Submit Your RC101 Performance for Feedback!

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Submit Your RC101 Performance for Feedback!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    cheick

Hey Andrew ! I hope you’re going better.
    This is an attempt to play fingerpicking 11; without talking about my eternal rhythm issues, I have many problems with this tune. The transintion from bar 12 to 13 is totally awful, I’m not able to mute G string with my palm hand, and my right hand is full of imprecision. Maybe there is something good on it I don’t know ! I know that you will prepare a low G lesson, but I played this tune with my low G uke and it sounds good, doesn’t it ? Ok thanks for feed back. Take care !

machie
    Participant

Thank you for giving me great advice!
    I’ve been thinking about why my strum is so noisy but I had no idea what to do.
    And I’m glad to know about my bad habit! I’ll be careful from now on..
    I want to break bad habits as possible as I can. >.<
    I will also do my best without becoming frantic. 🙂

Please take care of yourself.

Machie

P.S
    It’s my new video. xD
    I hope you’ll enjoy. 😀

hafeez3115

Hi andrew, thanks for the feedback. I’ve already started incorporating the areas for improvement in my playing slowly. So far it’s going pretty well, but there’s on problem I’m facing. I can’t seem to be able to transit from the high f (barre chord) from the chorus back to the slide from fret 3-5. Are there any ways to play it better or does it just come down to practice?

classicuke

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for all that you do. I hope you take all the time you need to recover. It’s going to take me years to get through what you have already provided. I loved The Magic Ukulele Waltz and it was probably too advanced for me at this time but I couldn’t resist. Any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,
    Maria

pup123
    Participant

I can play it a little better than this, but, hey, if I could play it perfectly then there would be no reason for feedback, which I obviously need. Thanks Andrew. I really like this idea.

malagosia
    Participant

Hi Andrew, it was really nice to learn something with you 🙂

hafeez3115

Hey Andrew. Using the feedback you gave me from my last video(I’m Yours), I improved based on the tips that you gave me. Here’s the video, and I hope i improved:

Andrew
    Keymaster

Sheila, thanks for the kind words! I thought you did very well! I’ve got a few suggestions for you. Your fingerpicking form looks great, but watch out for one thing; if you watch the beginning of your video and then skip towards the end, notice how much your right hand moved up and you began fingerpicking over the neck instead of the sound hole. You’ll get a better tone and less chance of nails hitting the neck causing unwanted sounds over the sound hole.

For the walk down melody, those chords are quite tricky. I’d encourage you to rewatch the lesson and relearn that section using the fingerings I suggest. It will make it much easier to play. Other than that, keep working on timing by looping 2 or 4 bars at a time and mastering that before tackling the entire piece.

lalo_eer, awesome! Love it 🙂 great clarity on the notes in your playing and your timing sounds great too. Here’s my suggestion, I really like the feel that you played the intro and solo with; it’s a sustained, ringing-out feel. On the contrast, you played the bulk of the song with a staccato feel. I think it would sound better if you matched the previous sustained feel to that section. Give that a shot and let me know what you think.

cheick, yes, this lesson works perfectly for low G as it mostly focuses on strings 1, 2, and 3. I think you nailed the First theme. This lesson is all about right hand control and you’ve got total Control in this first part; great fingerpicking form/stability in your right hand.

I see what you’re saying about the other section. The thing that’s hard about that is the complex, syncopated 16th note rhythms. You can tackle that section bar by bar and approach it by counting the rhythms and/or playing it by ear. Use the on-screen tab viewer and take one bar at a time, slow it down and loop it. Master One bar at a time before trying the next, then piece two bars together at a time. That’s going to be the best way to get these tricky bars down.

machie, that Latin music blasting made me jump in my chair lol! You did so well on this, awesome timing and feel! Really great job!

hafeez, with that F chord, your index finger is barred across all four strings. When you transition to the 3 to 5 slide, your index finger is barred across strings 1 and 2. The trick is to move that finger vertically down to cover less strings. And wow, much better on the second video! Big improvement in clarity, precision, and timing! Keep up the great work!

Maria, thank you for the kind words! And wow, you are doing extremely well! Left hand and right hand picking form are excellent. It looks like the only section that was challenging, is the section everyone (including me) struggles with: Bars 65 through 68. I’d recommend to stick to the fingering I suggest in the lesson video, it will make it a little bit easier to play. You could also remove the fourth string from that entire section and that will make the chords much easier to play, it would also give you more leeway to alter the fingerings. If I was you, I would work on memorizing this piece and start increasing the tempo slightly to challenge yourself and to build speed.

pup123, I thought you did very well! The thing with this arrangement is that it can be played loosely, something we refer to as rubato. In a nutshell, this means that you are not performing a piece that adheres strictly to a metered tempo. This leads to a performance that tends to be more lyrical in nature. I’ll put a video link below from Matt Dahlberg that talks a little bit more about this concept. But what I would work on for you (keeping this idea in mind) is that, sometimes it seems like you hesitate before going to the next section. So even though we’re not tied to a precise beat, we want it to flow naturally. Try and keep the words in mind as you play and think of it as a call and response. For example, bar 3 is the call, bar 4 is the response.

malagosia, great job! One suggestion: the licks between the snaps are eighth note triplets, but you played them as eighth notes. So I’d go back and work on playing the correct rhythm for those parts. Check out this lesson which explains the Rhythm behind eighth note triplets. I’d also keep working on that swung eighth note feel, it sounds like you’re almost there, but check out this lesson to help reinforce the difference between straight and swung 8th notes.

cheick

Hi Andrew thanks for the feedback, I’m going to play with you on-screen. I want to post this tune for April challenge, I have one week to get it.

wongbrown

Andrew, thank you so much for your feedback. I’ll work on the areas as suggested. One thing though, I have changed to low G for my ukulele and now the melody is so different. Is it ok or do I need to revert back to high G?

Hope you are feeling better.

Cheers/Sheila

Andrew
    Keymaster

Sheila, I’d recommend using High G. I’ll be launching low G lessons soon! 🙂 And big thanks to ALL who participated! This was a lot of fun and we will do it again soon!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • The topic ‘Submit Your RC101 Performance for Feedback!’ is closed to new replies.