Participate in the September 2020 Member Challenge – Original Music!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the September 2020 Member Challenge – Original Music!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 130 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Rock Class 101 Community!

We are back with site member challenge #42! WOW, there has now been over 1,900+ members participating in our challenges! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players 🙂 And I offer feedback on ALL submissions!

Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.

Pick 1 from the following 4 Original Ukulele Lessons:

1) Uke Blues no. 2 * – This fingerstyle piece teaches you bluesy licks and a chord progression that dances between a somber, yet hopeful tonality. * Taught in its entirety for FREE!

2) Classical Etude * – This classical composition uses double stops (playing two notes at once) to effortlessly carry the melody up and down the neck. * Taught in its entirety for FREE!

3) Wonder Part 2 * – This cute sounding fingerstyle song has three themes with each theme focusing on a different aspect of playing. * Taught in its entirety for FREE!

4) Compose Your Own Song! – Submit an instrumental or vocal composition. Your song must contain the 3 elements of music: Melody, Harmony, and Rhythm.

** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **

GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:

1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂

Recommended Piece: Wonder Part 2

2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.

Recommended Piece (from easier to harder): Uke Blues no. 2, Classical Etude, or Original Composition

3. Participation Goal: 35 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.

GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:

1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 4 Original pieces anytime between Tuesday, September 1st until Wednesday, September 30th, 11:59pm EST.

The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:

YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel

SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin

2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.

3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.

4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.

5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.

* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.

COMMON FAQs:

1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!

2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.

3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.

4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:

YouTube URL

5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD. This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.

Giveaway Rules:

There will be 1 winner, selected by random drawing on October 5th. To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.

Grand Prize:

1) $165 Grand Prize! Includes:

A) Islander ASC-4 Acacia Super Concert Ukulele

null

null

THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!

Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/

Kanile’a: https://www.kanileaukulele.com/

Islander: http://www.islanderukulele.com/

Let’s crush this challenge!

lisadmh
    Participant

And we’re off, for another month! I have an original I’ve been working on for a bit. Don’t get too excited, I don’t know what I’m doing. 🙂

Since my original is coming along well, I’m going to also try the Blues song. I love the blues and it’s a great tune.

Thanks for another fun challenge, Andrew.

nthibode

I loved Uke Blues no. 2 the first time I heard it, so I learned it back when it was released. Thank you for composing such a fun tune, @Andrew! Here is my recording from today.

Looking forward to hearing the original compositions this month. Happy September!

aloooy
    Participant

@nthibode

Woah! .. 2nd reply of the post and we already have an entry! .. How did you learn that so quickly 🙂

nice playing.. looking forward to learning this piece for this month.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by aloooy.
    robinboyd
    Participant

Well, I’ve never written any music before, but I started writing a piece last night. Hopefully it will work. I noticed that a lot of the songs that I’ve been enjoying lately use Am, Em7 and F chords a lot, so I just started noodling around with them. I stumbled upon the F, Em7, Am progression. I think this piece is in Am, which makes this a VI, v7, i, progression. I’ve never heard of that before, but it seems to work. Wish me luck guys. I’ll need it!

samash07
    Participant

Good luck Robin and Lisa! Can’t wait to see what you guys have cooked up for the challenge.

You know, just 3-4 days ago I was thinking about learning Wonder since it sounds so awesome and now it’s part of the monthly challenge! Amazing.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by samash07.
    nthibode

Thanks @aloooy! I learned it back in May and was hopeful it would be in a challenge some day 🙂 Have fun!

deadbuggy
    Participant

I’ve been hoping for another original song challenge! I was noodling with some chords and thought this sounded fun and old-timey.

lesalulu

Wow, @nthibode and @deadbuggy, I’m so impressed. Good luck to you.

rickeymike
    Participant

too good, Buggy!

kanae926
    Participant

Dang, it’s only the second day and already, there are two great submissions to kick off the month. Those are some tough acts to follow!

Awesome playing, Nathalie! Sara, we didn’t know you could sing! So lovely! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 Hats off to both of you.

nthibode

Thanks @lesalulu and @kanae926! Nice shirt & pic, Kanni!!! ♥

andyrose
    Participant

I love the sound of the Classical Etude! I’ve wanted to play it ever since that lesson was posted. Having it in the challenge this month is just the boost I need to get serious about learning it.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@nthibode – Your performance was awesome, Nathalie! The only thing I’d suggest is more of a “to taste” thing – which is to staccato some of the pops more, like the ‘beat 3 hits’ in the first 4 bars of theme 1. I think that makes them stand out more from the “let ring” feel of the phrases that surround them.

@deadbuggy
    – Your song was AMAZING! I loved it, gonna def share this in our email tomorrow 🙂 And wow, you have a great voice too!

deadbuggy
    Participant

Thank you so much, Andrew, and everyone else for the kind words! RC101 has helped unlock some creativity in this player!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 130 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.