What scale is this using?

Home Page Forums Uke Talk What scale is this using?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    becky7777
    Participant

I’ve been having a crazy-stupid amount of fun trying to play this today.

Dumb question though.. Can someone tell me what scale this is, so I can look it up? I’d be able to figure out the rest I think.

robinboyd
    Participant

Cool song!

I use an app called Vocal Pitch Recorder to find out exactly what notes are being sung. Then I input those notes in one of the many “key finder” apps to see what keys they fit. I hope that helps. The Vocal Pitch Recorder was vital for transposing the harmony for Because.

becky7777
    Participant

Woah Robin, 😁 I’m talking about the acoustic part. Knowing what she’s singing would be pretty cool too (I’ll look into those transpose programs/ apps) but I need the scale shape? or kind? I guess, to make finding the other notes easier, and it goes a little lower than low G can at the end so I have to figure out where to go up instead…… That probably makes no sense.. But yeah, the song’s a little old I guess, never heard it till the other night. It’s sooo fun to play though!

robinboyd
    Participant

Actually, I still think we are talking about the same thing.

The singing part will be in the same key as the uke part, but it will be easier for you to pick up the individual notes. Once you work out the notes, the specific sharps and flats should give you enough information to work out the key. There will be various websites that will help you do that. (e.g. if there are no sharps or flats it’s probably C major/A minor).

becky7777
    Participant

I kind of skipped a lot to get where I am now… I really just need what kind of scale to look up and learn. I can probably figure out the notes, key and probably the mode from there which is kind of dumb and backwards I know…

It’s kind of my jumping off point actually learning scales and chords.. (there’s a lot of different scale shapes I think?)

You know I’m all for stupid amounts of research and work at theory, but I need someone to whack me on the head with the Captain Obvious stick I guess, a few times with this one…

robins57

I’ll be honest, I didn’t listen to the whole thing, but it sounds like it’s based on a minor pentatonic scale. Sounds like A minor.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by robins57.
    jinajupiter
    Participant

A minor pentatonic with e flat blue note sometimes
    a c d (e flat) e g a

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by jinajupiter.
    becky7777
    Participant

Thank you, guys. I’m trying to get the rest of If I Fell, down so I can record it, then i’m gunna get back to this. 🙂

Going to see how a pocket full of change works to sub out for the tambourine. (It sounded cool in my kitchen. No clue what a mic is going to actually hear lol) I want to use the djembe to get the kick drum with a beater sound but I might play with electronic drums if it hurts. Friend will sing, conditionally, with me… So im definitely going to try to fade into his voice with backup lol. (That’s not cheating since I need to sing WITH him. 😉) And if my computer hasn’t crashed at that point i’ll export that and I want to play with some more electronic stuff at the end. (Because it’s fun lol.) Too much info I know, but that’s the plan because it has a lot of room to add stuff.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.