Strings

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear Strings

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    delugehound

Quick opinion request from everyone. I currently have a Mitchell concert sized uke equipped with Aquila Red strings in a low G and a Breedlove concert uke equipped with standard Aquila strings.

I noticed I have far better luck with my Low G when it comes to hammer-ons and pull off’s. The strings sustain sounds a little longer too. I struggle with my Breedlove to accomplish the same skills.

Any feedback on this issue? I like having one of each even though the low G is my favorite, but I’m wondering if the strings could be part of the issue. What do you guys think? Maybe change out the strings on my Breedlove?

evapaju

Standard Aquila strings are quite mellow and dull sounding in my opinion if you play acoustically. Probably good for strumming. Aquila reds with low G are my favourite too for fingerpicking.
    For second ukulele I would recommend clear fluorocarbon. If you prefer really bright sound then Worth clear fluorocarbon low tension srtings (CL 46) could suit. I prefer at the moment Martin M600 clear fluorocarbon- just enough sustain but also nice warm tone.
    Martin also produces premium polygut strings what are very close to Aquila reds but dark grey colour and little bit smoother surface.
    Changeing strings are pretty easy and cheap way of changing how your ukulele sounds. Also lot of fun 🙂

janaq1
    Participant

I personally don’t like Aquila strings. I prefer fluorocarbon strings. I also like the Martin M600 for concert ukulele.

egomaniac
    Participant

I agree that changing strings is an easy way to find different tones on your ukuleles.

I’ve been playing custom low tension fluorocarbons from Uke Logic for over a year now.
    I used to play the Aquila AG x AQ (Aldrine Guerrero’s Aquila strings).

Definitely noticed the difference in tone and feel on my Kanile’a tenors. I’m feeling the difference in tone even with the slightest change in attack which is critical in performance.

Also, strings need to be changed consistently to maintain quality tone based off of how often you’re playing and practicing. I change my strings on my main 2 Kanile’a ukes every 4-6 weeks.

Good luck and happy tone hunting!

egomaniac
    Participant

I agree that changing strings is an easy way to find different tones on your ukuleles.

I’ve been playing custom low tension fluorocarbons from Uke Logic for over a year now.
    I used to play the Aquila AG x AQ (Aldrine Guerrero’s Aquila strings).

Definitely noticed the difference in tone and feel on my Kanile’a tenors. I’m feeling the difference in tone even with the slightest change in attack which is critical in performance.

Also, strings need to be changed consistently to maintain quality tone based off of how often you’re playing and practicing. I change my strings on my main 2 Kanile’a ukes every 4-6 weeks.

Good luck and happy tone hunting!

surferjay
    Participant

@egomaniac I also am using the Ukelogic strings andxx CD agree the sound of them is above anything else I’ve tried. I’ve also used Aldrins strings in between changed and although they are more mellow they definitely super durable more comfortable to play and definitely last longer.

Through an amp I prefer Aldrins strings. Without an amp Uke Logic are in a league of their own.

drefrank
    Participant

I’ve been experimenting with strings for about a year and a half (since acquiring my current ukulele). In hindsight I’m not exactly sure what I was trying to accomplish. Maybe finding the magical strings that would make me play like Andrew. But alas, ‘twas not to be.
    So, in theory I have been trying to find a good combination of sound and playability. After going through eight or ten different sets of strings I finally settled on Worth Clear Fluorocarbon CT63.
    I’m getting better volume along with nice sound and playability. I believe these are the strings Kanile’a currently uses for their new instruments (at least as of a few months ago).
    In conclusion, I think that selection of strings comes down to a number of personal preferences. And, especially with a new instrument, there is a break in period to contend with. This includes changes in the uke itself and in the way each of us plays in order to get it to sound the way we want.

surferjay
    Participant

@drefrank Great points and it’s interesting to hear everyone’s experience. I to started changing lots of strings looking for ‘the one’.

What I learnt was there are definitely strings which sound better than others but there are also strings which are more comfortable/easy to play.

I’ve settled with Uke Logic strings for when I’m playing acoustically and Aldrins Aquila strings (which are amongst the cheapest you can get) when plugged in.

😎

annemarie
    Participant

Hello!
    Would anyone have first-hand knowledge about a reputable ukulele trader? I have a beautiful tenor that I am just not playing enough, mainly because I prefer a concert size.

Thanks for any feedback!

Anne

annemarie
    Participant

Hello again,

I was also wondering if anyone who feels strongly, one way or the other, about friction tuners vs. geared tuners, would be able to share their opinion with me.

Thanks,
    Anne

popchic
    Participant

Hi Anne, Are you in the UK or USA? If in the UK, I know that Matt at World of Ukes will take in a part exchange and he will give you a decent price for your second hand tenor (well, certainly a better price than trading it on Ebay).

annemarie
    Participant

Hi popchic,
    I am in the US. Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll check it out!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.