Participate in the August 2021 Member Challenge – Theme: Fingerpicking Etudes!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the August 2021 Member Challenge – Theme: Fingerpicking Etudes!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    katazumiri
    Participant

@robinboyd – You are very attentive!
    That’s right, even though I’ve been here for over a year, I recently uploaded the picture. And yes, even if the spelling is a bit unconventional, “katazumiri” means snail.

I had a friend who was interested in manga and anime. He believed that everyone should have a nickname. I invent a name. But he wasn’t happy with the sound of the name… We went to the library and found in a thick paper dictionary how to do it in Japanese. I copied the transcription from it. It was a Ukrainian-Japanese dictionary, so the transcription looked like this: “катацумiрi”.

Then I moved to Germany and rewritten my nickname in German phonetics. So I became “katazumiri”.
    The google translator says it should actually be “katatsumuri”. But because I don’t know Japanese, I leave it as it is 🙂

Best regards
    katazumiri
    (with friendly support of google translator)

robinboyd
    Participant

That’s certainly a complicated series of events!

bethany_guardiani
    Participant

Here is my entry for August 🙂

I am working on multiple etudes right now because I find them all so relaxing and soothing to play, but Etude No 25 Travis Picking is probably the one I have played the most thus far. It’s such a pretty tune!

ukandrea
    Participant

Andrew, thank you for your valuable video feedback.
    I understand and hear what you want me to improve, especially for the bars 7 and 8.
    I tried, but I just cannot figure out HOW to reach the better connection of the notes.
    I had put already everything in I had learned for the sustain with the left hand and am not sure if the way to improve it lies more in the right hand picking attack like in the feedback you left for Linda?
    Any additional hint is highly welcome.
    Thank you,
    Andrea

bemarlie

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER!

Hi everyone!
    I enjoy practicing the Travis Picking on low g ukulele … still an ongoing process.
    There are some transitions that I want to work on and the timing got a lot better since I am using a metronome app 🙂
    Thank you for watching and go on playing the uke!
    Cheers,
    Marlie

annefgodfrey
    Participant

Andrew, in looking back at past videos, my progress is pitifully slow. However, I am still making an effort & am grateful for your support.

Thank you,
    Anne

Dedicated with love for my late husband, Tom.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@ukandreaA lot of it is feel. Your picking attack, and even how you fret the notes, affects the overall tone. I come from the guitar world, and there’s countless guys trying to chase Eddie Van Halen’s tone – but the truth is – you can buy all his gear, but his tone was in his hands. He’d still sound like himself through a starter setup.

You may want to take a Skype Lesson with Stephen. It would be beneficial to work on this concept with him so that you can get feedback in real-time.

robinboyd
    Participant

Hey @ukandrea – I read your comment and went back and watched your video and Andrew’s response to it. It reminds me of my video below.

For that video, I had spent all morning trying to record it and getting more and more frustrated when it wasn’t working. In the end, I got a fairly clean recording, but I was really really tense, and Andrew picked up on it in his comment.

Yours has the same sort of feel. You just seem tense, and I think the best way to overcome that is just to try to relax and practice some more. Anyway, just my $0.02 worth.

suekulele
    Participant

Fingerpicking Etude (number 1)

suekulele
    Participant

Fingerpicking Etude no. 10 – “DayDreaming”

Not as smooth in some parts as it needs to be, but I still surprised myself in getting through it. 🙂

ukandrea
    Participant

Thanks for your feedback @Andrew and @robinboyd.
    Relaxing sounds like a good approach! I guess I concentrated to much on trying to play in time with the metronome (what I normally don’t do, that was the goal I had personally set for myself for this month). The note connection is getting better already, but I won’t do another recording (as this would be counter-productive to relaxing 😉 )

Happy fingerpicking,
    Andrea

philbateau

Hi hi,

fingerpicking etude no.1 with slightly reduced pace…

samash07
    Participant

Here’s my attempt at Morning Dew, I got a Low G string unexpectedly and was excited to learn this over other tunes. Though for some reason I keep messing up when in front of the camera 😅. when I’m playing it, in my head I hear it correctly but the recording always comes out different? If that makes any sense.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by samash07.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by samash07.
    malku2603
    Participant

Hi guys, here is my first attempt (Fingerpicking Etude no.-1) for the august challenge.
    😁😁

rafaela
    Participant

I am a Premium Member.

Hi everyone,
    for this month’s challenge I chose “DayDreaming”, it is such a happy song that I had a lot of fun learning it!

Thanks for listening 🙂
    Rafaela

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.