Silent Night Help

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Silent Night Help

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    rickeymike
    Participant

Hey Andrew. Just started my December challenge and am having problems already with the first 2 bars. After plucking the c5 chord, I don’t hear or see the second note being played which would be the open pluck of the A string. And then the same exact thing with the second bar starting after the triple pluck of the open strings C chord, I don’t hear the second note which again is the pluck of the open A string. That second note in both the first 2 bars doesn’t even seem that it should be there. When I play the first bar without that second note it sounds more like what the instructor is playing. As I watched the whole video, the instructor does not notate which bar he is on and seems in general to rush through it without explaining finger postions.

Rickey

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Rickey, my apologies for him rushing. It was one of the first videos Stephen made for us, and if you’ve seen a recent one from him, I’ve made sure that his instruction is detailed and thorough. Here is a video to help you out. I also updated the tablature to include chord graphs with fingerings. I’m not sure why it didn’t have that in the first place, as all of our tabs include that. I also updated the “helpful tips” description to include a few tips for making some of the bars easier to play.

Let me know if you have any questions 🙂

rickeymike
    Participant

Superb, Andrew. Getting ready for bed so I’ll delve into this more tomorrow. Ha. But I think I’m getting it now. I was trying to sing along with those first few bars as you played them and now I realize that the first bar is sung SI I LENT NIGHT (1,2,3&4). Then the next bar is NO singing then repeating the next line HO O LY NIGHT (1,2,3&4). I did figure out on my own that I could strum the chords optionally and I pretty much gathered that this was probably one of your first recordings. So to repeat, I would sing along as : Silent night (dah, dah, dah) Holy night (dah, dah dah). That taking me through the first 4 bars. Is this a Professor Higgins moment? haha. If I got it, then my advice to others is don’t try to sing it without the “non singing notes” of bars 2 and 4.

rickeymike
    Participant

Andrew, here’s my upload of the first 4 bars. I’m having trouble matching the words and syllables of words to these four bars. There must me some notes that don’t get a corresponding word. So is it possible to tell me the corresponding words to these bars. I believe that I’ve played the bars according to instruction. Sorry to be a pain.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here is a video to help you out 🙂 Be sure to use the tab player set to “synthetic” mode with the metronome activated for further help with the timing. For a tutorial on how to do this, reference the second video on this page and skip 6 minutes into it.

rickeymike
    Participant

Just watched the video that you referenced. I never knew that I could do all that with the tab player. I don’t take my old advice i.e. get to know your software because it is so much more powerful than you think. Thanks, and I promise not to bother you for at least 7 days. :).

Rickey

Andrew
    Keymaster

Happy to help 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.