Spanish Romance

Home Page Forums Showcase Your Playing Spanish Romance

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

Heeelllloooo! ๐Ÿ˜Š

So, this is a song I’ve been obsessed with lately. Matt Dahlberg did a lovely arrangement of this song for his YouTube channel recently, and it was the first time I ever really heard it and I fell in love with it. I learned Matt’s arrangement, then saw that RC101 also had an arrangement and I learned it as well. ๐Ÿ˜‚ Steven did a very lovely job with this.

I also just got a… DAW so I was messing around with that for this video (with mixed results). ๐Ÿ˜…

My wardrobe when filming on a Sunday afternoon is what you would call “honest.” ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜Š

And I messed up a lot when playing. I just did. Especially that big slide; I bombed that. Anyway, here ’tis:

gi_gi_
    Participant

Hi @TBB that was sooooo sooooo good. I havent been actively chatting but loving all youโ€™re working on. Your fingerpicking was so smooth.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@gi_gi_, thank you soooooooososo much, my friend! I can’t even say how encouraging that is. It’s so easy to get caught up in your mistakes or what you could’ve done better, so I really appreciate that. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ’•

I saw your entry for the monthly challenge and it was very lovely indeed! I also really liked the monochromatic style of the video. ๐Ÿ˜Š

gi_gi_
    Participant

@TBB I like all the spanish style songs. I think thatโ€™s why I loved Adelita. Iโ€™m totally hooked on the Classical songs now. Are you familiar with Jeff Peterson? I bought his Classical repertoire book for the uke. Itโ€™s quite amazing.

I was so shocked my performance got featured on this weekโ€™s newsletter ๐Ÿ˜ฑ I hadnโ€™t seen it because I stopped reading after I saw Evan and Mattโ€™s pieces ๐Ÿ˜‚ Two days later I looked at it again and noticed I was featuredโ€ฆ I turned the video to black and white just because. I donโ€™t even know why but thanks ๐Ÿ˜‚ Iโ€™ve spent this entire month continuing to work on Adelita and to remember Crazy. Canโ€™t believe that was last Summerโ€ฆ time flies. Might as well make the time count by practicing a little everyday. Keep up the good work my friend.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@gi_gi_ you did such a lovely job with Adelita! I really loved that one, too, but sigh, I was too scared to try it. I still haven’t tried it. I don’t know what my issue is with that; I’m still trying to figure out why sometimes I feel so hindered from trying certain things and so anxious. I’ll get there eventually. ๐Ÿฅบ๐Ÿ˜‚

That’s really cool that you kept working on Adelita though. That’s part of why I love classical music because you can impart so much subtlety of feeling through the notes with enough practice. For me, I have to be extremely familiar with any song before I can express the kind of emotion I want through it.

Oh no, I haven’t heard of him, but I feel like I should seek out that book, too! I also love classical music so much. I love any song that can be flowy, fingerpickity (that’s right ๐Ÿ˜‚), and rubato-y–and that you can express the ebb and flow of the human condition–with all its sorrows and joys–through the notes. …I also love The Backstreet Boys. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‚

That was so neat! I saw that you were featured. ๐Ÿ˜ Wait, I think that Crazy was in the first challenge I joined in on! In July? If so, that was the first challenge I was a part of that I won the electric uke. It is so “crazy” that that was almost a year ago already. Time really does fly.

One last thing, if you haven’t, you should also get John King’s classical ukulele book. Matt recommended that a bunch of times and it is also very, very lovely. ๐Ÿ˜Š

gi_gi_
    Participant

@TBB John King? Ohhhh I will find it/him. Jeff Peterson is a Uke and Guitar Master. Heโ€™s won Grammyโ€™s and is the most humble, kind person. You can find his videos on You tube. His playing will blow your mind.

Thatโ€™s right, you won the uke that month. How cool is that? It must be so surreal to win. Iโ€™m sure noone thinks theyโ€™re gonna win. How fun. Iโ€™m happy just learning but to win is icing on the cake and a cherry on top ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ

It seems as if youโ€™ve been playing for such a long time. Thatโ€™s great. I make 2 years learning in May. Yippee!!!!

gi_gi_
    Participant

@TBB check out Jeff Peterson on Ukulele Corner on You Tube too. Check out his Adelita ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@gi_gi_, this is the exact book for John King: https://www.amazon.com/John-King-Classical-Ukulele-Masters/dp/0634079794

Fair warning, some of the songs are quite tricky because they’re written in the campanella style. Difficult fingering. Don’t know how much you know about that, but basically the idea is that each successive note is played on a different string, so that every note rings out as much as possible. I may not be explaining that well. ๐Ÿ˜…

Jeff Peterson’s Adelita was a-mazing! Absolute perfection. That arrangement seems a lot like Steven’s, but you would know more than I would. Cool, now I have another great uke player to fixate on. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‚

He also played Spanish Romance (or Romanza; it has many names): https://youtu.be/0iKSm6hiY8M ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜ญ

(Snaps my ukulele in half over my leg) ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜…

I still can’t believe I won that electric uke. When I got the email I was in the grocery store and felt like I was going to faint and cry. It was crazy. I may actually not want to be in the drawing for the Kanile’a because I already won once.

…….. Last thing….. Have you ever heard of Brandon Acker? I stumbled across him playing Chopin on guitar and it, well, changed the way I viewed classical music. Just so amazing.

This song: https://youtu.be/wgm7rmWjNpo

I learned a version of that song on uke because I loved it so much, but it’s still a work in progress. And it’s not that. ๐Ÿ˜‚ But boy is his playing beautiful…

gi_gi_
    Participant

@TBB yummy goodness for me to go through. Thanks for the links. This is funโ€ฆ
    Iโ€™m subscribed to Brandon Acker. Heโ€™s amazing too ๐Ÿ˜ฑ. I started with the guitar but when a friend gave me a uke it took over ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚

gi_gi_
    Participant

After listening to Jeffโ€™s Romanza and then listening back to yours I am even more impressed with yours. You did so well. Keep practicing it because it sounds so similar to Jeffโ€™s. Youโ€™re right there. Wow! I will learn it one day but after Adelita I think I will work on Lagrimaโ€ฆ.

gi_gi_
    Participant

@TBB ok I just saw Brandon Acker playing Chopin on guitar ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ ๐Ÿคฏ๐Ÿคฏ๐Ÿคฏ

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

Hahaha, @gi_gi_, when you used the phrase “yummy goodness,” just for a split second I thought you were referring to Brandon Acker himself. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜… But that may be me projecting because I think that he’s pretty easy on the eyes. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜‚ This really is fun. ๐Ÿ˜

Ha, I have a guitar but I bought it from a thrift shop not knowing it was a child’s guitar. I took it to a Guitar Center to get the strings replaced and the guy was laughing at me and also staring into my soul so I never went back there. ๐Ÿ˜‚ And really barely played the guitar after that. I got the guitar after I got the uke though so that experience just pushed me more in the direction of the ukulele. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Oh my gosh thank you so much for saying that. I can’t even say how encouraging that is to be compared to the likes of these fellows. I will defs keep practicing and you should, too, as your performances on these tunes is so lovely. Lagrima sounds so familiar but I can’t quite place it. And you should defs learn Spanish Romance. It’s incredibly satisfying to play.

Oh my, yes, his performance of that particular song rocks me to my core. It has the effect of completely transporting you. That’s the feeling I want to capture and experience when I play music.

Brandon Acker also plays a song called Los Recuerdos de Alambra, but sorry if the spelling is wrong. It’s absolutely stunning. He’s probably the guitarist who inspires me the most as far as the type of songs he plays and the way he plays them.

surferjay
    Participant

@tbb Loved it! You are gaining some serious skills ๐Ÿ˜

@gi_gi Love your NFT is that from James Hill are you involved in the project? Very cool.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@surferjay, thank you kindly, friend! ๐Ÿ˜ป I may want to get a better take on this that doesn’t have that messed up slide in the middle; it irks me. ๐Ÿ˜…

I also really like your picture, GG! I’ve thought about drawing a little picture for on here and for my sad little YouTube channel, but haven’t gotten to it yet. ๐Ÿ˜…

gi_gi_
    Participant

@SurferJay yes. Itโ€™s a ukehead but I didnโ€™t participate in anything ๐Ÿ˜‚ I just bought the NFT. I plan to go to a practice tmrow. Itโ€™s the last recording for the present album. I love the idea. Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.