Who is your favorite ukulele artist and why?

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Who is your favorite ukulele artist and why?

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    prestrock
    Participant

Bill Tapia is my favorite ukulele player. He makes every song his own and I feel like every note he hits is deliberate and necessary.

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWDctmj1awo&w=560&h=315%5D

Another great is Lyle Ritz. He was a professional bass player earlier in his career, but later was known for his ukulele work.

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLIr2jp6dMc&w=560&h=315%5D

Both these Legends have since passed on, but their music holds a place in my heart.

jinajupiter
    Participant

Just found Vinícius Vivas from Brasil And wanted to share:

recdog
    Participant

Just watched the Vinicius video. I find it interesting how some of the pros do so much picking with just the thumb. It is reminiscent of flamenco guitar players that sometimes play long passages thumb only. Taimane and Jake play some long lyrical passages thumb only. I feel like I would need to grow my thumb nail out quite a bit to get the lyrical picking sound. Instead I use a two or even three finger “picado”, with rest strokes to emphasize particular melody notes, carried over from classical guitar studies. Talking w/ Taimane following one of her recent spectacular concerts, I was able to purchase and have her send me a copy she still had of the “Taimane Songbook”, and am having a blast with it. There are pieces that she plays mostly thumb only, but I’m able to get a similar sound using i-m or i-m-a picado. Got to say that Taimane is still my favorite, but still looking forward to seeing a solo Jake concert.

samash07
    Participant

I haven’t really given any thought on this, but currently my favourite players are @Andrew, Evan and Matt. I hope to be as good as them one day.

ramiro
    Participant

I wouldn’t pick a single favorite player, but I just came home from the Taimane show in Berlin and am blown away. She is brilliant and so were the other two musicians Jonathan playing cajon and my namesake Ramiro on the guitar. If you have the chance to go to one of her shows, do it. I first got introduced to her in a Rock Class 101 video on YouTube, thanks for spreading the word!

cinichol
    Participant

I think maybe Daniel Ho, because I like jazz (Miles Davis, Weather Report, Hiromi,
    Coltrain, Holly Cole, lots more). Haven’t yet heard a really dedicated jazz uke player. Anyone know one? Also Feng because he always looks so fully inside of it.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.