Participate in the April 2023 Challenge! You Choose: $1,745 OR $2,900 Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the April 2023 Challenge! You Choose: $1,745 OR $2,900 Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 162 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Rock Class 101 Community!

We’re back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #73! We’re teaming up with Kanile’a ‘Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away an AMAZING Kanile’a Ukulele! One lucky winner will win their choice of either a Kanile’a K-1 model featuring Premium Hawaiian Curly Koa or a Custom Build Kanile’a featuring Redwood Top with Milo Back and Sides. These concert sized ukuleles retail for $1,745 and $2,900 USD. These are the same 2 ukuleles Andrew has owned and played for years! Kanile’a will create a duplicate specced ukulele for the winner!

I am beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 4,000 members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players. And I offer feedback on ALL submissions! 🙂

Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.

Pick 1 from the following 4 Rock Class 101 Lessons:

1) Fingerpicking Etude (no. 1) * – A beautiful fingerpicking etude perfect for the beginner player.

* Taught in its Entirety for FREE!

2) Fingerpicking Etude no. 19 – This etude will help you conquer two types of chords that are difficult to play: barre chords and stretch chords.

Note: This lesson requires Low G ukulele.

3) Fingerpicking Etude no. 32 * – Learn an old-world melody that teaches intricacy and speed.

* Taught in its Entirety for FREE!

4) “The Ascent” – An original fingerstyle song that begins with a subtle melody before exploding into virtuosic playing!

** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **

GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:

1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race. 🙂

Recommended Piece: Fingerpicking Etude (no. 1)

2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.

Recommended Piece: Fingerpicking Etude no. 19 [INTERMEDIATE], Fingerpicking Etude no. 32 [INTERMEDIATE], OR “The Ascent” [ADVANCED]

3. Participation Goal: 100 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.

GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:

1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 4 RC101 pieces anytime between Saturday, April 1st till Sunday, April 30th, 11:59pm EDT.

The upload feature on the site only supports photos. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free. 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:

YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel

SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin

2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.

3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.

4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.

5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.

* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.

COMMON FAQs:

1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!

2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.

3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.

4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:

YouTube URL

5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Kanile’a Ukulele. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.

Giveaway Rules:

There will be 3 chances for you to win this ukulele:

First Chance: Participate in our April Challenge: Original Music!

Second Chance: Participate in our May Challenge.

Third Chance: Participate in our June Challenge.

Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries. 

On July 4th at 12pm EDT, I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN their choice of one of the two Kanile’a Ukuleles!

To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.

Basic members can earn up to 3 entries for the prize.

Premium members can earn up to 6 entries for the prize.

You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of April and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).

YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.

Note: Previous Kanile’a winners are more than welcome to participate, but will not receive an entry for the prize.

Grand Prize: Your choice of one of the two ukuleles listed below.

1) $1,745 Grand Prize! Includes:

A) Kanile’a K-1 Concert Scale Ukulele

null

null

null

null

null

UKULELE SPECS

Premium Curly Koa Body (Top, Back, Sides, & Headplate)
    Mahogany Neck w/ Rosewood Fretboard & Bridge
    Paua Abalone Position Dots on Top & Side of Fretboard
    Kanile`a Open Geared Chrome Tuners
    NuBone Nut & Saddle
    UV Natural Satin Finish
    Aquila Strings
    Made in Hawaii

Other Features: Includes Hardshell Case w/ Leather Handle

2) $2,900 Grand Prize! Includes:

A) Kanile’a Custom Build Concert Scale Ukulele

null

null

null

null

null

UKULELE SPECS

Curly Sequoia Redwood Soundboard (Top)
    Milo Back & Sides
    Tortoise Front Binding
    Mahogany Neck w/ Ebony Fretboard, Bridge, & Headplate
    Position Markers & Logo in Sand
    Kanile`a Open Geared Chrome Tuners
    NuBone Nut & Saddle
    UV Natural Satin Finish
    Aquila Strings
    Made in Hawaii

Other Features: Includes Hardshell Case w/ Leather Handle

OUR 8 PREVIOUS KANILE’A WINNERS! WILL YOU BE NEXT?

null

THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!

Kanile’a: https://www.kanileaukulele.com/

Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/

AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!

smokealot
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

1st one!

And a cheater, sorry 😉 But since I already had a video of Fingerpicking Etude I thought I´d get the pressure off of my chest. And to be completely honest: I even submitted it for another challenge.

If it counts as an entry or not: I will surely work on another Etude or at least do a new recording of Number One. (Matt has a beautiful arrangement of Moonlight Sonata which I´m currently working on and I´d love to have more ukulele time left to practice it).

PS: Thanks for the feedback on last months challenge – was a real boost to my struggeling confidence.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@smokealot – Unfortunately, previous submissions will not count. But a new recording will! It’s always great to see both takes to hear how you improved 🙂

jgillard
    Participant

I am a premium member.

Happy April 1st! 🙂
    Here is my entry for Fingerpicking Etude No. 32. It was convenient that I started learning this last week! 😛 It’s a catchy little tune.

Comments / Suggestions are welcome.
    I’m going to start working on The Ascent. That’s probably above my skill level.. we shall see! 🙂 I’ve only watched the performance of it so far…

Andrew
    Keymaster

@jgillard – Beautifully played, Jeremy! Excellent tone and you nailed the feel/tempo boost in the 2nd half of the tune. Well done! 👏

leb397
    Participant

Ref. Etude32, I may have gotten my answer from @jgillard entry (excellent btw)… I was going to ask if we have to “roll” the cord like @steven does or can we strum or pluck it. Being left handed it’s a struggle to roll T,I,M,R for me. Just so uncoordinated.
    I’ll continue to try but not a lot of hope. Beautiful Etude and love Ascent @andrew, although I,m not ready for that challenge. Anxious to see others tho.
    Another gorgeous Ukulele Prize!

leb397
    Participant

Just a quick add from above, correct term is PIMA for rolling the the 1st cord then others.
    🙂

jgillard
    Participant

correct term is PIMA for rolling the the 1st cord then others

PIMA really just stands P = pulgar (thumb), I = indice (index finger),M = medio (middle finger), A = anular (ring finger). Whenever I hear PIMA, I think of right hand classical guitar technique. You were correct when you were asking about a “rolled chord”. It’s an effect similar to a strum but gives a different sound! 🙂 I would say you definitely don’t need to roll the chords if you don’t want to, but feel free to work on doing so if you think it sounds better that way! I can roll ima fine. Even ami. Including my thumb in the mix.. that I need to work on more! (Don’t worry, I am right handed and struggle doing a TIMR roll as well.) It gets easier if I practice it, but it’s not a technique I’ve used a whole bunch…

I may have gotten my answer from @jgillard entry (excellent btw)

Thanks. I was going to record this and post it anyways.. 😀 I’ve got another piece I was working on that I’ll post on the forum too which was unrelated to any challenges.. Thanks for listening.

denisedistefano
    Participant

I’m sooo excited for this next challenge! Even without the amazing prize, I adore these etudes, and stayed up till almost midnight last night digging into No. 32. It’s quite beautiful and fun to play as well. My biggest hurdle will be getting those rolls down, but I’m excited to work on them. Can’t wait to get it polished!

dianna
    Participant

I have a question about Etude 19. Is there a reason we only barre the first 3 strings on fret 7 rather than all 4 strings? I am in the habit of barring all 4….in this case if I barre all 4 then I do not have to move the barre fingers until I move the whole thing down a 1/2 step to fret 6. Is that acceptable? I’m actually finding it more difficult to barre just the 3 strings.

rebeca
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi everyone!
    Here’s my submission. Enchanting melody!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@dianna – You can barre all 4 🙂

@rebeca
    – Very well played! 👏

robinboyd
    Participant

Is it just me, or is Etude 32 way harder than Etude 19? I am gonna do 19 and my wife is gonna learn 32, but I just tried hers, and it’s really hard!

rebeca
    Participant

@Andrew: thank you! 🙂

rafaela
    Participant

@smokealot Great recording, I love how peacful and relaxing you played it! 😊

@jgillard
    & @rebeca Both of you: well played, especially in the second part when the melody speeds up! 👏

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 162 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.