Welcome Our New Performance Teacher, Evan

Home Page Forums Introduce Yourself Welcome Our New Performance Teacher, Evan

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    phoenixbleue

Hello,
    Welcome Evan, very nice performance on that piece of music.
    My question is towards both Evan and Andrew. I see that you play on Kamaka and respectively Kanilea instruments. Can you compare both brands and advise on what motivated your choice to buy this particular instrument?
    Also, Andrew, you informed your ukulele size was concert (if i remember well, you ordered a new concert with low G). Why choosing concert over tenor like most professional players?
    Thanks to both of you. I really enjoy hearing you play.
    Pascale (Luxembourg)

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Pascale, I’ll be making a video soon covering my current Kanile’a and the low G that I custom ordered. I’ll def be talking about why I chose Kanile’a, so keep an eye out for that video 🙂

Concert size is closer in timbre to soprano than tenor. Soprano has the “traditional” uke tone, which I very much dig! But, it’s all personal preference, there is no right or wrong.

evanjdesilva
    Participant

Hi Pascale, what first got me interested a Kamaka Ukulele was when I saw both Jake Shimabukuro and Kalei Gamiao, my two idols, using a Kamaka Ukulele.
    I was then further convinced when I tried it out and realised that the sound it produces is very beautiful.
    And that is how I came to the decision of using a Kamaka Ukulele. 🙂

meelor
    Participant

Welcome Evan, I’ve been hoping for a version of St. James for awhile. You did not disappoint with either your arrangement, or your performance. Thanks for contributing.

phoenixbleue

Thanks Andrew, I am eagerly waiting for your new instrument review video.

Thanks Evan. I have the same feeling as you. I got interested in this brand seeing (and hearing) performances by various artists among which, Jake Shimabukuro.
    Am i right in saying your ukulele is a Tenor HF3 D2I 2016 (with a plug)?
    May i ask its price and where you ordered it?
    It fits my requirements. However, I live in Europe and the CITES treaty makes the import of such beautiful inlayed models subjects to regulations. So, I am still looking for my dream instrument… 😉

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by phoenixbleue.

All I can say is WOW! Kudos to you, Evan. I hope to be able to play like that someday. I look forward to more of your videos and arrangements in the future.

phoenixbleue

Hello Evan,

Would you please share with us your ukulele training. I read you have been learning and practicing for 5 years. Did you learn with a teacher, with online videos, with books, at music school? How much time do you dedicate to the instrument every day?
    Last but not least, what advise would you give all apprentices that are eager to progress playing the ukulele?

Thanks in advance,
    Pascale

ukandoit

Hello Evan!
    Welcome on board, please take a seat and teach us ukulele, we like to learn.

Nice that the staff of RC101 is growing 🙂
    Congratulations for your first arrangement, can’t wait the next one.

evanjdesilva
    Participant

Thank you crazihippichic and ukandoit 😊

Hi Pascale
    My Kamaka Ukulele is a tenor, model HF-3D2IAFV with pickup. Before picking up the ukulele at the age of 8, I actually started learning the piano when I was 6, and I am currently on theory and practical grade 6. Learning this as a side instrument, I guess the prior knowledge from this has somehow helped in my ukulele learning.

I started by watching a couple of basic ukulele strumming videos on YouTube. Then I was mostly self taught by watching performance videos of ukulele virtuosos for 3 years. I remember Jake Shimabukuro being the first that I stumbled upon when I was surfing YouTube one day. I was so inspired by his playing, that I actually looked at his fingers and his plucking on the YouTube video and copied him the best I could. When I did that, I started to realize that there were different plucking patterns to use and I tried them in my singing and strumming songs. That was also when I started fingerstyles.

Subsequently I had a few one-time private sessions with ukulele instructor about 2 years ago to clarify any of my doubts of the instrumental song I was playing that time. It wasn’t easy. I am ever grateful to get acquainted with a very talented music director who has inspired and mentored me even though he doesn’t play ukulele. From there, I started to arrange songs on my own using the fingerstyle patterns that I learnt. My dad would always listen to me and sometimes give suggestions. My dad plays the drums as a hobby. Occasionally, we would jam together for fun. 😊

Nowadays, I would play for an average of 45 minutes a day. Personally, I would advise others to remember the fingerstyle patterns from songs learnt and apply it whenever appropriate in other songs. When I just started playing the ukulele, if I remember correctly, I attempted to learn a variation of The Christmas Song with some fingerstyle and strumming on YouTube. I faced the computer screen for quite a while before I ended up in tears. 🤣😂 That was when I was 8.😝 Hence, do not give up, keep trying! Keep on strumming! 🎸🤘

phoenixbleue

Wow! Thank you for this very detailled and inspiring answers.
    Even though I am much older than you, i can learn a lot from you and from Andrew’s advices and teaching.
    Keep it up!

cinichol
    Participant

Holy cow, kid. You are fabulous. Very glad you are here!

vidafntn
    Participant

Hi, Evan,
    You are an absolutely amazing musician at such a young age! I am so surprised that you have only been playing for 5 years!! Do you play other string instruments? Are your parents musicians?

It is a great honour and a privilege to learn from you. Thanks for the song ‘St James Infirmary’ It is so beautiful. I am finding it a fun challenge to learn. Thanks also for ‘Danse Macabre’, this week’s lesson. It is a bit beyond my ability right now, but I plan to learn it.

Many thanks for who you are and what you bring to us at Rock Class 101.

Looking forward seeing how your life unfolds.

miztaken
    Participant

Evan, I have been watching your version of Taimane’s “Moon”.
    Your playing is exquisite, almost has me in tears!

evanjdesilva
    Participant

Hi Vidafntn
    Thank you so much for the kind compliment! My dad plays the drum or the percussions for leisure. Ukulele is the only string instrument that I play. 😊

Hi miztaken
    Thank you so much! Your words really encourage me to work hard! 😊

alberta
    Participant

Wow! I’ve been pretty excited for the low G tutorials, you just blew me outta the water with Moon, and St. James Infirmary was my last fave! I’m so stoked to see what more you guys come up with, will be working on Moon til then

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.