Submit Your RC101 Performance for Feedback!

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Submit Your RC101 Performance for Feedback!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi guys, this week and next I am taking a break from producing new lessons as the repetitive strain and nerve issues in my arms have been acting up as of late. In the meantime, I’ve thought of a very cool way to help you guys out over the next week πŸ™‚

Please submit a video of you performing a RC101 arrangement on this forum post. It can be a full performance or a partial performance. Please leave a comment with any question you have about your playing and I will be happy to provide feedback.

Let’s Knock Out a Few FAQ’s:

1) This is open to basic and premium members to participate in. Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.

2) You must play a RC101 arrangement.

3) This community interactive event is only for feedback on your playing, please save general questions for our next lightning round.

4) You must self host your video performance. You can do so for free with a YouTube account. To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:

YouTube URL

5) You have until Friday, April 20th at 11:59pm EST (7 days) to submit a video performance for review.

—-

Why You Should Participate This Week

Feedback is a great way to improve your playing. Oftentimes an extra ear can make all the difference in steering you in the right direction in determining what you need to work on. For example, in our October 2017 challenge, I was able to advise Deb with tips to help her improve her timing and offer advice on playing with a metronome. To this day, I’m still Blown Away by how far she came in 3 weeks. Check out the before and after videos below.

This week is all about you guys! Let’s have some fun and play some uke!

lisadmh
    Participant

Hi Andrew. I hope you feel better. Living with chronic pain is terrible.

But this is a great substitute lesson. People have questions, if that other question thread is any indication. For my part, I think it would be cool to put this week’s activity on a regular rotation and give your arms a break from time to time. Thanks for all you do!

I’ll be posting Day Dreaming. It’s proving harder than I expected…

How long should you practice music for each day? I read many websites from professionals including this one, but they all are different. Some say maxiumim time is 4 hours, some say 30 mins. Thanks

wongbrown

Hi Andrew, sorry to hear that you have sore arms. It is hard to imagine the amount of strength required to use to play for your level. I am a beginner and after playing for a couple of hours, I feel sore arms already! Hope you get well soon. Thank you for using your break time to come up with such a great idea to keep us going and improve.

Sheila

wabbit
    Participant

Andrew, I recently found and joined Rock Class 101. I love this site. So please take as long as you need to recover. We beginners need you.

I’m not quite ready to make a video of me playing. At this point it would just be a video of me jumping up and down on my uke. But perhaps someday.

I make my living by playing poker online; so repetitive stress is something I sometimes think about. I’ve been thinking about it even more lately since taking up the ukulele a couple of months ago.

Maybe this would be a good time for you to make a video about what you’ve learned about dealing with repetitive stress – how to avoid it, how to deal with it once it happens.

Kevin

lisadmh
    Participant

Ok, here’s my Saturday morning Day Dreaming.

I memorized it in a flash, which gave me the false sense that it would be easy to learn. I’m struggling with melody B especially though, plus some annoying buzzing on melody A.

The change from F to Em is a disaster although I’ve done it a zillion times, and bar chords plague me. I’m starting to get pull offs, but not when on top of bar chords.

Any and all feedback is welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

lalo_eer
    Participant

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by lalo_eer.
    machie
    Participant

Hi, Andrew. I hope you feel better. And hi, everyone. πŸ™‚

After I tried RC101 arrangement for the first time, I tried other 2 arrangements of RC101.
    “Our First Song”

Since I found it hard to hold ukulele, I’m putting my ukulele on my lap. Is this wrong?
    Andrew’s right hand and fingers look beautiful when you playing the ukulele. I always trying to imagine your hand and fingers while playing the ukulele but I can’t well. πŸ™

“5 vibrato exercises”

When I’m playing barre cords, my index finger looks bent. I wonder why? πŸ™

I’m practicing “Drum-like percussive strumming” now.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thanks guys for all the kind words, means a lot! And it’s super awesome to see so many videos in already πŸ™‚

—-

awesomestrings – let’s save those questions for our next lightning round πŸ™‚ But please feel free to post a performance video, I’d be happy to offer feedback.

wabbit – great idea, I will keep that in mind for a future video!

Lisa – is that a new uke? It sounds really buzzy, which I can’t recall hearing anything along those lines in any of your videos. In the past we talked about playing with a swung feel. If I were you, that’s where my focus would be. I think the best way to do that is to play along with my recording and slow it down to whatever speed you need and try to match that feel. You’ve got a really great base established and now your focus should be on cleaning it up and nailing that feel.

lalo_eer – wow, amazing to see someone tackle this! I think it’s the hardest one on the site. First off, make sure you tune before you record πŸ™‚ I watched your performance three times and I think overall, you have great form in both hands and great timing. There are two sections in particular that I think you should narrow in and practice more.

The walk down at 45 seconds in, take a look at how you are pulling that third string down. We always want to try to keep that string even, because if you pull it down, you will pull that note Sharp.

The other section I would work on begins at one minute. It is the diminished lick that walks down. Take that lick and put it to a metronome and practice it as 16th notes. Start slow and gradually build it up to speed.

Overall I’m really impressed and I love to see when you guys memorize pieces. Keep up the great work!

machie – let’s start with our first song. It looks like you are hunched over a little too much, check out this lesson and this one for tips on how to hold the ukulele. I really enjoy watching your progress videos, and you made great progress quickly on this one! Timing sounds great. When you’re strumming, I can hear your nail hit the neck. I’d recommend to strum lower, over the sound hole. Check out this lesson to see where we recommend your strumming hand to be.

For the vibrato lesson, try the single note vibrato with a little more subtle up and down movement. A cool idea would be to try this with the first song (our first song).

So for that barre chord in exercise 5, I can see what you are talking about as your index appears bent. I see that you are forming that chord with your ring finger where your middle finger should be, because it looks like you are using the middle finger to push the index down for Extra Strength. This is actually a bad habit, we want to build finger strength in the index so it doesn’t need a “crutch”. Take that barre chord and move it up the neck, it will be easier to practice higher up because there is less pressure.

Check out this lesson to make sure you have proper form and practice playing one note at a time to see if each note is ringing clearly. If it isn’t, it’s due to one of two reasons: You are not pushing hard enough or you need to adjust the curve of your finger (in this case the middle finger) because it is curving down and touching the second string, essentially muting it.

Hello, I had trouble with the fingerpicking in etude no.11, especially as my fingers, sweat more as I got closer to the finish. Any advice is appreciated to help me and others to improve as well. I notice that I’m not quite ready for the last song, but I still gave it a try and will continue to try again later. Thanks, XD

lisadmh
    Participant

Nope, it’s not a new uke but it’s buzzing like mad, on this song only. User error somehow. Thanks for the feedback. I’ll keep on keeping on!

hafeez3115

Hi Andrew, hope your arms get better. Anyway, here’s my performance of ”I’m Yours”. Though it was a beginner song, i found it a little difficult to stretch my fingers that far and it’s my first ”strumming + picking” song. Hope you enjoy, and any sort of feedback is appreciated.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by hafeez3115.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

awesomestrings, fantastic job on the first tune! Perfect performance! And big improvement on the second one, the feel is much better! Watch out when you get to the second melody in that song as you sped up quite a bit. I’d suggest to practice with a metronome or with the on-screen tab and be cognitive of your timing. For the last song, I’d encourage you to go back and relearn the piece using the fingerings I suggest for the chords. The way you played it is making it much more difficult than it has to be. But, great job overall and I love your enthusiasm!

hafeez3115, thanks for the kind words and wow very good job for your first fingerstyle song! Here is a short video with a few tips for you. And here is the link to the lesson on proper right hand form.

wongbrown

Hi Andrew, hope you are feeling better.
    This is the link for my video. This is my first time using YouTube to upload a video. Hope I have done the right thing. I should have more practice before I submitted this video but due to an upcoming Uku Festival, I am lack of time.
    My video is playing Fur Elise. Looking forward to your feedback. Thanks. / Sheila

lalo_eer
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • The topic ‘Submit Your RC101 Performance for Feedback!’ is closed to new replies.