Participate in the December 2018 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE to Win Kanile'a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the December 2018 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE to Win Kanile'a!

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 290 total)
  • Author
    gstriph
    Participant

Andrew –

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll try those things.

I actually painfully memorized that piece (though certainly tenuously…) so I’m curious what you saw that made you think I was reading it – the choppy nature? I can actually play it pretty fluidly if I have the music in front of me. I can strum open chords pretty fluidly (or at least the timing and mistakes aren’t as obvious…)

I’m memorizing Yellow Bird – as you can see, I screw up in places. I always thought the buzzing was from hitting an adjacent string (not arching my fingers enough?).

Andrew
    Keymaster

@gstriph – Just an assumption, but looks like I got it wrong. Buzzing can also be from not applying enough pressure to a note or it could be from an instrument that needs a setup. Try and play on another Uke to see if it the issue is from the latter.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here is everyone on page 11. Stephen will post page 10 soon.

toastedbrains – I thought it was a great entry, beautiful playing and great work on the sustain! It sounds like your uke was a little (tiny bit) out of tune; so do be sure to double-check tuning before recording.

spencer_davisss – Well done! Awesome to hear you had fun learning it 🙂 I left some advice yesterday (on page 18) for another member, “gstriph”. Check out the first and second points, that advice will be really helpful for you. And the other thing I want to point out, is to scoot your left hand thumb down a little bit, so it is slightly above the middle of the neck. Check out form 2 for a better look at this.

suzie1 – Well done! Great job on form with both hands! It sounds like your uke was a little (tiny bit) out of tune; so do be sure to double-check tuning before recording.

robinboyd – Awesome to hear you sing, Robin! Sorry to hear you were feeling under the weather. So to be honest, it was a bit difficult to hear the ukulele as your voice was dominant in the sound. But from what I could hear, it sounded very clean. It looks like the walk up at the end of the course over, “in excelsis Deo”, is an area you may want to revisit with your practicing. And the only other thing that stuck out to me was that it looks like your wrist was curved downward too much. I’d recommend straightening it out as you can see here.

akshxd – Dude! Major props 🙂 That was awesome and your determination to participate is so appreciated. I hope your hand heals up soon!

chenlihsue – Well done! I left some feedback (on page 18) for another member, “curlyuke”, check out that advice as it will be very beneficial for you. The only other thing I would suggest is to break it down into little sections and follow the steps in our practice guide. This way you can focus on timing (love that I heard a metronome) and note clarity. Keep up the great work!

awiealissa – Amazing! Here is a video with my thoughts for you.

cyberloh – Great job, definitely not a lot of terrible mistakes. What I would focus on is not depressing the strings when fretting chords. So for example, on the G chord (0775), you are tugging down on the strings, this will make the chord sound sharp. The other area I would work on is form for the barre chords. I left “timstacks” (on page 18) some helpful links to some extra lessons for tackling proper form; check those out as they will be helpful for you too.

robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks Andrew,

I was gutted that the uke was so quiet in the video. I’m not sure how to make it louder. I wasn’t singing particularly loudly, so it really shouldn’t drown out the uke like that, but you are absolutely right, it is really hard to hear it. I knew that it was an issue so I was making extra effort to pluck the strings a bit harder, but I think I may have been distracted by all the other things I was working on when I eventually got around to recording.

I definitely see what you mean about the right hand position and the walk up.

One of the great things about this month’s challenge is that it is another song with a lot of arpeggiated barre chords where I need to use a capo, so I can continue working on the same things. Hopefully you’ll be able to hear the uke this time.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by robinboyd.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

It’s hard to do unless you mic both and mix it after the fact. Or you can try to plug-in through an amp, that would boost volume 🙂

lisamcc
    Participant

Thank you Andrew – that’s very kind! I think that singing helped me keep pace a bit better and not speed up, and strangely I was a little less nervous when recording (still terrified… but definitely less so) I am certainly up for more songs but I’m not sure my wardrobe is going to live up to that sweater!
    😉

robinboyd
    Participant

Plugging in would require a pickup, which I don’t have, and micing both and mixing is a bit beyond my technological capabilities. I could try placing the camera a bit lower to enhance the sound from the uke though. Otherwise, I’ve just been experimenting a bit with both Angels and Sound of Silence and I’ve discovered the following:

1) It is quieter with the capo
    2) Angels sounds quieter than Sound of Silence
    3) There is no problem at all when I strum, it is only picking that causes issues.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here is everyone on page 12 and page 13.

hondamom – Well done, and I hear you on how things can get busy especially during the holidays. So this was some advice I left for a couple other members, but I thought it would be great for you too:

1) it looks like you were reading the music. Try to memorize the piece, this way you can focus on how you are playing it – which was the topic of this lesson.
    2) in a previous feedback post (page 17), I left a video titled “thumb attack”. Check that video out, it talks about subtle and strong ways to strum. Changing the attack creates dynamics, which simply means changes in volume. This helps to create more emotion in our playing.

stevenflautner – Great job! So the big thing that stood out to me – and I’m not 100% sure because of the angle being so close, but it looks like your right hand, when picking, is extended outward too much. And I went back to look at your video on Bad Moon Rising, and it looks similar. This was actually a big tip that I left for another member (on page 18), “annefgodfrey”. Watch the video I left for her and see if it applies to you, I think it does. If so, you want to curl your hand inwards more to increase fingerpicking dexter and comfort. Check out this lesson to see how this looks.

Other than that, I would suggest to keep working a little bit on the timing and smoothing it out overall.

ukeland – Great job on the sustain, very lovely! Do go back and double-check as I heard a few incorrect notes; other than that, one area you can focus on is cleaning up some of the buzz notes. I left some advice on that for another member, “gstriph”, on page 18 and 19, so definitely check that out.

russellbarnett – Glad you joined us this month! Playing sounds great! I would recommend the same advice I left about for, “Hondamom”.

hotmilktea – Awesome job! I’m always impressed with your phrasing, it comes so natural to you. So I’d keep working on dynamics, which I DID hear in your performance. Pull some ideas from the video I left on page 17 titled “thumb attack”. It talks about subtle and strong ways to strum. Like I said, you’ve already got some of this going, but I would try to make it a little bit more prominent. Keep up the great work!

llmairalmiquel – Well done, that one was a toughie! So the first thing I want to suggest is an echo of feedback I left above:

1) it looks like you were reading the music. Try to memorize the piece, this way you can focus on how you are playing it – which was the topic of this lesson.

One thing I’d like you to focus on is watching out for how close to the fret you are. So throughout the performance, in a few spots, you are almost on top of the metal fret, this is especially noticeable on the last chord at 47 seconds. When we are on top of the fret bar, and not in the fret, the notes do not ring true. So you want to be as close to the fret bar as possible without actually being on it.

One other area to watch out for is bending at the first joint, which happened at 26 seconds with your ring finger. 9/10 we want to keep the joint curved, allowing us to fret on the fingertip.

But overall, you did extremely well. So focus on your form and keep up the great work!

trentmellington – Great job! So you can see in the feedback above, that I pointed out a few times the importance of memorizing. This allows you to focus on how you are playing the music. Furthermore, this is how I would approach learning: In our practice guide, I suggest to tackle sections at a time, then loop, then review. So take two bars at a time, master those (focusing on timing and clarity of the notes), then take the next 2 bars and do the same. Then piece it together, so bars 1-4. Apply this concept throughout the rest of the song. Breaking it into sections is the best way to learn.

lisadmh
    Participant

Gawsh, I need to spend more time paying attention to other people’s feedback. There’s so much information on here. Other people’s feedback plus my own has just given me a dozen new immediate goals.

Andrew and Stephen, thanks for all the work you’re doing to give everyone individual feedback. With three super busy challenge months, it’s quite a task.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by lisadmh.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Here is everyone on page 14, 15, and any submissions beyond that. Stephen will post page 10 soon and that should complete feedback for the month! 🙂

ellbo99 – Excellent playing, Dave! Great tone on… is that a sopranissimo? Since we had a lot of entries this month, I’m starting to see a pattern in things that folks should work on. I’m going to copy and paste it below:

2) in a previous feedback post (page 17), I left a video titled “thumb attack”. Check that video out, it talks about subtle and strong ways to strum. Changing the attack creates dynamics, which simply means changes in volume. This helps to create more emotion in our playing.

As your comment alluded that you ran short on time, #1 makes sense to do. But #2 is the big one here, think of ways that you can mix dynamics in to bring out more emotion. Because like I said, you’ve got a great tone, so think of how you want to express it.

suzums – Wow, really really fantastic! And dang, great tone plugged in! This was really really good (I said it twice now, lol) – so there’s not anything major to work on, so I’m going to nit-pick:

1) 13 seconds – work on cleaning up the hammer on, pull off

2) 34 seconds – don’t rush the slide

3) 55 seconds – this is the last chord of the song, try a slower strum. It will sound more drawn out and feel more like an ending.

carmen-s – Great job, Carmen! I’d recommend the same advice I left above (#1) for ellbo99, as well as: For your right hand, I’d recommend to scoot your hand back a bit. Check out this lesson for our placement recommendations. And I think I touched in a previous video left for a member, showing to hold the body more-so underneath the sound hole for thumb approach.

jlbross – Great job! I’d recommend the same advice I left above (#1) for ellbo99. In addition to that, take a look at where you place the music. Where it is, requires you to look down and sit in a less-than-ideal playing posture. I’d recommend investing in a music stand, which will allow you to sit properly and not strain your neck 🙂

sudave – Great job! I’d recommend the same advice I left in the post about for, trentmellington.

kanae926 – Another awesome performance from you! You are knocking these out of the park! I thought the sustain was great, and I’m glad to read you were focusing on timing and dynamics. What I’d work most on is the latter; I want to hear more emphasis in your performance – louder louds, and softer lows. But overall, I’m proud of you, keep up the good work!

joannetala – Well done! I can definitely tell that you focused on dynamics, but do be careful not to go too strong; i.e. where notes pop, which we can hear at 1:06. What I suggest to continue working on is timing. Take 8 bars at a time and focus on getting it nice and smooth. Keep up the great work and thanks for donating!

uku_on – Dude, congrats! I hope your wedding was awesome 🙂 and you did Super well on this! It’s clear to me that you know how to practice, because everything looks and sounds great. So what I would do is focus on some of the tricky areas, like the phrase that begins around 40 seconds to 48. And of course the ending, as you stated that was the part that you didn’t get a chance to get to. But really great, this was a toughie!

jenaenlaxson – Great playing, Jenae! And I’m sorry to hear about the flare up, I know how taxing LD can be on the body. I thought you did really well, great tone and nice work on sustaining the notes. So my recommendation for you is the same advice I left in the post above for, trentmellington. But, I want you to tackle bigger sections at a time: 4 or 8 bars. Keep up the great work!

mycb3tm3n – Way to go, Myc, that was awesome! I want you to check out the advice I left in the post above for, “hondamom”. Specifically, #2. One thing that stood out to me is that you have a strong strum attack with your thumb. Try to mix it up a little bit by using a lighter attack; this will produce a sweeter and softer tone. Other than that, go back and target your practice to focus on some of the tricky phrases, such as 33 seconds to 41. You can use the advice I left above for, trentmellington, to get the most out of your practice time. Keep up the great work!

yukalele – Well done! I left some advice yesterday (on page 18) for another member, “gstriph”. Check out the first point, that advice will be really helpful for you. And also, the advice I left above for, jlbross, about using a music stand 🙂

The other thing I want to point out, is to scoot your left hand thumb down a little bit, so it is slightly above the middle of the neck. Check out form 2 for a better look at this.

Thanks Andrew! Yeah, it was hard that time to tune because just put new strings there. Will try to improve more ^_^

incywincy
    Participant

Andrew, thanks, very nice demo of rubato. It really adds depth to Dan’s interpretation. Also love your arrangement for ukulele. The uke has such a sweet voice compared to the steel strings of that guitar 🙂 I love the song and hope I can work up to eventually tackling playing it myself. Right now that feels a bit like saying I hope I can grow wings one day and fly!

suzums
    Participant

Andrew, thank you for being nit-picky! With such a short song, I actually appreciate you breaking it down to specific spots I need to work on. Thank you for your honesty as that’s the only way to improve! I plan on going back to the song and slowing myself down. Thank you for the feedback!

Stephen

Here’s everyone on page 10:

gahanby – Excellent job! Your timing was wonderful, rhythm and tone were great! I like that you never let anything deter you from playing in time. I only heard one chord that didn’t come out correctly, but that was it for the entire song! You sound like you have this one performance ready! I want to challenge you to add your own dynamics, making each phrase start soft and crescendo in the middle and slowly decrescendo towards the end of the phrase. Certain sections might call for a longer build in volume, but I think this would be a nice touch for an already great rendition! Thank you for joining the challenge!

ultramom – I’m very impressed that so many people are playing this song so well! You are doing an excellent job, too! Just as a test, try playing along to a metronome just to tighten up the timing a tiny bit, but I can tell you know the rhythms and all of the notes. I would also experiment with dynamics like I mentioned to gahanby above. Thank you for entering, and Merry Christmas/Happy New Year!

shortman – Your playing sounds great! I’m not hearing the mistakes you are mentioning, and you are staying in time well. The issue that sounds rough might be the ukulele: It seems like the G (3rd fret on E string) is out of tune, but the rest of the notes sound in tune. Either that string is a little out of tune (the E string), or your Ukulele might have an intonation problem causing that note only to be out of tune. Have you tried playing it on a different ukulele? Thanks for entering the challenge! Happy New Year!

ukuleleloo – The pull-offs sound awesome, and so does the main melody (Melody A). Melody B sounds good as well, it just requires a bit more practice before you can play it up to speed. Great work, and keep it up! Happy New Year!

tiff27 – You have a wonderful voice! I enjoyed your version of Noel, and the slight change you did to the chord at the end! Your playing is great, and I feel like the one chord in the whole song that you left out was on purpose to not detract from the singing. Great job on the notes and chords! My only concern is just that your wrist on your left hand might be bending in a bit much. Try to keep it straighter as you play. One thing that can help to achieve this is to have the thumb lower on the neck as you play. It may not be bending that much, but from the angle of the video, it appeared to be in some sections. Great job, and thanks for sharing your voice with us! Happy New Year!

ellisille – Great work in spite of the performance fright! My biggest suggestion is to play with a metronome at a slightly slower tempo (60-70 bpm) several times before recording, as it might give you more confidence in the timing, and a stronger sense of rhythm. A lot of people struggle with this, and the main way to get around it is to practice twice as much as you think you have to so that nothing can phase you! Happy New Year!

coffeemug – You’ve got the idea, it’s just quite a challenging piece! I like that you went for the challenge, and I would recommend playing with a metronome at a slower speed. The hammer-ons and pull-offs should be evenly spaced: making the sound at the same time as if they were plucked. This just requires a lot of slow practice, preferably with a metronome. I hope this helps! Happy New year, and thank you for taking part in this challenge!

jacoob_slezak – Your playing sounds great! On your fretting hand I notice that your fretting hand wrist is bent inwards more than half of the time. I highly recommend straightening your wrist out more, and if it has to bend a little bit, bend outward rather than inward. Look at the video I made for Malachai below. I hope this helps. In spite of this, your version of the song sounds wonderful! Thank you and Happy (belated) Holidays!

kcharles15 – You are off to a great start! You’ve got the notes and chords right, and with a little more practice, they will become more fluid! My main advice for you is to hold notes down a little bit longer and try not to stop the sound by plucking with your thumb too early. This will help the melody sound more legato (smooth), rather than choppy in parts. Happy New Year, and thank you for joining the challenge!

malachi – Happy New Year!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thanks again for everyone who participated this month, over 85 members! This month was AMAZING! We came together as a community and made a HUGE difference in the lives of 46 children by raising $1841 for the UKC. Lastly, thank you for your patience while we finished leaving feedback for everyone.

Be sure to check out our January challenge. There are over 35 members already participating! 🙂

Hope to see everyone there: https://rockclass101.com/january-2019-challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 290 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.