Participate in the April 2023 Challenge! You Choose: $1,745 OR $2,900 Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the April 2023 Challenge! You Choose: $1,745 OR $2,900 Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 162 total)
  • Author
    otzepeng

Heyho,

here it is, my first-time-ever-partizipation. Etude no.1 was challenging enough for me 😅

Greetings from rainy Berlin

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi Andrew.

I’ve been playing around with Fingerpicking Etude 19, and I was wondering about your thoughts on changing up where to play the E in bar 34. You’re playing it on the 4th fret of the C string, but I’d be much happier fretting an E minor chord (A minor shape) and playing the E on the 9th fret of the G string (I could leave the other strings ringing that way). Plus, if you’re already fretting the E minor chord, you are already in the right position for when you go back to bar 1. Otherwise I could play it on the open E string and at least leave the C and A strings ringing. I don’t like the way the other strings are muted when I play it on the C string. What do you think?

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by robinboyd.
    • This reply was modified 1 year ago by robinboyd.
    katazumiri
    Participant

Hello everyone!

Here is my attempt with “Etude 32”.

I’m not familiar with old world music. But I liked the combination of the melody with Danalyze45’s drums in the second part. It’s probably far from old world music… I thought I’d try it anyway 🙂

I added drums from wikiloops “Rock backing track 45681” by Danalyze45 (wikiloops public-license). It was too long and fast for me, I shortened it and slowed it down.

Have a nice day!

ldarrow
    Participant

I am a premium member.
    One of the unfortunate outcomes of my broken finger is that my ring finger is tending to overlap my pinky and they kind of get in each others way. I have started back with beginner’s tunes and am trying to adapt. I have been working on etude 32, but don’t think I will have it. Here is mt attempt at Etude #1 instead.

gi_gi_
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I would’ve loved to have learned the Ascent that Evan helped with but it was like climbing the ascent to Mt. Everest 😂

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by gi_gi_.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@robinboyd – You can do that! I’m not sure why I went down to that note on the third string, it actually makes more sense to do your suggestion since it picks back up in that position.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@otzepeng – Very beautifully played, a great first post! 🙂

@katazumiri
    – Wow Lena! You never stop to amaze me! I loved it! Highly creative and great bass playing too 👏

P.S. Don’t forget to add the premium tag to your posts 😉

@ldarrow
    – Absolutely beautiful take! You have such great tone in your playing. It was a pleasure to listen to 🙂

@gi_gi_
    – Excellent pacing and feel throughout GiGi! Well done!!

ldarrow
    Participant

@andrew thank yo so much. I had a couple of hesitant points in that recording that I wish I had not had. As for the tone, I think that is more because of the beautiful uke I won right here at rockclass101, but I do appreciate your
    kind words as well as these fabulous songs you write or arrange for us.

joannetala

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Here’s my attempt at Fingerpicking Etude #1. I didn’t have much time to practice since I will be going on a trip. Will have to practice at a higher tempo when I get back. It’s a fun piece by the way. Thanks for creating it, Andrew.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

‘Ello friends! 😊

This time I went with Echude No. 1.

I’m in an odd place with these challenges now, I’ve realized. I feel like the beginner songs are not always as challenging as they used to be and I can learn them fairly quickly, but the intermediate songs feel overwhelmingly difficult at times. So, I think I’m going to adopt the strategy of learning the beginner song if it’s easy-ish enough, then working on (one of) the harder songs once I have a completed entry. Otherwise, despite all reason, I feel way too overwhelmed with the difficulty and too much pressure, along with the anxiety of the recording process. 😂 No one needed to know any of that, but just sharing my thoughts.

This song is so pretty and still was challenging, but not overwhelming. It reminds me of Etude No. 5, which is my favorite Andrew Etude. Thank you for these creations. 😊

Sorry the video is so quiet. Still trying to fix that, but I think I have an idea what to do now.

Great entries by everyone so far!! 😊

robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks @andrew. The only reason I can think of is that vibrato sounds really good there.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@joannetala – Beautiful performance and TY for the kind words, Joanne! Hope you have an awesome trip 🙂

@The_Bumble_Bard
    – Beautifully played, Rachael! I’d say keep working on the intermediate tunes. You are def ready for them!

@robinboyd
    – Good point!

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@Andrew, thank you so much!! 😊 I’ll try an intermediate, then, at least give it a try!

katazumiri
    Participant

Thank you @andrew!

As for the bass part, I didn’t have many ideas of my own. But I have a bass player next door. I just showed him part B with drums as a loop and asked what could be done. He said there’s a lot possible and just played over the loop.
    At home I was spoiled for choice, the etude is short and there was so much interesting stuff.
    I showed the results of my experiments here and also to the bassist next door. He thinks it would have made more sense to make Part A a bit simpler. And in Part B, to pay attention not only to the drums, but also to the uke (in terms of rhythm).

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

clempek
    Participant

Hey,
    It’s my seconde participation for this monthly challenge.

I had already posted study number 1 which is more at my skill but I set myself the challenge of trying to finish study 32 which I find very beautiful even if I knew it was too difficult for me … so here it is my try.

Bonne journée à tous.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 162 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.