but life goals, dudes.

My stretch goal for the month is now to have the riff of it. I need more G&R in my life.

robinboyd
    Participant

@rickeymike – I don’t think memorization was ever a requirement for the challenges. It was just a recommendation to help with learning.

Also, here is a quote from Wikipedia:

Only three candidates that use the name Rising Sun have historical evidence—from old city directories and newspapers. The first was a small, short-lived hotel on Conti Street in the French Quarter in the 1820s. It burned down in 1822. An excavation and document search in early 2005 found evidence that supported this claim, including an advertisement with language that may have euphemistically indicated prostitution. Archaeologists found an unusually large number of pots of rouge and cosmetics at the site.[50][51]

The second possibility was a “Rising Sun Hall” listed in late 19th-century city directories on what is now Cherokee Street, at the riverfront in the uptown Carrollton neighborhood, which seems to have been a building owned and used for meetings of a Social Aid and Pleasure Club, commonly rented out for dances and functions. It also is no longer extant. Definite links to gambling or prostitution (if any) are undocumented for either of these buildings.

A third was “The Rising Sun”, which advertised in several local newspapers in the 1860s, located on what is now the lake side of the 100 block of Decatur Street.[52] In various advertisements it is described as a “Restaurant”, a “Lager Beer Salon”, and a “Coffee House”. At the time, New Orleans businesses listed as coffee houses often also sold alcoholic beverages.

Dave Van Ronk claimed in his biography “The Mayor of MacDougal Street” that at one time when he was in New Orleans someone approached him with a number of old photos of the city from the turn of the century. Among them “was a picture of a foreboding stone doorway with a carving on the lintel of a stylized rising sun… It was the Orleans Parish women’s prison”.[53]

Bizarre New Orleans, a guidebook on New Orleans, asserts that the real house was at 1614 Esplanade Avenue between 1862 and 1874 and was said to have been named after its madam, Marianne LeSoleil Levant, whose surname means “the rising sun” in French.[16]

Another guidebook, Offbeat New Orleans, asserts that the real House of the Rising Sun was at 826–830 St. Louis St. between 1862 and 1874, also purportedly named for Marianne LeSoleil Levant. The building still stands, and Eric Burdon, after visiting at the behest of the owner, said, “The house was talking to me”.[54]

There is a contemporary B&B called the House of the Rising Sun, decorated in brothel style. The owners are fans of the song, but there is no connection with the original place.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by robinboyd.
    givingtree89

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by givingtree89.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by givingtree89.
    rickeymike
    Participant

@robinboyd – Wow. Didn’t know so much research went into that. LOL

Best bet is Conti Street but that’s gone. So I’m going with St. Louis Street. That address is just off Bourbon Street.

The 100 block of Decatur has always been a “seedy”/shady block in the Quarter. Lots of Greek “nightclubs” and visited by many sailors on leave (the Mississippi river is just a couple of blocks away).

Memorization: Well, somewhere early on, I was scared to not memorize it less I invoke the “wrath of Andrew”.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@givingtree89 – You deleted your comment/question. Did you figure it out?

givingtree89

@andrew Yes I did! Thank you! I didn’t know how to completely delete the comment from the forum (not sure if there is a way), but I’m all good! Gonna go back to practicing! Thank you 🙂

becky7777
    Participant

@Robin -Wow! I didn’t realize the song was based on a real place. That’s really cool.

@Ricky -if you do go to the site take a picture if it’s not a really scary place now. I might be able to ‘go there’ on google maps street view though. Have to check. 😁

rickeymike
    Participant

Becky, I just looked on google earth at the Esplanade address. I’m not sure that would be it because it would have been at the outskirt or back of town in early New Orleans. But depending on the time period, who knows. Most of the homes and mansions on Esplanade do have that greek revival look. But if you research it more let me know. I will start the video of me at the front door/gate. (MAYBE. ha).

The only one that I can for sure say it’s not, is the Cherokee St. site.

oldan_
    Participant

Andrew,

Thanks for that response. Makes sense, I’ve tried first to substitute a down strum for the ghost strum. The simplification you suggested is definitely something that will help. I’ll shoot for the original arrangement (it’s only day 3, haha), but you’ve increased my understanding which is great 🙂

The switch from D back to the F+C is surprisingly difficult too…

BTW, fantastic job on putting together the theory part of the course – in the end the difference between the fingerpicking approaches and the great explanation was what sold it to me 🙂 keep up the good work!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@oldan_ – Thanks for the kind words! I look forward to watching your performance 🙂

cauer2

Well all the arrangements look great. It looks like I will be going ahead with house of the rising son, as I don’t have a low g uke. I would love to play the Elvis piece; its such a beautiful arrangement. Both of the others are above my pay grade for now but I look forward to the post of those who take them on. Good luck this month everyone.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 309 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.