Participate in the December 2018 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE to Win Kanile'a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the December 2018 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE to Win Kanile'a!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 290 total)
  • Author
    ukukelley1
    Participant

First, I’ll say I’ve really enjoyed listening to those who have already posted — great job, everyone.

Here is my December challenge entry – Auld Lang Syne. (A lovely arrangement, Andrew)

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

And I follow my performance with a little creative writing below — the voice in my head while recording. Maybe some of you can relate. I wish all you fellow-learners, trying with Andrew’s help to coax the best music we can out of this delightful little instrument, a joyous holiday season.
    Sheryl

OK, here we go, Sheryl. Make this a good one; lots to do today. No need to be nervous, it’s not like you have to post the first take, so relax. But TRY to do it on first take, because your list for today is a long one.
    OK. Tilt camera down — ukulele, not face. (camera falls) Really. Slight tilt down. Oh, fine. But try to not do that thing with your lips when you’re concentrating.
    OK. Deep breath. Camera. Record….
    Why is my fretting hand shaking? Too much caffeine this AM. Doh! Stop recording. Delete. Confirm delete. OK, more deep breaths to get rid of the shakiness and try again.
    Camera. Record….
    OK, here we go. Doh! Stop. Really, Sheryl? You messed up this easy part? You sight read that before viewing the lesson, for crying out loud. OK, no problem. Delete, delete.
    OK, here we go. Nice. Still OK. Maybe this one….. Arrrrgh! No. Delete, delete.
    OK. Wait. Maybe it’s not just the coffee, it’s cold in here. Change to long sleeve shirt.
    OK. Record….
    Calm start this time. Nice. Alright there. A little plunk, but keep going… NOOOOOOOO!!! The ukulele slipped from my strumming arm. Unbelievable. Stop. Delete, delete. Roll up right sleeve.
    OK. Camera. Record.
    OK. Doing OK. I kind of like this one so far. Still OK. And then totally miss one lousy note. Save this one though, just in case it only gets worse as I keep trying….
    OK. Camera. Record.
    Here we go. Early mistake this time. Stop. Delete, delete.
    Again. Here we go. $%#D@$ Stop. Delete, delete. (Repeat ad nauseum.)
    OK. Record. Plunky, but there. All notes ok, but several hesitations. Delete. Delete.
    OK. Record. Good start. Liking this one. This may be it. Yes! This is going to be a keeper! And then, with that excitement, Sheryl, your two-fret slide just zoomed halfway up the neck! Stop. Delete, delete.
    Another take. Wait…. Unbelievable, someone I’ve never seen is walking a giant furry sled-dog looking beast around my cul-de-sac, no way my dog won’t bark through the recording. Awwwww. What a sweetheart; my little Charley-boy is sensitive to my recording angst and is remaining completely quiet.
    OK. Record. Here we go…. This is OK; not my best, but OK. I wonder if my wrist looks straighter. Andrew is trying to teach me to keep my strumming wrist straight. (Glance at screen to check wrist. Yep, curved again…). aaaaaaand another mistake. Stop. Delete, delete.
    One more, then I really have to get on to the rest of my list today….
    Record. Got through it ok. Listen. No….
    You know what? I generally like that one with the one lousy note. I’m posting it. It’ll be a good step for me in trying to improve on my perfectionism issues and relax….
    Share. YouTube. Copy link. Post to RockClass101.com December challenge forum.
    Smile.

cncamacho
    Participant

Here’s my attempt as a basic member.

becky7777
    Participant

Sheryl – Yep you got how it goes, down perfectly. 😀 It’s about the same with me (especially barking, or maybe the kids broken chair that sounds like hammering or him screaming into his headset mic at his team he’s playing online pvp games with.. Makes me jump every time lol!) minus the video camera stuff until I buy something that will let me work with video+recorded sound.

kanae926
    Participant

@ukukelley1, best video epilogue ever! LOL. Great playing, too. 🙂

I can’t speak for everyone else, but that whole thought process is me every time (sans dog, but I do have a cat that has randomly interrupted a time or two) and I even do the lip thing you mentioned which I didn’t know I did until I played back one of my recordings. I have more bloopers than I can count!

I think Auld Lang Syne is an amazing arrangement, but alas, is above my current capabilities. I learned Silent Night in an hour, but am having the hardest time getting First Noel to click. I can play it okay while I have the sheet music, but I’m determined to memorize it for the video!

Happy holidays, everyone! Only 16 more days until the Kanile’a giveaway…am I the only one counting? 😀

becky7777
    Participant

Kanae- I was going to ask, and Am asking! If anyone has any tips to memorize The First Noel…. I’m only cheating and recording while reading the tabs if I run completely out of time, and I’ll say, if it’s the case.
    🙁

Like you, I think I have the song down ONLY if I have the tabs in front of me. I have to admit chord melody is so far my weakest music to remember. (I might have issues playing lots of things, but I can remember just chords or just twiddly things…. Add the two and I crash and burn… Well, I actually just stop and stare dumbly at my ukulele’s fretboard… LOL.)

robinboyd
    Participant

Sheryl, you’ve captured how it goes perfectly! Even the recording of Moon last month had the cat knocking things over in the background, and it was the third day in a row we had tried to record because I kept having weird mental blanks where I’d totally forget where I am. We eventually gave up 2 days in a row and then used the first recording on the third day.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by robinboyd.
    rickeymike
    Participant

Cheryl, nice playing. Your choice is above my ability . Now why didn’t you heed your own advice and tilt that camera to only show the uke? Andrew has already caught me once reading while playing. LOL

Kanae and Becky: Here’s what I did that helped me memorize what strings to strum on the chords. Play it like you would sing it. Sing it by itself and notice when you hit a high note or a low note. So for the high note, strum through the A string. For the low note, end your strum after the E string.

lyndallk
    Participant

Hi. Here is my submission for December. It’s the last night of Chanukah here (Australia) and so I did the dreidel song with our candles. Hope you like it.

It’s the usual once that record button is pressed so much falls apart. As outlines so accurately by ukukelly. Thanks for that commentary.

I’ve really enjoyed everyone’s postings so far.

I’ll donate to music for refugees here in Oz, where instruments are provided to refugees (including children) who are detained indefinitely here.

I’m a Premium member

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by lyndallk.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by lyndallk.
    lisamcc
    Participant

Lovely playing everyone so far – well done!
    Quick question – I’m preparing Angels we have heard on high…
    Andrew – do you want all 4 verses with a double gloria between each one, or just the first couple of verses,(with all the glorias) like on the playalong…. I was just thinking about my audience of course!
    Thanks,
    Lisa

Andrew
    Keymaster

Lisa, well the rules of the challenge are to play the entire arr. So at least that much. I know that song has more verses… but not required.

robinboyd
    Participant

@lisamcc – Good question! If it helps, I’ve just been doing it as per the chord chart. And thanks Andrew 🙂

miztaken
    Participant

@lyndallk – when you hit that harmonic, all the falling apart pieces are forgotten!!!

I was cursing about the same thing yesterday – just trying to make improvement videos for myself… and every one was evidence that I am just getting worse!!! Unbelievable, up to 8 hours practice a day (on holiday) – and I appear worse on video. All recordings ended up in the bin. 😀

miztaken
    Participant

@leahwoosley – I love your take on First Noel, hat, tree, the works!

AND I like how you hold the neck for thumb style!!!!
    I have a dinky little thumb, see picture – and I find it really awkward to play thumb style whilst anchoring my fingers on the uke body. But your method of holding has inspired me, thanks!

Andrew – is that hold too restrictive? (please say no)
    Currently, any hold or anchoring point just causes awkwardness, and swearing.
    Or do I just need the dreaded “practice, practice, practice”?

ukeninja
    Participant

We Three Kings

Hi Drew,

Let me know if you are able to click on this link. thanks!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@miztaken – I’m not sure I understand.

Looks good eric, but you forgot to write “i am a premium member” on your post 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 290 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.