Live Lessons are BACK! March 2019 Live Stream Topic: Finger Individuality

Home Page Forums Monthly Live Lessons Live Lessons are BACK! March 2019 Live Stream Topic: Finger Individuality

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    robinboyd
    Participant

Hi @mheiden. I’m probably not the best to answer this, but I know exactly how you feel. I had heaps of trouble with pain in my thumb from playing barre chords when I started. In my case, the solution was a combination of getting used to it (and it takes a long time) and getting a uke with a lower action. That may or may not work for you though.

FWIW, playing Moon caused very little pain when I played it through a few times, but I had to stop after that because my hand cramped up a bit. It made practicing difficult.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi guys! Tonight is the night! Friendly reminder on how to tune in and chat live:

To watch the live stream, simply navigate to the Live Lessons Page. You will see a YouTube video embedded on the page (if you don’t see it, double check that you are logged in).

The broadcast is at 7pm EST (check your local time zone). We’ll have the video up on the LL Page 10-15 min before broadcast.

miztaken
    Participant

I can watch the lesson, it is only at 10am – that is awesome!!!!
    Good thing I was doing my random daily plus check of what is going on in the forums and saw your update…
    reminder alarm is set, air con is on (HOT day here), shall warm my brain up on my eucalele, and I am excited

Andrew
    Keymaster

Awesome, Misty! The video can now be seen on the Live Lessons page 🙂 Enjoy folks!

rickeymike
    Participant

Good job, Matt and Andrew. It went (at least for me) easy peasy!

Andrew
    Keymaster

For those who missed it, EP004 is LIVE!

Recap: We are usually taught a specific fingering to use when fretting chords; but depending on the context of the music (i.e. transitioning from one chord to the next), the standard fingering may not be the most efficient to use.

So how do we determine the correct fingering? That’s what we’ll be answering in this lesson.

kanae926
    Participant

Now that I think back on January’s challenge, I remember how much my thumb would start to hurt after practicing Allegro after a while.

The part where Matt mentioned people generally use brute force to make up for lack in dexterity or technique is right on the money. He brought up so many great points that didn’t seem so obvious until he went over it in the live session.

I’ll have to try his suggestions for changing the angle and putting the pressure closer to the fret wire than I had been doing.

What an awesome new way to learn and be able to interact in real time! Thanks, Matt and Andrew!

robinboyd
    Participant

Hey, I just caught Matt’s answer to mheiden’s question. That’s really helpful. Thanks 🙂

curlyuke
    Participant

Hey Matt, I’ve just watched the lesson and thought it was great, thank you 😁

lisadmh
    Participant

Hi. This was a great lesson. I’ve been off the uke for almost 2 months due to life biting me in the butt. This caught my attention and I hope I’m back.

I seem to have lost my calliuses. I’ve got some work to do to get them back. Ouch.

Efficiency tips in the lesson are much appreciated and eye opening. Just watching, I quickly found some improvements that were not intuitive to me, but that will help with some tricky transitions that wreck an original of mine. Thank you!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.