Reasons for high frets being sharp?

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear Reasons for high frets being sharp?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    effortless

Hi everyone, sorry if this isn’t the best place to post my question.
    I have a Cordoba U1-M that I’ve been playing daily for months now. I’ve been trying different kinds of strings since I started to practice the uke more seriously. About 5 days ago I put D’addario low G nylon strings on my uke. they’ve stretched out and stayed in tune for a couple days now but this morning when I started to play I played a G on the E string and it sounded really bad so I put my tuner on to check it out. the open E was in tune but the G was showing as halfway in between a G and G#. I have noticed that the higher frets get a little sharp on my uke but never that dramatic. The C string was having a similar issue but G and A strings were fine. I’m worried that the neck is starting to warp but nothing looks wrong to my eye. So are there other reasons this might be happening?

kanae926
    Participant

Bad intonation up the neck could be attributed to needing a setup. It’s possible that the action is too high. Or the issue could be specific to the type of strings – some sets are thicker than others and sit too high in the nut slots which could pull a string to go sharp when fretted.

I just got a set of D’Addario titaniums and they are fat fluorocarbons that can be in tune in the open position but are immediately sharp when fretted (especially the C string, the fattest one). For reference, I’ve attached the D’Addario specs compared to Worth Browns.

effortless

ah that makes sense. If I run my finger over the nut I can feel the E and C strings slightly raised. Thank you very much!

robinboyd
    Participant

It might also help to try a few different strings. When I used a fluorocarbon low G, my that string went really sharp up the fretboard because it was too thick, but it’s fine with a wound string. Using different strings is much easier than filing the nut slot. It may or may not work, though.

miztaken
    Participant

If you have a very fine file, you can gently and slowly file the nut to fit the string.
    Or take it for a set up and they will do it for you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.