Toccata & Fugue plus

Home Page Forums Showcase Your Playing Toccata & Fugue plus

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    simonalexander
    Participant

Hi guys. I decided to do a little recording this weekend and laid down two pieces that I’ve been working on for a while. I’ve had trouble with my recording set-up with previous attempts but I spent a little time getting it right and I’m a lot happier with the results this time. The tone was nice and clear but a little thin so I added some studio reverb and a little echo in post. (Maybe a bit much? I don’t know.)
    Anyway, I recorded Andrew’s wonderful arrangement of Toccata and Fugue. I didn’t manage a straight run without hiccups, so you’re seeing the best bits of three recordings

Plus a lovely arrangement of Matt Dahblberg’s, While My Guitar Gently Weeps. (Not available on RC101 but, as it’s Matt, I didn’t think anyone would mind.)

Hope you enjoy them. I’m very happy to receive feedback but more than that, I’m just delighted to share.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Reverb sounds good! The trick is: Less is more. And yours was subtle.

But man, wow! You tackled 2 very hard songs, bravo! I don’t think you really need feedback – keep doing what you’re doing and you’ll constantly be improving. I’m very impressed 🙂

simonalexander
    Participant

Thanks so much, Andrew. That’s really encouraging.

A “proper” musician friend of mine heard the Toccata and suggested that I try the Largo from Vivaldi’s Concerto in D major. She sent me the melody line in standard notation, which I could pick out with a little practice but it’s way beyond me to put a full arrangement together. I don’t know where the “suggestion box” is on RC101 but if you could maybe pop that one in for some dim and distant future date, that would be wonderful.

On a personal note, thank you for all the great work that you do with the site. In these difficult times, the joy of playing the ukulele can be a true refuge for a lot of people. I’m sure that sometimes you must feel the pressure of having to churn out such a huge volume of material to feed the hungry crowd. I’m also someone who has turned a hobby into a full-time career and I know that, as much as it’s a privilege to get paid for doing what we love, professional pressures can sometimes sap the joy.

I just wanted to let you know that what you are doing is so worthwhile and it means a lot to such a lot of people. Thank you.

nthibode

Excellent work, Simon! I really enjoyed that.

Andrew
    Keymaster

You can add that request here, Simon. And TY so much for the kind words. I really appreciate it 🙂

simonalexander
    Participant

Thanks Nathalie. That’s lovely of you. It’s always a treat to hear you playing.

cashmpe
    Participant

Wow Simon. That was really good and inspiring. As a beginner this really gives me something to shoot for. I liked both performances with the studio effects. Very cool!

simonalexander
    Participant

@cashmpe That’s so kind of you to post that. And thanks for your comments re the effects. I liked them but I think I’m going to dial them back juuust a little bit next time.

A full tutorial for the Toccata is on RC101 when you feel ready but don’t be discouraged if it feels a little out of reach right now. What you’re seeing comes at the end of a long ol’ road for me and I was often out of my depth.

Thanks again for your kind words. They really do mean a lot.

Simon

debb1985

Simon great job! I loved your Toccata and Fugue! It is on my list of songs to try 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by debb1985.
    simonalexander
    Participant

Thanks very much, Debb. That’s really kind of you. You’ll have great fun with the Toccata. I loved learning it.

dirk55
    Participant

Hi Simon, nice performance, well played too. And besides, a beautiful song by a man I admire, George Harrison. Maybe nice to tell. George himself was a big fan of the Uke. Every musician who visited him at his Friar Park in Henley on Thames (you probably know 300 km from your hometown) was obliged to a ukulele session. That’s how Tom Petty and Jeff Lynn naturally started to love the uke. Even Dylan had to believe it. And I as an amateur musician too. It is somehow meditative indeed. But as far as I’m concerned that is also due to RC101.

simonalexander
    Participant

Hi Dirk. Thanks for your kind words. Henley-on-Thames is actually much closer to me than you imagined. It’s only fifteen kilometres away. My son want to college there.
    Although I never met George Harrison myself, a pianist friend of mine knew him quite well. But I didn’t know that he was such a ukulele fan. Thanks for sharing that.
    I completely agree with you though, ukulele is a total meditation for me too: a real blessing in these tricky times.
    Great to hear from you.

sebi75

Hi Simon, you played it very very good, I am absolutely impressed. The reverb is a little bit to much, maybe a compressor and an Hall would give you a thicker tone?
    For a medium Player like me, it is a good motivation.
    Greetings Sebastian

simonalexander
    Participant

Hi @sebi75

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I’m really glad that you liked my performance. I had a lot of fun learning it.

I think you are right about the reverb. I will definitely reduce it on future recordings.

Beste Wünsche aus England

Simon 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.