Participate in the December 2018 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE to Win Kanile'a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the December 2018 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE to Win Kanile'a!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 290 total)
  • Author
    becky7777
    Participant

After practicing The First Noel daily since the lesson was released, I finally played the entire piece through from memory for the first time last night! I still need to do a long warm up session where I stop and stare at the fretboard 100 times but I might actually be able to record it soon!

I’m still not sure why I’m having such a hard time memorizing chord melody, but maybe this song will help me wrap my head around my issues learning Niel Gow’s Lament For The Death of His Second Wife. (Or not lol, but I have hope!)

Anyone know what that little dial in the left of the Rock Class 101 site does? If I push it, it turns blue. It doesn’t appear to do anything else.

Happy belated Chanukah to all who celebrated too!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Great job, Becky! Look forward to hearing it 🙂

And to answer your ? – it is a WordPress feature that I have disabled. Which is why it does nada.

ukuleleluke

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Loved this arrangement! We Three Kings

Everybody’s sounding so dang good!

rickeymike
    Participant

Right on, Luke! Beautiful

miztaken
    Participant

@Andrew – clarification….

When @leahwooseley plays thumb style, she anchors her hand at the neck not on the body below the sound hole, and just thumb picks at the top of the neck.
    I am thinking I should try this – currently I hate thumb picking because I cannot reach properly or cleanly because of my dinky, short thumb when I anchor my hand below the sound hole.

My question:

“Andrew – is that hold too restrictive?…
    Or do I just need the dreaded “practice, practice, practice”?”

refers to – Will anchoring my hand where the neck meets the body give me playing restrictions as I progress? Am I going to need more mobility with my right hand up and down the neck for thumb picking?!?

Thumb picking really only goes across the four strings, and at this position I can easily reach across almost “gracefully” 😉

…clear as mud.

leahwoosley

@miztaken – I don’t think your thumb looks any smaller than mine! 🙂 I had to go back and watch my video to see what my holding method even was. 😉

mikeramsey2

Thanks for the challenge!

hotmilktea

laurasil your voice is beautiful! And your performance is nice and clean! Great job really!

onemusicschool
    Participant

Hi Robin! Thanks for your question. When singing a musical phrase, try taking a deep breath and fill your lungs from the bottom to the top (from your diaphragm). For example, try concentrating on filling your lungs by expanding your lower belly, and then keep filling your lungs and concentrate on expanding your lungs within the rib cage. Try practicing this by laying down on the floor and placing a large book on your lower belly (slightly below your belly button). Feel the book rise and fall as you breath, and that will help train your body to recognize the feeling of breathing from your diaphragm.

As you are singing “gloria”, imagine the air coming of the top of your head like a dolphin instead of out of your mouth. That helps you not to over sing and use less air. Place your hand over your mouth and sing “gloria” like you normally would. You will probably feel lots of hot air against your hand. Now try it again but this time think about the air coming out of the top of your head instead of your mouth. You’ll feel less hot air hitting your hand as you sing. People have a tendency to imagine their air coming straight out of their mouths while singing and use too much air. That cuts their phrases short. It also might help imagining a candle in front of you as you sing. The goal is to imagine the flame barely flickering in front of your lips while you sing. I wish I could make video for you because this would make more sense, but I hope that this helped. Let me know if you need anything else.

brenna
    Participant

I am a premium member.
    Hallo!!!
    We in Italy have different traditional song for “Natale”. We three kings is beautiful, with a kind of oriental melody.. I never heard it before this challenge.. I tried to play this song, with three kings near me…

Ciao and have fun!!!

rickeymike
    Participant

Bellissimo, brenna!

robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks Katie. I’ll work on that.

I’m a premium member.

This is the First Noel.

peropata
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Here is my submission.

brenna
    Participant

Grazie. In Italy the Kings are Gaspare, Melchiorre and Baldassarre. They came from my “presepe”, Nativity. Long way…

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 290 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.