Participate in the February 2019 Member Challenge – Music Reading Course!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the February 2019 Member Challenge – Music Reading Course!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 158 total)
  • Author
    robinboyd
    Participant

Hey Ricky – I’m at exactly the same place if that helps. February has been a really busy month.

rickeymike
    Participant

So glad to hear, Robin. ha. I am determined to do this. Yep busy Feb. with Mardi Gras festivities starting in one week….study,study.

swabbievet

Hello everyone. My name is Carl May and I am new to Rock Class 101. This is my first every video and challenge and as you can see, I have lots of room for improvement, but that’s why I’m here. Thought I would get my feet wet and get started, so here it goes.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by swabbievet.
    rickeymike
    Participant

Great start, Carl.

swabbievet

Thank you very much. I didn’t have a lot of time to get this out because I never posted a video before and my grandson had to help me. My wife, Katy, and I are leaving today for a month in the motorhome and internet isn’t always the best and there might be days when I can’t get on. Wish me luck.

swabbievet

That was very good Jerry. It looks like you have a very nice ukulele and it sounds great.

mariainct

Have fun on your trip, I’m jealous!

I’m a total newbie, this helps me understand what index to do, thanks!

planetfink
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    Here is my version of Greensleeves. I added the chords and the high Dm at the end. I already know how to read music but haven’t done it much while playing ukulele. I always use the tabs. Since this has been music reading month, part of my practice has been sight reading songs from The Daily Ukulele. I try to pick out songs I don’t already know well so I’m not just playing by ear. It has been useful.

swabbievet

Thanks Maria. It’s been cold in Oklahoma so going to Louisiana about 50mi from New Orleans. It sould be warmer there.

wongbrown

Andrew, I have chosen Scarborough Fair for the Feb Challenge. I start to learn how to play the harmony part. Without the usual YouTube tuition by you, I have difficulties in the LH fingers especially when playing the bar chords of 2 4 5 3 4 5. Also I cannot shift back to 755555 in time. Is it possible that you demonstrate it by a video like as before?
    Cheers,
    Sheila

Andrew
    Keymaster

Sheila, the sheet music contains the chord graphs that show the fingerings to use for the chords. When practicing, just practice the transition from chord 1 to 2. Don’t do any of the fingerpicking out of the chord stuff, focus on getting the muscle memory down to transition. Make sure you are using proper form for barre chords highlighted in this lesson and this one.

You can also watch Brett’s performance to see this progression being played.

If you need additional help, Stephen would be happy to help you out in a Skype lesson.

wongbrown

Andrew, thank you very much for your help. I will try them out this arvo. Thanks for offering a Skype lesson. I’ll let you know if I need it. Cheers, Sheila

Andrew
    Keymaster

My pleasure!

becky7777
    Participant

OK I know many people may not like the college type lecture videos with performance demonstrations but YouTube decided to recommend some videos by the Boston Philharmonic called Interpretation Class with Benjamin Zander their conductor. I found one covering Bourree so I thought I’d share here.

His insights on making the audience ‘get’ the music, and stories are really good if anyone decides to explore the others. It drives home past feedback I’ve learned from.

swabbievet

Thank you Becky for sharing the video. I watched it all the way through and found it very insightful. The emotion we put into what we play really does make a difference.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 158 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.