Who is your favorite ukulele artist and why?

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Who is your favorite ukulele artist and why?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    recdog
    Participant

I would definitely agree with Andrew about Taimane being one of my favorites. I saw her last year when she headlined the LA International Ukulele Festival. I wasn’t expecting her to be my favorite part of the festival but she absolutely was. Her performance and playing were nothing less than incredible. Really enjoyed learning and playing “Moon”, transcribed by the amazing Evan. I play “Moon” every day and wish I could have participated but don’t have access to SKYPE. My favorite Taimane video is probably this of “Neptune’s Storm” on a baritone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwgyfXWczWg
    Would love to find some tab / music to her “Neptune’s Storm”
    Having said all that I would like to put Cory Fujimoto (Ukulele Site) as a favorite player. His musical sensitivity is wonderful.

miztaken
    Participant

Today I got to meet the awesome Kalei Gamaio at NAMM 2019!!!
    He is such a beautiful musician and I love the way he just gets absorbed into his ukulele and music when he plays.
    Warms my spirit and brings tears to my eyes.

Feng E. I want to be this kid.

recdog
    Participant

I have been meaning to say this for a while but with his performance of Moonlight Sonata I feel like I just need to. Other than maybe Taimane my favorite ukulele artist is Evan J De Silva on this site. It is a bit humbling when he is that good at his age. His musical artistry is much better than mine even though I have decades of classical guitar background before diving into the ukulele 2 years ago. I’d love to see concert him in concert. His musical sensitivity is as good as almost anyone’s (not just ukulele) in my opinion.

marni11

He can go super fast! I also like how he can make the Dueling Banjo’s so realistic on the ukulele! Andrew, you need to do a Dueling banjo lesson! πŸ˜€

stianukulele

Here is a name we will hear alot in the future I think: Feng E, very talented young player.

Also love his ukes, aNueNue, anyone tried them? I bought a lower price version in Bangkok recent, liked it, but I know they have 1000$+ series too.

kanae926
    Participant

@miztaken recently posted getting a UC200 Moon Bird. I’ve been wanting one for a long time…they look and sound amazing!

jinajupiter
    Participant

Of course so many great artists. One of the many I am impressed with in particular is Joey Calfa, I think he is from Brooklin. And plays with his band Cousin Earth.

This song makes me happy, though some of my friends find it over arranged:

And I like Sarah Maisel for her tasteful arrangents and clear tone:

And of course just like most of you Taimane, Evan da Silva, Rockstar Feng, Jake Shimabukuru, Gerald Ross with his excellent timing, there are quit some great artists in Brazil, like the Overdriver Duo.

And just a nice song accompanied by ukulele and sort of organ by Mateus Lemos:

miztaken
    Participant

Two favourites which bring tears to my eyes:
    “Paukauila” by Kalei Gamiao

…and a brand new favourite:
    “Ain’t No Sunshine” a beautiful, heart breaking arrangement by Andrew! πŸ™‚

jinajupiter
    Participant

What is the story behind this carpet and the stunning few that I keep seeing with all this amazing various artists?

mymgb1
    Participant

I very much like Kalei Gamiao and Kimo Hussein. Kimo is quite nice teacher and gives so much of his time to explaining and demonstrating. James Hill is also a favorite

jinajupiter
    Participant

I found an artist from Nepal, although the musical emphasizes more the singing then the ukulele accompaniment I found this traditional Nepalese song interesting enough to share.

And two Brazilian ukulele players playing choro or chorinho. A style from the turning og the previous century, normally played on cavaquinho for the melody and on guitar for the accompaniment and the contra melody. Flor Amorosa. Lovely Flower.
    Enjoy. πŸ™‚

becky7777
    Participant

Jina- I have no idea what the real deal is with those giant expensive looking wool carpets but I have a wild guess?

1) Cover cables so moving musicians don’t kill themselves by tripping on a million mic cables from the drums, amp cabinets, microphones, etc.

2) Pretty sure every carpet I’ve seen has been wool (if they’re regular carpets). It will help with absorbing bouncy acoustics and floor vibrations from drum kits and amps or whatever. Tri Studios has them on the floor. Within the first 23 seconds of the video below, you can pretty much see the floor has a lot of them, if it isn’t completely covered, as the camera pans. (Really impressed with how he wrote this one, especially the lyrics.. and Rob.. Now Robert.. πŸ’– no words. πŸ’–)

3) I’d guess looks, and comfort, play in somewhere too. Nice plush carpet will be less tiring to stand on then concrete. Our two outdoor city stages are concrete locally by me. (Both are pretty nice spots actually.) The carpet looks kinda nomadic and “rich” to me, but that’s just me being weird hooking “traveling” people with beautiful carpets i’m sure lol.

Here’s the #2 example though.

I am not sure what the story is with the Hawaii Sessions house though, never looked it up, but yes. I love that view too. πŸ‘ (would have probably sent this to you in private message)

recdog
    Participant

Anyone else going to see one of the Taimane shows, as she swings through California this month?
    I’m going to the one in Santa Barbara on the 22nd. Saw her once before and can’t wait to see her again.
    I still get more of a reaction playing her “Moon” from others than most anything I play.
    -Ron

jinajupiter
    Participant

Hey Becky, I meant the venue, I keep seeing the same venue with the most amazing view popping up in all sorts of vids of various Hawaiian artists. There is also a vid with Taimane but inside with the exact same carpet. So despite pf absorbing sound and dust it is also carrying all this great talents. A magic carpet. :). So where is this place, is it a TV studio, a recording studio, a concert place…. and so on.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.