What size…

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear What size…

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    andracass
    Participant

… do you prefer? And why? I own a soprano and a concert, never tried a tenor, and I prefer the soprano.

Gaby
    Participant

I also have a concert and a soprano Ukulele. The concert one is of a much higher quality and sounds a thousand times better than my cheap soprano (the first Ukulele i got) and i really enjoy playing it.

But i still like the soprano size better. I just think its even more fun to play a soprano and i really want to try out an even smaller one sometime (i think they are called sopranino or something like that).

I have never tried a Tenor or baritone though. But i will do so, as soon as i get the Chance. And i really need to get me a soprano that sounds a bit better than my current one (although i still love it) ๐Ÿ™‚

Andrew
    Keymaster

Concert feels right to me, the perfect size! And close enough in timbre to a soprano, the “classic” uke sound. Plus I enjoy the extra frets ๐Ÿ™‚

andracass
    Participant

My soprano and my concert are both pretty good quality. My soprano has 17 frets and not the 12 of the majority of them. I really like the deeper sound of the concert and the higher volume on the high keys, but I find the soprano more comfortable to play. So I can not really decide which one I prefer and at the moment I could not buy a really expensive instrument because I do not know which size to choose. I hope that by learning better I will be able to understand which one I like most to play with. I tried the sopranino, but it is only convenient to put in the hand baggage, to play is really uncomfortable for me.

lisadmh
    Participant

I’m all soprano, with 17 frets. I tried a concert but had to take it back. I’m not sure I have the size a chance (it had other problems). Anything bigger than concert causes problems with stretches even when I try in the store.

I think when I buy a low G sometime soon, it’ll be a concert. I keep telling myself no new uke until Andrew has posted two low G songs at my level. โ˜บ

Andrew
    Keymaster

First low G lesson will be a classical piece ๐Ÿ™‚ Not sure on time frame, I’m actually returning my low G I just got as I can’t get a great direct recording with it. Shame, acoustically and playing wise, it’s amazing! Anyways, low G is delayed for a bit ๐Ÿ™

seanvplayer
    Participant

Hi, newbie here, though I have been playing since the age of 12 on different instruments. Started out on drums, and concurrent with that I played Bb clarinet, alto and tenor sax. An injury to my back while on tour caused a change of primary instrument. I have been playing bass guitar for the last 35 yrs. I never really “got” what the attraction to the ukulele was all about. I bought my grandson an Epiphone acoustic/electric Les Paul tenor ukulele four years ago. “Thanks grandpa”, and into the corner it went. Three years ago I bought him a set of electronic drums, and he took lessons for about two years. He recently decided he wants to start to learn the ukulele, and I had been thinking about learning myself, so I bought a Luna acoustic/electric concert ukulele. I was then inspired by Katie of One Music School to learn some Christian songs on it. This led to the inspiration to start an ukulele band at the church where I play with the worship team. Needing to get Very Serious, Very Fast, I have joined Rock Class 101. Oh, and BTW, Now I “Get” the attraction in the ukulele! I have also started playing a baritone ukulele, I Love the warm mellow sound. Cheers!

Andrew
    Keymaster

So cool what you are doing with your church, Sean ๐Ÿ™‚ And Katie rocks!

seanvplayer
    Participant

Andrew, I would Dearly Love to see some instruction on how to play my baritone ukulele. Do I have to tune to GCEA? Or is there some instruction available for DGBE tuning? I’m working my way through the different modules and enjoying myself greatly. Thanks for your attention in this inquiry.

andracass
    Participant

Lisadmh, we have the same soprano, as I read in another topic ๐Ÿ™‚

andracass
    Participant

Now I’m beginning to think the super soprano (long neck soprano) would be the right size for me…

lisadmh
    Participant

With 17 frets on our soprano, I’m wondering what the difference is between ours and a super soprano. It isn’t sold as a super, but isn’t that what it really is? Have you ever gotten to see a super live?

andracass
    Participant

My problem is that there is no volume and sustain at high frets. Some friends of mine have taken a super soprano and the volume they say is much better.
    I was thinking on this model (an Italian ukulele brand owned by Aquila strings):
    Mahi-mahi 77

connie
    Participant

My first uke was a soprano by Kala that I won in a drawing. When I decided to spend some $$, I bought a Tenor Pono. The soprano is probably a better fit for my hand size, but I love the way the tenor Pono sounds.

I also made a couple of travel uses from a single piece of maple. One is a concert and the second one is an electric tenor. Started with frictionless tuners, then quickly upgraded to geared. I used a piezo rod on the tenor for pickup. Since I could only find a six string piezo rod and it was my first time soldering, one of the strings is very quiet when plugged in.

davoravo
    Participant

I have a $5 soprano which I can pull out anytime to play with and a intermediate prices tenor. I actually prefer concert but the tenor was a bargain I couldnโ€™t pass up.

The soprano body is too small for me to control and do rapid fret fingering. With the tenor I have struggled at times to get a good note by fretting the perfect spot within the fret as thevfet spaces are so wide (I think the set up on my may not be very good).

To me a concert feels very similar in size to the tenor when playing but visually retains the cuteness of a ukulele. I made a conscious choice to play uke not guitar so it is important to me that my instrument looks like a uke and not a small guitar. I have a long term plan to trade up to an Opio or Pono concert. A very long term plan.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.