Live Lessons are BACK! March 2019 Live Stream Topic: Finger Individuality

Home Page Forums Monthly Live Lessons Live Lessons are BACK! March 2019 Live Stream Topic: Finger Individuality

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

March Live Stream: Monday, March 11th at 7:00pm EST (check your local time zone)

Hey guys! I’m excited to announce that Live Lessons are back, baby! In addition to our weekly Friday lessons, Matt will be hosting a live stream every second Monday of the month.

Each month the topic will be different. This month’s topic is: Finger Individuality. This lesson will focus on the concept of keeping your fingers independent when fretting. This intuitive approach will allow you to build chords more efficiently with everything you are practicing.

LIVE LESSONS FAQ:

Q: What happens in a live lesson, how long is it, and when does it occur?

A: Live lessons are usually 30-45 minutes in length, but can extend until all questions are answered. The first 20 minutes will comprise of the lesson, while the next 10-25 minutes will be a Q&A session for premium members.

Live lessons take place every second Monday of the month at 7:00pm EST (check your local time zone).

Q: Can I submit questions beforehand?

A: Absolutely! Basic and premium members are welcome to post questions that are related to the topic in THIS thread.

Q: Who can watch the live stream, how do I watch it, and how do I chat with Matt and other members?

A: Premium members will be able to tune in and watch the livestream. Premium members will also be able to chat live with Matt during the broadcast.

To watch the live stream, simply navigate to the Live Lessons Page. You will see a YouTube video embedded on the page (if you don’t see it, double check that you are logged in).

If you do not wish to participate in the live chat, you can stay on the page and watch the embedded video. If you do wish to participate in the live chat, you will need to sign up for a YouTube account (100% FREE).

To participate in the live chat, click on the embedded YouTube video’s title. This will open up a new tab and take you directly to the video on YouTube’s website. The live chat box can be found to the right of the video (on desktop). For mobile and tablet, the live chat is embedded inside the video and can be turned on or off.

For further clarification, here is a video showing how to do the above (for desktop).

Q: I can’t make the broadcast. When will live streams be released publicly?

A: The live lesson will be released for everyone to view on the day following the broadcast (second Tuesday of the month). If you cannot make the broadcast, no worries; you’ll still be able to watch the lesson. Don’t forget that you can submit questions for Matt to answer beforehand (see the above FAQ).

This month’s topic should steer up some great questions! So please post all that you have below and I hope you guys join us for the live stream. 🙂

• This topic was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Andrew. Reason: Correction: Broadcast Time is 7:00pm EST
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Andrew.
    becky7777
    Participant

Nice! This is exciting.

I’m not sure I fully understand the topic explanation however… I will wait and find out.

wongbrown

1pm EST is 4am in Australia. Perhaps a little too early for me but I’ll watch it the following day. Thank you for this. I am sure many of us can be benefited.

Cheers,
    Sheila

mattukulele
    Participant

Woohoo! I can’t wait to have our first online session together. We will be working on creating efficient fingering habits and approaching fretting based on what works best for what the situation calls for. It’s a bit hard to explain in text, but works out really well in practice! If you have any questions for the Q+A, and don’t think you’ll be able to attend, be sure to leave your message down below.

robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks for looking that up Sheila. It saved me the hassle. That’s a real shame that we can’t participate. I was looking forward to it.

miztaken
    Participant

aahhh…. Robyn, we will be able to hit stop & replay to our hearts content.
    I will be able to go at my own pace – that is a win for me 😀

I’m normally in work meetings at that time, but if that’s ever cancelled…

I will be watching later regardless. This is very cool.

miztaken
    Participant

Thank you Andrew!
    I am always impressed by your dedication to us (your students), and to your business – your enthusiasm, tweaks and improvements to the RC101 site, your teaching techniques, your ideas for classes, everything.
    I won’t be up at 4am – one of the cons of choosing a teacher around the other side of the world, but with everything you do provide for me – watching the re-run 24 hours later is no hardship.
    I chose you because of what your lessons can offer me at any time of the day.
    Currently in Aus, a local teacher would only make me a very dissatisfied uke student.

Thank you for another wonderful idea, and learning opportunity.

Misty

Andrew
    Keymaster

Whoops! I converted PST to EST backwards. The broadcast time for this coming Monday (3/11) is 7:00pm EST. FYI: This is 6 hours later than I initially listed. Glad I caught this mistake beforehand. Sorry about that guys!

—-

And TY so kindly, Misty! We have a new lesson series that will be launching soon. There’s a hint in this week’s email 🙂

robinboyd
    Participant

Hey, if I’m not mistaken, that would make it mid-morning on Tuesday here. Normally, I’d be able to do that, but I’ll be working as a tour guide on that day, so no good this month.

rickeymike
    Participant

Oh, no! 6pm Central time is when I feed and walk my pup. She’ll just have to be fed and walked an hour earlier. She’s really going to hate that. Haha.

mheiden
    Participant

i love the idea of a live stream lesson; I can’t wait! I have really enjoyed the lesson’s you’ve done so far as well Matt…learned Dream a Little Dream last week

mheiden
    Participant

Question:
    I’m not sure if this fits for the topic, but it is a fingering question. I find that my left thumb joint can get very sore when doing barre chords. Either certain chords…..or when I play for an extended time. When learning Moon it happened….and recently with Dream a Little Dream (only when playing extended times).

Is this just strength needing to be built or is it possibly doing something wrong
    Thanks in advance,

miztaken
    Participant

Oh Lord! I had to think hard to realise that you weren’t DOING bar chords with your thumb…. 😀
    I think I am tired.

Your thumb should only be stabilising the neck not actually putting pressure on it because this is where your pain is coming from.
    The pressure should only be downward from the barring finger/fingers, not upward from the thumb (and sometimes I get it right!!!).
    Simple…. NOT.

Oh, and I have found that if I drop my thumb to the BOTTOM third of the neck curve (more behind strings 1 and 2) and bring my hand forward and around the neck a bit more, I get better pressure from my barring finger (… sometimes… 😀 ).

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by miztaken.
    incywincy
    Participant

This is a great idea. It’s midnight for me so prob a bit late for a lesson. I’ll still enjoy catching up the next day 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.