Who is your favorite ukulele artist and why?

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Who is your favorite ukulele artist and why?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

I thought this would be a fun thread to start πŸ™‚

My favorite uke artist is Taimane b/c she is an amazing performer and an incredible musician. I’ve always been the side-man and enjoyed that role when I gig. I like to step out for my solo and then blend back in with the band πŸ™‚ So, when I watch someone like Taimane perform with such confidence, it’s inspiring. And her right hand rhythm and picking technique is insane!

lisadmh
    Participant

Hi Andrew. I was looking forward to seeing some action on this thread because I’m new to the uke and really don’t know any uke artists other than Jake, and him just barely. Considering there are no replies after 3 days, maybe a lot of other members are in the same boat.

Maybe you could post your top three and we could vote? And people could add others if they know them? I know I could use some uke mentors other than you 😊 (you’re great, but to expand my horizons you know).

The one you posted is great.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by lisadmh.
    chipkk

Neat question Andrew and a great way to expand our knowledge of Uke artists. I am just starting so of course found Jake Shimabukuro on YouTube. I do like his style and have spent the last two days listening to his CD’s as I traveled down the east coast and tomorrow on to TN.

Chip

ed_sanderson
    Participant

For me it’s a toss up between Jake, Taimani and James Hill. I’m going with James Hill because he’s Canadian, and because he does things with just a ukulele that everyone else needs a band or a looper pedal for.

ookulee

@ed_sanderson wow thanks for sharing that! It was a really entertaining and engaging performance, I really had fun watching that and it brought such a big smile (: I swear there were at least 5 ppl on that stage

@Andrew
    Taimane is my fav as well πŸ˜€ I love it when she does her “triple picking”. Like you know shit’s about to go down when she reaches for her thumbpick she stylishly hangs on her strings above the nut on the headstock lol. Just a little trivia, Jake was Taimane’s first ukulele teacher when she was 10 lol. Awesome!

Taimane and Jake like eons ago HAHA

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by ookulee.
    ookulee

@lisadmh and @chipkk oh and there are of course many great players like Aldrine Guerrero, Kyas Ryo, Kalei Gamiao, Sungha Jung, Brittni Paiva, Chris Fuchigami. This is of course non-exhaustive, not to mention artists like Vance Joy or Nic who sing and play the ukulele as well, and young ppl like Honoka & Azita, Grace Vanderwaal, Sydney or the prodigy himself uke3453.

Man I sure had fun looking making this short list (:

ookulee

Of course there’s our main man here Andrew Hardel (:

And then there’s this other guy. Hmmm seems familiar

rdc_scotland
    Participant

Eddie Vedder, as he uses very unusual chords that create a beautiful
    song when put together.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s another of my favorite artists, Ukulelezaza, which by the way he is a real cool and friendly guy! I absolutely love his rhythm technique πŸ™‚

classicuke

I just attended UKE-TOBER Fest in San Francisco. There were so many fantastic artists so I can’t pick a favorite. One notable was Aldrine Guerrero who really knew how to have fun with it even using his teeth to play! Abe Lagrimas, Jr. performed instrumental pieces at speed I couldn’t fathom., Cynthia Lin combines singing and ukulele to play songs we all know love and Ukulenny is fantastic with every instrument he picks up including the ukulele. They are all very different performers and really fun to watch and listen to. I hope they do it again next year.

davoravo
    Participant

Hi

This thread is getting a bit old (sorry for resurrecting) but my favourite ukulele player is Ariel McLeary. The virtuoso players don’t really do it for me and I prefer someone more approachable. Ariel has a fun and cheeky personality that really shines through in her videos and her playing. She plays some modern pop songs and occasional jazz standards. She also plays interesting covers of alternate and indie rock but manages to make them all sound like 1930s standards. I keep expecting to see Ginger Rogers sashaying past. Don’t be put off if you don’t recognise the name of a group she is covering, it is well worth listening to.

Her cover of Havanna by Camilla Cabello has gone wild with over 3 million views. Whenever I feel discouraged with my playing I go back to this video.

Start from 1 minute 18 sec if my time stamp doesnt work.

And lately she has started to make a few overlaid tracks that are pretty cool.

As one of her followers said, try to watch her without falling in love πŸ™‚

edit – omg, successfully posted youtube video first time. That never happens. Good coding!

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by davoravo.
    hannah_lee

Awesome question! The first ukulele artist who truly inspired me to play, practice, and learn was Corey Fujimoto. He’s always been one of my greatest inspirations.

tamara782
    Participant

Love all of the above (especially Taimane and James Hill), but a band that I like (and that uses a ukulele): beirut!

glennclewis63
    Participant

Too many great ones to have one favorite (imo), but a few more that are really awesome that I didn’t see mentioned already: Rob MacKillop, Samantha Muir, Troy Fernandez (REALLY surprised that nobody else mentioned Troy), Herb Ohta Jr, John King, Daniel Ward, Peter Moon, Daniel Ho, Florent Atem, Gordon Freitas, and Kimo Hussey.

frenchfries54
    Participant

my favorite is andrew hardel :)…i love his arrangements…

next is this guy paul caca

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.