Pedals that work

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear Pedals that work

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    surferjay
    Participant

I’m looking to make a small pedalboard for my Ukulele. I’d be interested to know which brand of pedals people are using.. I’ve had mixed success so any recommendations would be appreciated.

I’m looking for:

1. Reverb Pedal.
    2. Delay Pedal.
    3. Compressor.

What I would like ideally is something which just ehances the sound but keeps the original tone of the Uke as much as possible. For instance I have reverb and chorus on my Fishman amp. Using the reverb on the amp is a nice balanced tone… But I purchased a cheap Reverb Pedal from eBay (which had more options than the amp) and the sound that comes out of the amp when it’s plugged in is awful. It sounds like I purchased a $10 speaker and am playing out of it 🙂

Any suggestions appreciated 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

I don’t have much experience with pedals for uke, but for guitar I do! I use a Wampler Ego Compressor and Boss DD-3 for delay. You can hear them both on this clip:

annemarie
    Participant

Great sounding band! You sound fantastic on that electric guitar, Andrew!
    Hey, I’m excited to learn 50s Rock and Blues for this month’s challenge and would like to practice playing it with a pick.
    Can you recommend a few? I’m not sure if I should use felt, leather or plastic.
    Thank you, Andrew or anyone else who might respond.

Annemarie

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thank you, Annemarie! I use Jazz III picks. You can hear what they sound like on uke in the solo for La Bamba and The Chicken.

I tried felt, I didn’t like them. Never tried leather and honestly never knew that was an option. The Jazz III are made out of nylon. Diff feel than plastic picks. They also are small picks, which I prefer over large ones.

annemarie
    Participant

Thanks Andrew. I just ordered a 6 pack of Jazz III picks!

surferjay
    Participant

Love the solo! Was really getting into it 😍 I’ll check out those pedals.

gi_gi_
    Participant

Ukulele Wales on You Tube has some great economical pedals for the uke. 430 and under. I’ve made a board similar to hers and it’s great and compact. I have a reverb, compression, looper and a pedal for forwarding the looper. Small board. Great price for experimenting.

gi_gi_
    Participant

Great band @Andrew. You killed it☺️

surferjay
    Participant

@gi_gi_ I’ve had a play with a lot of cheap pedals which are great to experiment with but I’ve found the following problems:

– Cheap pedals tend to provide a buzzing sound.
    – They always seem to make a popping sound at some stage when activated/deactivated which Worries me as I don’t think its great for the amp.
    – I have a fishman amp which gives my Uke a warm tone. The pedals make this more of a synthesised sound.

When I add up what I need it’s really only a looper with two loopers on it (Ditto x4), decent reverb, delay and compressor. It comes out at around $200 a pedal.. $800.

What I decided to do instead is.. Use Ableton live and buy a x3 USB pedal off eBay (they are like $20).

This way you can use all of the effects via Ableton plus map the Ableton Loopers to the USB pedal giving you 3x separate loopers you can activate with your foot.

Obviously can’t be used for live performance when busking but for home studio you can get a professional sound and functionality for less than a $100.

My next upgrade will be my Uke so splashing $800 on pedals on my little Cordoba Uke $250 might be overkill.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.