Uke Can Call Me Potato_Lady!

Home Page Forums Introduce Yourself Uke Can Call Me Potato_Lady!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    potato_lady
    Participant

Oh, hello there!

I didn’t seee you there, “seee” with three e’s.

Here’s a bulleted list of my experiences with playing instruments:

— Played pianer (piano) since I was 8 years of age, but haven’t gotten to play for a while because I had to sell my piano, due to its cumbersome size and my mounting poverty.

— Played uke for 2 years but only been consistently playing for the last 6 months. I fall firmly into the “okay” category of playing.

— I own a guitar and can play it with a capo as a uke. So, I can’t play guitar. Lol.

— Enjoy playing classical music on all instruments. Recently learned a Bach song on ukulele incorrectly, so now I have to relearn it. Try not to be intimidated by my mastery, please!

— Found this site and enjoy how the lessons are laid out in a clear and simple way. Even more than the songs, all the side notes of how to more easily play chords and approach different songs has helped tremendously. So, thank you!

Thank you for reading! I’ll ttyl. Gtg, bye!

Andrew
    Keymaster

LOL, I think you win the award for best introduction πŸ˜‚

Glad to have you on-board Potato Lady!

potato_lady
    Participant

Hahaha, why, thank you! I cordially accept that award! LOL!

Question for you: If you play the complete song for the most recent Member Challenge, say, Aura Lee, how much variation is allowed? Does it have to be the exact version from the site? Really I’m asking, how far off the rails can you go and have it still count as a legit entry?

Please forgive that rambling, perhaps foolish question… LOL.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by potato_lady.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

A couple note changes here and there is fine, but it should largely be reflective of our arrangement.

potato_lady
    Participant

That makes perfect sense! It is a very lovely and beautiful arrangement; that definitely isn’t the reason I asked. I just am a manic human being who has trouble coloring inside the lines. πŸ˜‚

All of the songs you have on the site are really beautiful and I look forward to learning them, especially the Rock & Blues one you just posted (though that will likely take me longer to learn than the time for the contest, but that’s okay), but I just wondered if you’ve ever had more open-ended, creative contests–because that is my favorite way to play songs on the uke, with total freedom to vary and explore as the wind takes me, on the strings ‘n’ wings of the uke-icorn-asus (ukulele + unicorn + Pegasus).

If you or anyone read all of that, I apologize…

Anyway, thanks for your reply! I look forward to exploring this site! πŸ˜€

surferjay
    Participant

I’m sure if you post your version even if it does not win we would love to hear.. the real prize is the creativity itself πŸ™‚

Andrew
    Keymaster

Yes! the most recent “creative” challenge we did was September of ’20. Folks got to submit original songs and we had some great entries πŸ™‚

potato_lady
    Participant

@surferjay, oh, thank you! Maybe I will. Having looked around this site a bit more, and looked at a bunch of the lesson songs, including some of the originals, I am reminded how much of a newb I am. Hashtag, humility. πŸ˜‚

@Andrew
    , that’s really amazing! I’ll definitely have to look through that thread! I felt like odds were you had done something like that in the past, a bit sad I missed it. Can I still submit an entry almost two years late? πŸ˜‚ I really appreciate you replying, by the way! Thanks for taking the time. πŸ™‚

Andrew
    Keymaster

Sure! But I’d recommend posting it in Showcase Your Playing as more folks will see it that way πŸ™‚

potato_lady
    Participant

Oh sweet! Thank you! I shall do that at some point soon! πŸ˜€

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.