Participate in the August 2021 Member Challenge – Theme: Fingerpicking Etudes!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the August 2021 Member Challenge – Theme: Fingerpicking Etudes!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    shmu88
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi everyone, here is my attempt at Day Dreaming! Even though I’m still struggling with the G chord pull off arrrgggg

Enjoy 🙂

Sam

robinboyd
    Participant

Here is a quick and dirty take of the Travis Picking Etude on low G concert uke. I thought I’d take the opportunity to record outside while the weather was nice. The birds certainly seem to think it’s spring, too. Unfortunately, I think you also got the sound of the snow shuttle driving past, but cest la vie.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by robinboyd.
    Stephen

brettboy – Your rendition of this etude sounds great! You played the first part in a different time signature, and it sounds great like that. I must ask, did you play this in 6/8 instead of 4/4 on purpose? If so, very nice! If not, can you hear the difference or try the rhythm from the notation? Either way, your version is great the way it is!

katazumiri – Very nice job on this one! There’s just one or two spots where some of the notes are a bit too quiet in comparison to the rest due to a slide and a hammer-on. The dynamics are nice, but maybe having just a slight bit more volume in those spots would help. Keep up the great work!

ebetsimo – Great performance all around! Your technique, timing and notes were all spot on! Keep up the great work!

henri0 – Very nicely played! Your notes and timing sound great! The hammer-ons and pull-offs seem to be the one thing that’s hard to hear. For those, a slight bit more force/quicker movement on the hammer-ons, and pulling off at a slight angle to get the notes to sound a bit louder might be the answer. Keep it up, you’re doing great!

saiyara – Great job on this and an excellent first entry! You’re off to a wonderful start and playing great! On Melody B, the melody could be a bit more legato by using the chord shapes/finger patterns Andrew is using. Watch the performance video to see what he does there, and it may help that part sound even better. Keep up the great work, and I look forward to seeing more entries from you!

bethany_guardiani – You’re doing a great job on this one! I know the baritone is tricky to get used to with some of the stretches being a bit farther and potentially having higher string tension. Just do your best to keep your fretting hand wrist at as little of an angle as possible to not cause it to fatigue to quickly. It sounds great, keep it up!

bemarlie – You’re off to a great start, and the timing in the first half of the song is great! I would isolate the part from about 45 to 50 seconds in and play it at a slower tempo to get it consistently. It may help to play the whole song at a slower tempo so that you have the time to keep up with that section without feeling rushed. You’re doing an awesome job!

annefgodfrey – You are doing a wonderful job on this! The notes sound great! It might help to play this one a bit slower with a super steady tempo for now to keep the flow throughout the piece. You are making progress, keep it up!

slr4chums – Great job on both songs! With the Fingerpicking Etude, it sounds like you’re doing great, but pausing between the different sections. I think your goal on that one should be to play through the piece without those pauses. With DayDreaming, it’s just a matter of getting the section around 24 seconds in a bit more comfortable under your fingers. Try slowing the tempo down for the whole song to give your mind/fingers time to prepare for this section. Both performances sound nice, keep it up!

philbateau – Very nicely played. The slightly slower tempo was very consistent throughout, and your notes sounded great! You might be ready to move onto one of the more challenging songs. Keep it up!

samash07 – You are doing a great job on this! Your notes sound nice, and you have the whole song down. Just a tiny bit of extra work on the last few measures of Melody B to work out that slight hesitation, and you’ve got it! Keep up the great work!

malku2603 – You’re doing a good job on this one, and you are staying in time very well! I recommend sustaining the notes at the ends of the phrases in the B Melody for just a touch longer, leaving slightly less space. Keep it up, you’re doing great!

rafaela – That was a very nice rendition of DayDreaming! You had a solid tempo throughout and played each section very well. Wonderful job on this one!

shmu88 – Your performance on this one was very nice. You have the notes and rhythms down. I suggest playing the song slightly slower so that you don’t end up slowing down for the part at 24 seconds in. Why not start at the tempo you slowed it down to in that section? You’re doing great, keep it up!

robinboyd – This is the perfect setting for such a relaxing song. That was very nicely played! It seems like every now and then there is an ever so slight hesitation on a few of the shifts. It’s very slight, so playing with a metronome a few times may solve this. That was very well played, great job!

brettboy
    Participant

Stephen! Thanks Man! Actually I did not play it in 6/8 on purpose 🙂 When i was first learning it I did follow the notation and count One,two,and,three,and,four,and. But I only watched Andrew’s video once and only glanced at the notation a few times after that. I was just noodling though it while thinking I was playing it correctly.

I can hear the difference now but only after You pointed it out! I’m playing like “one,two,three,and,four,five,six” ! But the measures that just have four quarter notes I’m still doing one.two,three,four . So, in a way my awesome 🙂 (but accidentally messed up) performance mixes the two time signatures. Would you say that’s correct?

Stephen

Brett! That’s cool that it turned out cool like that, I just wanted to make sure you knew you were doing that. That was a very cool mistake to make. There were a few measures that you played in 4/4, but I believe they had a similar rhythm to the other spots. When you look at the notation, try to figure out the rhythm from the page if you can. It might be useful to practice reading the rhythms correctly rather than simply relying on the performance video anyway. I enjoyed your performance either way. Cheers!

saiyara

Thanks for the feedback and cheering for me ✌️ I’ll try to go back and follow Andrew’s finger placements and give it a go again. Thank you!!

marianne
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi RockClass101!
    Here is DayDreaming. The Travis picking etude sounds lovely. I will have to learn it soon 😉

Andrew
    Keymaster

@marianne – Bravo! Great playing Marianne 🙂

lhamilton
    Participant

Hi,

I tried the Travis Etude this month —

Linda
    I am a Premium Member

marianne
    Participant

Thank you @Andrew! 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

@lhamilton – Sounds great, Linda! My only tip is to try to quiet the unwanted string noise when doing the single note lick in bar 28. You can cut down on the string noise by muting the open strings with the palm of your right hand. This lesson talks about this technique in more detail 🙂

lhamilton
    Participant

Thanks, Andrew! I’ll take a look.

Linda

wongbrown

Hi all,

My take for August Challenge, Day Dreaming. I think the most challenging part for me is playing Melody B is keeping at the right tempo. I also feel I was holding my ukulele in a slightly tilted angle so I can see the notes I am playing. Not cool posture and wanna improve on that too 😉

Cheers
    Sheila

Andrew
    Keymaster

@wongbrown – Well done, Sheila! I want you to work on keeping the swung feel throughout the piece. Try a slower tempo and play along with me in the tab player. That’ll help you stay locked into that swung feel.

wongbrown

Hi Andrew, yes will keep working on playing alongside your tab player. Thanks a lot for your feedback. Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.