Uke picks

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear Uke picks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    annemarie
    Participant

Hello!
    Has anyone ever worn finger picks to play the uke? If so, would you briefly share your thoughts on them?
    Thanks!

recdog
    Participant

Hi, I have not used any picks yet. I just keep a good set of fingernails on my right hand. Going from guitar to ukulele I found that I wanted to grow the thumb and index nail a bit longer. Aaron Keim has a video on using finger picks that you might want to check out. Definitely can make for a louder sound. Taimane uses a “Herco” thumb pick for some of her really fast tremolo picking. The “Ukulele” magazine that just came out has an article on using a flat pick.
    thanks, Ron

jinajupiter
    Participant

Hey I was strumming daily banjolele in the circus for three weeks.
    After four days my index and middle finger nail were diagonal from wearing out and it really started to hurt to play so I used an Alaska pick on my index finger.
    The sound was stronger and more clear and I actually liked it.

annemarie
    Participant

Hey, good to know! I was thinking of trying out Alaska picks. Thanks!

jinajupiter
    Participant

I am practicing with an ordinary guitar pick on my electric uke. Beginners are adviced to start with a very thin plectrum 0,58 mm but I enjoy the thicker 1,2 mm better. Must be nice to be able to play tremolos like on a mandoline or balalaika. But I am just a beginner so didn’t try that yet. Just struggling with alternate picking.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.