Red is the Rose

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Red is the Rose

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    becky7777
    Participant

Andrew-

I’m learning Red is the Rose on low G.

Do you have a suggestion for 1 note to substitute in measure 13? For the open G? (Semi close by the G5(1)* fingering)

I’ve compensated elsewhere in the song with a slur,(?) or a ghost note from a different string in the chord, but I’m stuck here. The rest of the intro and melody A seem to be working ok, but everything I’ve tried here just sounds weird or flat out ruins the next measure.

If you need a video to figure out where I’m coming from, i’ll have someone point this fire at me though.

Andrew
    Keymaster

The easiest thing is to play that note on the 2nd string, 3rd fret. It’s the same pitch (unison). Give that a shot 🙂

becky7777
    Participant

My lord…

I’ve been struggling with this for hours because I’ve apparently been in hardcore denial trying to get a different note to go after that high g rather than just play the same note 2x…. Music score and video, which I’ve been studying and watching, even clearly show it. But my brain was like “nope, wrong.”

I feel like an idiot lol. It’s like walking around for 10 minutes looking for the car keys and you’re holding them in your hand the entire time…

Thank you though. This was driving me beyond insane.

becky7777
    Participant

Melody B

I’m up to that first octave bar.

Is the best way to play this, is by keeping the octave form you go over in the video but changing it’s fingering to my pinky and middle finger?

This leaves ring and pointer to hit the high g on the 3rd fret keeping the form.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hmm, I’m not sure where you mean. Which bar(s)?

becky7777
    Participant

Bar 28.

Rewritten version.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/1CH_shWjSFON-bjLDe_Y1Q.jM9Gma5_oyo92CRffvVYI4

It looks like I’ll need to do something similar on bar 36 too where it’s got the same form with the high g played between? (goodie. lol)

If there’s an alternative or a better way it would be helpful.

I just don’t want to spend the rest of the month practicing this wrong if there IS a better way and i’m completely oblivious to it.

28 and 36 look to be the only other serious problems I may run into other then just playing faster. (and nailing that weird fingering.)

Andrew
    Keymaster

You could do a pull-off from 3 to 0 on string 2. Or play open E as a quarter on beat 2, forgoing the G note.

becky7777
    Participant

I’ll give this a shot ty. Really struggling with that bar. (I will get it but needed an alternative to give my tendon a break. And actually NOT come to a complete halt) I was playing through, hit this like a brick wall.

Thank you again for putting up with me! 👍💖

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.