July 28, 2021 at 2:08 pm #47769
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with site member challenge #53! WOW, there has now been over 2,500+ members participating in our challenges! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players. 🙂
And I offer feedback on ALL submissions!
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 4 RC101 Lessons:
1) Fingerpicking Etude (no. 1) * – I composed this etude for the beginner fingerstyle player. This song utilizes a four finger approach.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
2) Fingerpicking Etude no. 25: “Morning Dew” * – This peaceful sounding etude is beginner-friendly and focuses on developing your hammer-on, pull-off, and slide technique.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE! (REQUIRES LOW G)
3) Fingerpicking Etude no. 10: “DayDreaming” – In this etude, you’ll learn a cute sounding melody that is played with a swung rhythmic feel.
4) Below is the lesson for Fingerpicking Etude no. 26: “Travis Picking” * – This baritone ukulele etude was inspired by the music from the motion picture, Into the Wild. Its focus is on developing Travis picking technique.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race.
Recommended Piece: Etude no. 1 OR Etude no. 25
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Pieces: Etude no. 10 OR Etude no. 26
3. Participation Goal: 35 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 4 RC101 pieces anytime between Sunday, August 1st until Tuesday, August 31st, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD. This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
There will be 1 winner, selected by random drawing on September 5th. To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
1) $120 Grand Prize! Includes:
THANKS TO OUR SPONSOR!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
Let’s crush this challenge!July 30, 2021 at 5:53 am #47802samash07Participant
Sweet, even though I can probably attempt Day Dreaming now I want to learn something new – 4 finger approach. Always been scared of it, here we go! Great choices as always.August 4, 2021 at 5:47 pm #47883misterbonesParticipant
I picked DayDreaming for the August challenge. And since one of my ongoing issues in many of the previous challenges has been that I tend to play too fast, I specifically challenged myself this time to come up with a rendition that is as laid-back and relaxed as humanly possible for me. So this is a fair deal slower than Andrew’s original version, and believe me, doing that was much harder for me than meeting or exceeding the original tempo. It’s interesting how the character of the piece changes by just slowing down the tempo.
My version sounds almost like a lullaby, which is not too bad of a fit given the title.
Ok, now that I’m done early with the August challenge, I’m going to head right into learning the Motown medely. That’s going to be tons of fun, and I’m sure it’s going to pop up in one of these challenges in a not too distant future 🙂August 4, 2021 at 11:33 pm #47887
@misterbones – I think you nailed it! This was a great idea for a challenge for you. Timing sounds great – and your right about the change in the vibe. But also the little things you do, like the accented strum, give it a sound that’s unique to you. I dig it!August 5, 2021 at 11:03 am #47889bibileleParticipant
Here also DayDreaming. 🙂 I had already learned it in a course so I just needed to refresh it. It’s not yet perfect, but summer holidays are starting so I thought I better record it now. Love this song, it’s just fun to play.August 5, 2021 at 12:02 pm #47890deadbuggyParticipant
Here’s my version of the Travis Picking Etude…played on my prize-winning Islander uke. And, I can attest to the charms of this month’s prize; the Ohana sopranissimo behind me is a blast to play and people get a huge kick out of this tiny instrument. (Andrew, please take me out of the running for this month’s contest…increase the odds for someone else to win this fun little uke)August 5, 2021 at 6:20 pm #47895August 6, 2021 at 5:39 am #47905bibileleParticipant
@Andrew Thanks for your feedback! I will definitely keep on working on this cause this song makes everyone smiling. 🙂August 6, 2021 at 7:33 am #47906deadbuggyParticipant
Thanks, Andrew! I’m such a fan of your etudes…they are the killer app of RC101.August 6, 2021 at 9:01 am #47908kittycatlinParticipant
I did fingerpicking etude #1 😊August 6, 2021 at 11:56 am #47909August 6, 2021 at 4:16 pm #47911clempekParticipant
it’s my participation for the challenge
I’ve a question : how do we know how much time we have before our one year subscription is up?
thx you for everything !
August 7, 2021 at 5:15 pm #47917debb1985Participant
This month I recorded the Finger Picking Etude No. 26 – Travis Picking. I have been learning this one for a bit since it came out and was glad it showed up in a monthly challenge. I really love playing my Baritone. I am still working on the transitions in Melody B. I can get them pretty well, but in front of the camera in varies lol. Enjoy!August 8, 2021 at 8:05 am #47919lyndallkParticipant
Thanks again Andrew for the lovely Etude (I’m doing 26 here). It is lovely. It needs more work, but this is what I can do for this month, and pleased to put something in.
I’m enjoying everyone’s submissions so far and looking forward to more
August 8, 2021 at 10:06 pm #47923qiuyanParticipant
- This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by lyndallk.
I came to know rockclass101 from the Game of Thrones Theme cover, but it was too hard for me to learn back then. I learned hammer-on and pull-off later on, but still found Game of Thrones quite challenging. This Morning Dew came right in time for me to practice these skills! And good opportunity to get back to low-G!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.