November 27, 2018 at 7:00 pm #20659
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #22 AND for the 2nd year in a row, we are teaming up with The Ukulele Kids Club. They are a charity that is doing amazing things! Their mission is to harness the healing power of music by supporting music therapy programs and gifting ukuleles to hospital-based music therapy programs so that children in need can be sent home with the gift of music for life.
Last year, our community came together and raised $737 USD, enough to donate 18 ukuleles to children in need! This year I believe we can top this! Here’s how it will work:
I will be donating $5 for each entry that comes in this month, up to $250. So that means, that our participation goal for this month is 50 members.
I also want to go a step further and ask that if you have the means available to please make a donation. Any amount helps, but our community is LARGER and STRONGER than last year and I believe we can top last year’s amount! Our donation goal for this year is to raise $1000 USD for the charity! That would be enough money to purchase 25 ukuleles at $40 a piece. If you do donate, please let me know! When you submit your audio or video performance, please leave a message saying that you did 🙂 Or, if you wish to remain anonymous, please email me.
You can donate directly on their site: https://theukc.org/donations/. This donation page supports U.S. Hospitals. If you live in Canada, the U.K., Mexico, Puerto Rico, France, or Taiwan you can find links to donate to that region in the footer of their website.
Here is a short video which dives deeper into some of the great work The Ukulele Kids Club is doing 🙂
Because of YOUR support, Rock Class 101 celebrated our 5th anniversary on October 27th, 2018! It’s been an amazing journey and a tremendous honor to be a part of such a wonderful ukulele community; a community that feels much more like a family. Words cannot express how grateful I am to be able to pursue my dreams of composing, performing, and teaching. I truly feel blessed.
As a small token of my thanks, we are teaming up with Kanile’a Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away an AMAZING Kanile’a K-1 Premium Koa Concert Ukulele (includes: UkeCrazy Hardshell Case), retailing at $1789.
I am also beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 650+ members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players 🙂 And I offer feedback on ALL submissions!
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 6 Rock Class 101 Lessons:
1) The First Noel – FREE Complete Lesson
2) Angels We Have Heard on High – FREE Complete Lesson
3) I Have a Little Dreidel – FREE Complete Lesson
6) “Father Figure” by George Michael – If you prefer a non-holiday song 🙂
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: The First Noel
2. Intermediate Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: Angels We Have Heard on High (singing optional), I Have a Little Dreidel
3. Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: We Three Kings, Auld Lang Syne, Father Figure
4. Participation Goal: 50 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1A. TO QUALIFY FOR THE GIVEAWAY: Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 6 Holiday pieces anytime between Saturday, December 1st till Sunday, December 23rd, 11:59pm EST. Please check your current local time zone. This month will be a hard cut-off. Submittals past the deadline will NOT be counted.
1B. You may continue to submit between December 23rd to December 31st, although your entry WILL NOT count for the giveaway prize. Furthermore, I will be making our donation to the UKC on December 31st.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
There will be 3 chances for you to win this ukulele:
First Chance: Participate in our October Challenge: Halloween Themed!
Second Chance: Participate in our November Challenge.
Third Chance: Participate in our December Challenge.
Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries. On December 24th, I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN this AMAZING Kanile’a Ukulele! The live stream will be at 12 P.M. EST. To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
Basic members can earn up to 3 entries for the prize.
Premium members can earn up to 6 entries for the prize. You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of October and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).
YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.
1) $1789 Grand Prize! Includes:
LISTEN TO THIS SWEET UKE!
Body & FacePlate: PREMIUM KOA
FretBoard & Pin Bridge: ROSEWOOD
Head Stock: KANILE’A CROWN
Nut & Saddle: NUBONE
Tuning Keys: OPEN GEARED KANILE’A TUNERS
UV Finish: HIGH GLOSS
Strings: AQUILA SUPER NYLGUT (HIGH G)
Other Features: SAND INLAY ON FRETBOARD, INCLUDES UKECRAZY HARDSHELL CASE
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!November 27, 2018 at 7:19 pm #20661
What a wonderful organization! I just donated $100 and signed up for their newsletter. Off to pick a holiday song for the challenge, but before I do…Andrew, that sweater!!!November 27, 2018 at 7:25 pm #20663
AMAZING! THANK YOU SARA! You rock!
And hey, who doesn’t love a good ‘ole fashion family road trip hahahaNovember 27, 2018 at 7:39 pm #20664
Awesome. Here we go again! Thanks for another challenge, Andrew.
I’ll definitely add to the Ukulele Kids Club. That was fun last year. Great organization. Do you know how much it costs per uke? That might inspire some of us.
Oh how I want to learn Father Figure, but alas, I am not an advanced player by a long shot. I’ll still see how far I can get on it.November 27, 2018 at 7:45 pm #20665
I’d better get my act together and finish up Moon! I’m really looking forward to the Angels We Have Heard on High lesson. It should be fun.November 27, 2018 at 7:49 pm #20666
Awesome, Lisa! I think it’s actually the easiest advanced one on here, even if it is the longest. Lemme know if you need help! And the cost is $40 USD per uke.
I’m working on getting the behind the scenes stuff for this Friday’s lesson and it is a really beautiful arrangement from Katie 🙂November 27, 2018 at 8:06 pm #20667
I’m glad to be part of it this year! I’ll definitely donate. Looking forward to the Friday lesson….thinking I’ll do 2 songs this month. We’ll see-November 27, 2018 at 8:23 pm #20668
What a great cause we can all participate in. 🙂 Donated $20 and signed up for their newsletter.
Ideally, I’d like to learn, play and sing Angels We Have Heard on High, but realistically, I’ll probably do First Noel instead because I haven’t cracked the code of singing and playing at the same time. 😂
I ❤️ Christmas songs! 🎄🎅November 27, 2018 at 8:30 pm #20669
@Kanae – the best solution is to marry a singer 😉November 27, 2018 at 10:15 pm #20675
LOL Robin! And thank you so kindly Kanni! You rock 🙂November 28, 2018 at 1:12 pm #20691
I was so hoping you would do a charity drive again. Let’s smash that target!!!
I’ll be going for First Noel initially but if I can, I will also try for the new one as I suck at Barre chords so will give me a kick up the bum to get them down.November 28, 2018 at 1:39 pm #20692
Ditto, kayleighb. Let’s smash the charity drive target.
To say “thank you” to my husband’s surgeon for his taking such great care of the dialysis fistula repair, we made a donation to the Ukulele Kids Club, Inc. in this physician’s honor. This dedicated doctor has given many years of service to his fellowman. Willing to bet he would much prefer a donation that will bring joy to a sick child than any “homemade” cookies or token gift we could purchase.
Thank you, Andrew, for so much joy that is a huge part of Rock Class 101.
Early MERRY CHRISTMAS classmates & friends!
AnneNovember 28, 2018 at 1:43 pm #20694
Def give it a shot, Kay! It will be a great one for your voice! One helpful tip for the upcoming lesson, you can actually simplify every chord down from a 4 string barre to a partial 3 string barre (in other words, don’t play string 4), which will make it much easier.November 28, 2018 at 1:45 pm #20695
Ooo good to know- thanks Drew! Will keep my eye out for that release on Friday 😊November 28, 2018 at 3:05 pm #20697
Thank you so kindly for your generosity, Anne 🙂 I’m so happy your husband is healing!
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.